weekly Greengo's 52 in 2014 - BALANCE now added

Hi Colin - of those three it has to be the third.

#2 has that really annoying highlight right in the middle, also think with it on the first letter of swirl it blocks your eye straight away. That would have been an instant "delete" for me.

#1 is similar, but the different highlight and the straighter, more central composition works well.

But #3 with the added PP swirly movement takes it up a level, I like!

(As an aside, might be worth signing up to flickr, the small file size here (39kb :eek:) isn't doing your shots any favours, can you see banding / pixelation in the curtains(?) behind the pot here? Check Judi's thread back in week one for more info. (y))

Hi Colin

3 for me as well...the added Swirl brings it on theme :)

Another vote for no.3 from me too Colin (y).........would have preferred it without the highlight over the 'L' though :)

Linked... These are two pics I took last year and the unfortunate thing about this week is that I am working so will have little or no time to source a picture and the weather is really poor here in Ireland...
Anyhoooo... This is the back bone of a sperm whale which was on display at an old military fort in Donegal... I used my 50mm Prime for the 1st time that day and wanted to capture some real DOF here...
View attachment 8181

The second picture is one of a local bridge where I live... Its linked together by heavy wire... I was trying to capture its strength in the picture with our Guildhall in the background... Sort of old & new in the one pic...
Wee bit of PP to help it along...
View attachment 8182

as always C&C welcome...

And I really like the bridge shot. can't help but feel the processing effect is a bit strong though, for me it takes more away from the image than it adds. WOnder if the shot without the "effect" would also strengthen the fact that you;re on a bridge and taht the link is not just randomly floating.

Hmmm- I take it back - with the grey sky and the variety of things around the edges... it does need something to hold the eye on the centre... Nice alternative to a vignette.

I like the bridge and actually prefer the unedited version, but I'm thinking maybe a tighter crop to take the bottom wire thingy right into the bottom right corner and get rid of a bit of the sky to draw the focus more onto the joint thingy.

Hey Colin :)

There is still five days of the week left, so a shame you have posted archive images again... of the two I prefer the wire shot, although the border I find way too overpowering.

The white wall on the bone shot takes my eye too much, real nice detail on the bones though :)

Edited version of the bridge works for me Colin (y) I'm not a lover of the pp on the first image at all

Following the pressure from Dark Knight there I decided to try out my new 50D... Had an old bike in the garage which could be doing with a very good cleaning but thought the dirt & crap around the chain gave it a grungy feel. Also deliberately left the shadow in to give it an eerie feel as well as conversion to B&W. The colour vers didnt really look much different... C&C always welcome...
View attachment 8431

The filth does add a gritty sense to the picture -- both figuratively and literally I expect. The shadow makes it though as without the shadow you'd just have a picture from a workshop manual.

The filth does add a gritty sense to the picture -- both figuratively and literally I expect. The shadow makes it though as without the shadow you'd just have a picture from a workshop manual.

Yeah definitely needs a clean up but that's why it works. The background shadow that mimics the subject is a nice addition.

Got to agree with these two. :clap:

HI Colin

WOW....that some serious backbone ! Given the restrictions you probably had for shooting angle I think you did well ,good Dof & plenty of detail :) Shame about it being an older shot though.......

Linked 1st shot....I like that , has a sort of olde worlde postcard feel to it......agree about maybe cropping alittle from the bottom to get the wire going out of frame in a corner :)

Link 2....thats better.....the challenge is all about taking new images...well done you (y) Gritty , grimy & a cracking shadow...like it (y)

Step... quick entry for now... I also have an idea for another pic but waiting on the opportunity to grab it is becoming a pain... Might release another before the cut off
First shot I was trying out HDR on a set of steps from an old fort near where I live...

View attachment 8676

Second is an old derelict out building with steps into them. Was trying to get the symmetry of them in a row... Sky was terrible too...

View attachment 8677

C&C always welcome...

Back