weekly Granddad's 52's - 2017

I like the second very much for the way your eye is led up the tail and the detail you can see on the bird John. I think I might have cropped a tiny bit off the left. We did have some snow here, but I had no time to take the camera out in it :(

Great pair of images ... I like the OOF apples in #1.

And I missed your ORDER shot ... nice setup and colour. (y)

Last edited:
Great shots for comfort, nice low PoV and super sharp.

Well spotted. I'd crop out the lower apples to draw the eye to the bird.

Nice angle and low POV.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy, I dithered a bit about the crop but decided I liked the lead line.

Unfair, you got snow that hung around. :(
Not sure which shot I prefer, I think the second, but not sure why. Sorry.
Wish we had some snow, it makes a smashing photo John, I'm sure the blackbird was very grateful for those apples, I like the different aspect of them both.
I like the second very much for the way your eye is led up the tail and the detail you can see on the bird John. I think I might have cropped a tiny bit off the left. We did have some snow here, but I had no time to take the camera out in it :(

Hi Tim, Susie, Emma It didn't hang around for long and there was rush for the apples. I like the second more because of the snow on the top of the apple; it sort of emphasises the desperation . Shame it's eye is partly obscured. It was chased away by a fieldfare straight after which then promptly ran away with the apple before I could shoot!

Like the shot, fits the theme really well. I like the colours, with a bit of red in the apple. Great shot.

URL=https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/photos/tp52_3-hairy-9372.15633/]
17584-1485169980-8c9f98d19c636675333f16919b17edcd.jpg
[/URL]
tp52_3 hairy-9372 by granddad john on Talk Photography

I also like the composition and lighting of the knitting, I presume 'Mohair' is the subject :)

Two good clear shots John and I like the addition of the curved knitting needle

Don't go all technical on me; I just "borrowed" it whilst she was out!! The lighting was tricky, either too bright or from the wrong angle. Still Thanks for the kind comments

The first shot is excellently lit John. Nice composition too with the colourful circular needles providing a little splash of colour against the white/grey expanse of the wool and bg. Well taken.

I like the first shot, great composition, well lit and very sharp.

I'd like even lighting but wonderful detail
Thanks Andy, Yes I'm going to have to work on lighting I think. I've only ever used daylight so far but I guess some form of flash/ reflector is needed to control the shadows. I need to do some homework and spend some money I suspect.

#1 is a pleasing image. Yes, muted colour with good detail.

A good choice John. The sheen at the top of the image and internally visually sets it as Smooth. Well done.

When did the BFG lose his ear?
Plenty of detail in the shell in both, but maybe the crop is a bit tight on the first one?

The crop into the shell though, does work well.

(Sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but once you crop in it becomes a concious statement and not something that might be accidental).

I think I prefer the crop into the shell - the first is a bit tight all round for me. Nice choice of subject though and it's set off nicely by the dark background.

When did the BFG lose his ear?
Plenty of detail in the shell in both, but maybe the crop is a bit tight on the first one?

The crop into the shell though, does work well.

(Sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but once you crop in it becomes a concious statement and not something that might be accidental).

The 2nd for me, yes I think the crop is tight but I do like it. Nice and smooth and look forward to seeing your next one :)

Smooth - the second for me i feel the closer crop, shows how smooth the shell is.

Thanks everyone. Yes I'm sure you're right, the first does look a bit squashed in doesn't it. Emma, finally got to Hobbycraft for some black and some white card, hence the better background. Thanks for the tip.

I like the full shot but as others have said a little tightly cropped, maybe putting it in landscape could give another option. (y)

I like the shot of the entire shell, but it is a bit tightly cropped. Otherwise nice colours and textures, and I like the slate you have used as background.

Minerals and where they came from. The rock is granite and the Isle of Mull, next to the hand lens, is where it was formed 466 million years ago. The minerals in this specimenr are quartz, biotite and plagioclase feldspar.

tp 52_5 mineral-9399
by granddad john on Talk Photography

and another closer shot. I had difficulty getting the light right on the plasticised map so that it appeared a bit folded/rumpled without too many highlights

tp 52_5 mineral-9400
by granddad john on Talk Photography

Hi John. What an terrific idea referencing the stones with the map - excellent composition. You did well too avoiding reflections off the plasticised map. Bravo

Very nice composition, a slight nit-pick is that the rock looks a little soft with the focus on the hand-lens, but nicely put together.

Back