weekly Granddad's 52's - 2017

I do like that bread for Rustic, John! Great choice, with some lovely details in the cut loaf. The first is my favourite as it shows off the natural colours and textures

Of your other recent images I like the idea of the brush in Broad and the bright colours of the sweet wrappers, and the vast open space in Remote, with the brooding sky. Both spot on for me (y)

Good subject for the theme, I think the tighter crop emphasises the subject more.

Taken on Christmas day when mad people went into the North Sea in aid of charity.(n)(n) Much dressing up and shivering:) The actiual swim was too far away to get the shot I wanted but lots of stuff at the thawing out tent:D

Hope you all had a great Christmas and here's to a Happy, Healthy New Year.

tp 52 51-1020233
by granddad john on Talk Photography

All I can say is 'Nutters' :)
Is that someone wrapped up in the blue plastic sheet on the left? I tend to agree with Allan on this shot, I find my eyes wandering around the image.
Perhaps if the tog with the antlers was facing more towards us it would give more of a focal point?

A swim in the north sea isn't my idea of fun but certainly a busy Christmas scene,

Just trying to catch up with a few comments before the end of the year :) Fantastic display of veg but definitely a little disturbing, I really like your remote shot, lovely colours but might have been tempted to lose the telegraph pole and I like the square crop of the rustic loaf, makes for a more interesting shot than the whole of the board:)

Festive
It may be busy, but i noticed the photographer in their festive hat, pretty much straight away.

I don't blame you not going out in that John.
I feel that there is a better image in both shots though, cropping in slightly to remove the door and window frames respectively (unless you intended them to be there to frame the shot).
I feel the second shot, of the church, is the stronger and what a fantastic view to have out of your window!

I don't blame you not going out in that John.
I feel that there is a better image in both shots though, cropping in slightly to remove the door and window frames respectively (unless you intended them to be there to frame the shot).
I feel the second shot, of the church, is the stronger and what a fantastic view to have out of your window!

Thanks Tim, I was uncertain about the crops but decided in the end to leave the frames in as a reference, as it were. Yes it's a great view over the hedge; the church clock acts as our kitchen clock and the hour strikes mean you don't have to put the light on to check the time in the middle of the night:D Thanks for all the helpful critique in 2017, perhaps I'll learn from it in 2018:)

Happy New Year

A couple of topical weather shots to finish with John, wet and miserable has been the norm the last few weeks around here and your shots from indoors looking out is a great portrayal, I especially liker the second image with the church in the background (y)

Well done on completing your 2017 challenge and also a good luck for you in 2018's 52 too :clap:

My catch-up comments for the last 3 weeks of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 50 - Rustic - close square crop is my preference, a the crumbs always help the 'feel' in bread shots.

Wk 51 - Festive - when I used to holiday in Suffolk I never braved the water past ankle deep even in midsummer, brave (or mad) people. Like this as a festive activity.

Wk 52 - Weather - for me the second one with the church is better with all the raindrop refractions in focus. You could have cropped out the double glazing frame at the bottom.

Well done on completing your 52, John, and here's to 2018!

I like the busy scene in your Festive image and all the different expressions; lots to look at and very immersive. The brave/mad people here do the 'dips' on the morning of New Year's Day, but I must admit I've never yet braved the elements early enough to take photos of them. Next year I think I should as there's clearly lots to see.

Both images for Weather work well for me, especially the more colourful first one, and they sum up the miserable weather extremely well (y)

Back