weekly Greengo's 52 in 2014 - BALANCE now added

Colin I love the first shot of the second set. The way the steps are almost camouflages by all the leaves and moss makes me think of Tolkien and I'm expecting Bilbo Baggins to come running down them at any second :clap: Great composition and colours too!

Hi, Steps, liking the angle and some cracking steps. I'd pull back on the HDR a tad and I'm not keen on the sky.

#2 has potential and I really like the angles produced by the 3 furthest away steps, perhaps getting lower down would have worked better.

Cheers.

I like the first Colin, HDR is something I've never tried and know nothing about but I think this image suits it (y) Good colour,composition and moody sky, looks good :)

Hi Colin

1st pair of Step images....

I'm quite partial to HDR ,the Fort steps has been done quite well , like the angle , the detail & the colors that the HDR has bought out (y) Not quite so sure about the sky...possibly a smidge overdone but thats just personnal preference , the other issue is it seems a little soft ( something I find with HDR is it can stand slightly more sharpening than usual ! )

The 1nd image of the 1st set doesn't really attract me but a light touch of HDR might just liven it up a bit

The 2nd set...I prefer the waterfall image as it's a bit different to plain steps , shame about the sky but you get what you get

liking the fort steps the best I think... Dabbling in HDR is something everyone needs to go through at some time......

Less is generally more though i think! The white line running between the sky and the top of the steps in this is a sign of overdone HDR so it needs pulling back a tad.

Also like the third of the last three, going up. Nice light coming in on the handrail... wonder if a bit earlier or a bit later that light would hit the steps themselves or not?

Hi First of the first lot and first of the second lot for me the HDR is slightly overdone but quite like it
also like the way the steps are hidden in the second

Hi Colin :)

Steps - A couple of good images for the theme, I like the idea of the second shot, but for me the sky lets it down, and also seems a bit flat, so the first shot for me, much nicer colour wise and the sky finishes it off nicely for me :)

Nature or Natural... I love these lillies that my wife adores so much. They are really photogenic. I was a bit stuck this week as I am awaiting my new lens... so the nifty fifty was used as a compromise...
Also my daughter was in a recent competition and was sponsored by a natural skin care company... the third image is her sash...

View attachment 9191
View attachment 9192

View attachment 9193

Hi Colin, like either / both of the lillies there.

# 1 works as all the petals are there, and the stamen bits are all in focus, possibly a bit central?

# 2 works too, like the angle but feel the central stamen bit should be more in focus, and possibly could be composed more to the right.

Wondering also if a bit brighter would help them pop too?

Even with those minor points, they're really pleasing images. (y)

Hi, number one for me for the fact that the whole flower is there, maybe a little bit brighter as Graham says

Hi Colin

always partial to flower shots & Lily's are a favourite of mine. I prefer the angle of the 2nd one but might be tempted to crop a little from the rhs .Don't mind the clipped petal edges as you've balanced it top n bottom in light but effective mirror frame. Possibly a little more light needed on the staemen as previously mentioned(y)

I'm afraid I'm rather late with my "Action" entry and leaving myself not much time for Mono but I hope to have the latter in before deadline on Friday...

Action was a toughie for me. I was working a lot recently and got very little time off even over the weekend. I wanted to think outside the box for this one and although my take on the theme is a bit less attractive I hope you get the feel for it... I hunted down a clapperboard as this was the first thing I could think of when I seen "Action"... I wanted to step away from an actual action shot of say football or some other sport as I did not get the opportunity due to work. Have a couple of days off now so hopefully get up to date with my pics and crit of the rest of your photos...

C&C always welcome... (y)

View attachment 10138

Thinking outseide the box worked well here - lights camera action indeed (y)

like the mostly mono with the touch of colour from the nails and the wrist bands - I presume the writing was already on it .

The bride with the Guinness is a fantastic idea.. and I absolutely love the idea, the outstretched hand and the smile in the first..

DOF is perfect, and I hate myself for saying this, but the arm a bit, just a tiny bit, to the left would have given us all of her face, both eyes and all of her lovely smile, as well as possibly masking some of the flash bounce of the wall behind her.

Having said that, it still is good, just so close to being great. Blacks and white in that one are perfect.

Action- great idea Colin (y), ........:thinking:......a little motion blur on the clapper would have really made it :)

Yep, agree with Graham, excellent idea dof, focus on the glass (y) but I also thought it was a shame it just covered part of her face :)

HI Colin

original idea for Action & it works a treat (y) onyl slight niggle is the darker band at on the rhs edge ?

Mono....another really original idea , #1 shot for me as it's her smile that makes the shot (y) Agree with Graham re the positioning though....the 2nd image with the DOF of the 1st would hit the nail on the head for me :)

The Guinness shots are good. I like the second one above, which I think is the first of the two on the main 52 thread.

Hi excellent bride shot agree with d00d above the one with the more prominent Guinness works better for me

DK has told me off in the past about using old pics instead of getting the camera out and shooting for the weeks theme...
I had a few ideas for twisted but never got round to them so this evening I wandered around the house, camera in hand and was surprised how many things I found that were indeed twisted...
First up was a whisk... not a very flattering shot so I switched to B&W and thought it looked better that way... using DOF to blow out the handle so the twisted ends are more in focus...
View attachment 10580

Second image is of a trinket box my wife uses for earrings etc... When I looked at it more I seen the twisted yarn through the pattern... Not much to do with a box so I tried to get as close as possible and make for a more interesting perspective...

View attachment 10581

C&C always welcome...

Back