weekly Hertsmans 52 for 2017 Rustic,Festive, weather added-and DONE !

Stan beat me to it with his comment :( It's just what I was going to say. Like the bright yellow against the mountain too:D

Nicely composed with the line of snow leading down the the bright gorse, good fit for the theme.

Lovely bright and vivid yellow for the theme. I like the shape of the Gorse plant is similar to the mountain in the background.

Most pleasing image (y)

Stan beat me to it with his comment :( It's just what I was going to say. Like the bright yellow against the mountain too:D

The yellow Gorse works very well against the background and fits the theme perfectly.

That Vivid yellow gorse certainly stands out against the grey of the mountain Mark, composition works very well, well spotted.

Thanks guys, its a nice capture that helps the memories of the trip.This was down a track and the air was full of the scent of the Gorse.....

I didnt initially plan the mountain in the BG, but after some chimping and playing around with apertures, I got the above, which I was happy with.

I had nothing until I saw this Dave.... ;)

It IS a LARGE percentage tho ?

Not so sure about hitting the brief, I've just come back from somewhere where they sell craft beers with 7.7% and more. But the composition works for me.

Large 6.6% lol not really sure on this one :)

Must admit I'm not too sure for the theme Mark, excellent focus on the percentage though.

Not so sure about hitting the brief, I've just come back from somewhere where they sell craft beers with 7.7% and more. But the composition works for me.

Yeah, Ok , a shoehorn then....
PABD, thats me.... ;)

I knew it wasnt great for the theme, but I saw the shot and just really liked the outcome.
Onwards and upwards....

It's your take on the theme so as long as you like it that's the important thing. One of the great things for me about the 52 is that I hope to end the year with some shots that I'm proud of and maybe wouldn't have normally taken, sounds like this is one for you.

I like the composition and the focus/narrow DOF.

:agree: .... it's just good to see what others are thinking, seeing and indeed, drinking! :eek: do you mix it with white lightning cider to make a snakebite?

Hi Mark,
Vivid - Works nicely on two fronts, the sharp focus vs the oof background and the vivid yelows vs the blue/grey of the background. Nice one.
Large - Works for me, I knew exactly what you were getting at with that shot. 6.6% is quite large for beer (I was selling some 3.3% Tillingbourne last night). I like how the bottle itself becomes one with the dark background.

It's your take on the theme so as long as you like it that's the important thing. One of the great things for me about the 52 is that I hope to end the year with some shots that I'm proud of and maybe wouldn't have normally taken, sounds like this is one for you.

I like the composition and the focus/narrow DOF.

Cheers, Im with you on the whole 52 ethos thing....

Nowt wrong with the odd shoehorn. What a belting bottle.

Cheers.
Thanks!

:agree: .... it's just good to see what others are thinking, seeing and indeed, drinking! :eek: do you mix it with white lightning cider to make a snakebite?

Yuck! Waste of a good ale !

Hi Mark,
Vivid - Works nicely on two fronts, the sharp focus vs the oof background and the vivid yelows vs the blue/grey of the background. Nice one.
Large - Works for me, I knew exactly what you were getting at with that shot. 6.6% is quite large for beer (I was selling some 3.3% Tillingbourne last night). I like how the bottle itself becomes one with the dark background.

Cheers Tim

You'd have to go easy on that one Mark :D I agree with Tim about the bottle blending into the background - nicely done.

Thanks Em

And so on to Architecture....
Soooooo manu possibilities from Rome. Took about 250 pics all together.

Chose this one as its probably a view that not everyone will have seen. This was taken on the first floor of the Collosseum, looking in towards the arena.....

The Collosseum by Mark P, on Flickr

Nice framing and a lot of broken architecture to see! I wonder if a portrait crop would work better...

Nice framing and a lot of broken architecture to see! I wonder if a portrait crop would work better...
Cheers Bernd, not enough height in the arch to make it work in Portrait mode......

Like the repeating arches following though into the distance, nicely captured with details throughout.

Lovely textures in all that brickwork. Exposure just right with that shadow detail and managing the highlights in the bright sunlight. Good shot Mark.

The landscape format works for me too. Great detail ... don't know if you did any out-of-the-ordinary metering to capture that(?)

Hi Mark, I haven't visited your thread since the first couple of weeks so I've just had a look through and picked out my favourites so far. Hairy is a cracker, really well lit to show the details and textures of that unusual seed pod and you've found the perfect contrasting background. The Lego men against the YMCA picture background were a great idea for Routine, and perfectly posed and arranged :) Evolved is another good idea and I think you were being too hard on yourself with your comments; it's an original idea and a good final image.

Using gorse for 'Vivid' is a fantastic, intelligent take on the theme :rolleyes: but whereas I opted for a close-up of the blooms yours has a cracking background that echoes the shape of the gorse bush itself. Finally, the Colosseum is a great subject with so many options, and you found a lovely angle here with the various shapes and textures and the lovely warm light. The clever framing makes for a very pleasing image :)

Last edited:
Like the repeating arches following though into the distance, nicely captured with details throughout.
Thanks

Nicely done with so much to look at. The landscape format works for me with enough detail in the shadows to retain interest.
Cheers Em

I remember visiting there a few years back, fabulous isn't it, and such a brilliant atmosphere too.

I can understand your being spoilt for choice, but that one works perfectly, especially if you zoom in and view all the detail.
Thanks Susie

Lovely textures in all that brickwork. Exposure just right with that shadow detail and managing the highlights in the bright sunlight. Good shot Mark.
Cheers, I am pleased with it.

The landscape format works for me too. Great detail ... don't know if you did any out-of-the-ordinary metering to capture that(?)
Thanks D...just bog standard metering - but Im finding the D500 does do it exceptionally well.

Hi Mark, I haven't visited your thread since the first couple of weeks so I've just had a look through and picked out my favourites so far. Hairy is a cracker, really well lit to show the details and textures of that unusual seed pod and you've found the perfect contrasting background. The Lego men against the YMCA picture background were a great idea for Routine, and perfectly posed and arranged :) Evolved is another good idea and I think you were being too hard on yourself with your comments; it's an original idea and a good final image.

Using gorse for 'Vivid' is a fantastic, intelligent take on the theme :rolleyes: but whereas I opted for a close-up of the blooms yours has a cracking background that echoes the shape of the gorse bush itself. Finally, the Collosseum is a great subject with so many options, and you found a lovely angle here with the various shapes and textures and the lovely warm light. The clever framing makes for a very pleasing image :)
You are too kind Andrea...

#1 for broken for me but #2 is a very nice panning shot and like the flames under the car.

And transport is a nice juxtaposition of the quaint old moggie with the supercharger grafted on.

Hi Mark,
Architecture - All those different angles offend my OCD... You'd have thought they could have used plumb lines when they were building it ;) That is an interesting viewpoint on the Collosseum, I've only ever seen it from the outside.
You've done well not to get any people in there. Did you consider an HDR?
Broken - A bit of t-cut and that'd be right as rain. That is some spectacular destruction, but I guess that's what things like nitrous do to engines eventually. Good find, spot on for the theme.
The panning shot wins though, you've got the panning spot on, and the flames add to the impact.
Transport - Someone I knew used to run a Moggie, though his was a pickup and only had a Rover V8 + Nitrous (It was in the Rover V8 Challenge)
I don't recall it being as pretty as this one.

Nice panning shot, if the engine is not broken already I'm sure it will soon be...

Transport - with that extension sticking out of the bonnet I'm not sure if that car is roadworthy... Great PoV, but with this kind of events it is difficult to keep the clutter out of the shot.

Transport, good point of view and an interesting subject. I don't think I've seem one like that before.

Bits of Broken engine ... all a bit one dimensional, but I don't know how it could be done better.

The flying car with sparks ... nice job :clap:

And the Moggie ... totally wacky ...

Hi Mark :)

Sorry I appear to missed some of yours, so quick catch up

Large - Bang on focus there, such a very shallow depth of field that works very well at that angle, I'm glad we can still read the label and that the background is not distracting at all :)

Architecture - A great shot of the Collosseum, you did well to get no people in it, nice strong sunlight and good details in the shadows, well exposed and composed (y)

Broken - Damn that sure is :LOL:

Transport - Cool dragster image, splendid blur and again a real good composition, love the sparks too, very cool image :cool:

#1 for broken for me but #2 is a very nice panning shot and like the flames under the car.

And transport is a nice juxtaposition of the quaint old moggie with the supercharger grafted on.

Thanks !

Like them all, but my pic has got to be the great panning shot, great and well taken and cool with the flames coming from under the car (y)(y)

Cheers Dave - the flames are caused by the Clutch exploding.This happened right after my panning swing had stopped, so I hit the shutter and prayed.....

Hi Mark,
Architecture - All those different angles offend my OCD... You'd have thought they could have used plumb lines when they were building it ;) That is an interesting viewpoint on the Collosseum, I've only ever seen it from the outside.
You've done well not to get any people in there. Did you consider an HDR?
Broken - A bit of t-cut and that'd be right as rain. That is some spectacular destruction, but I guess that's what things like nitrous do to engines eventually. Good find, spot on for the theme.
The panning shot wins though, you've got the panning spot on, and the flames add to the impact.
Transport - Someone I knew used to run a Moggie, though his was a pickup and only had a Rover V8 + Nitrous (It was in the Rover V8 Challenge)
I don't recall it being as pretty as this one.
Not a fan of HDR tbh, but Im pretty pleased with this unusual view from a well known destination.

Transport, what a great machine. Pity about the Morrisons bag :)

Nice POV and exposure.

Cheers.
Car meets/pit shots are notoriously hard to keep clutter free sadly. Im not one to spend hours removing stuff in PS Im afraid.

Nice panning shot, if the engine is not broken already I'm sure it will soon be...

Transport - with that extension sticking out of the bonnet I'm not sure if that car is roadworthy... Great PoV, but with this kind of events it is difficult to keep the clutter out of the shot.

Agrred....

Transport, good point of view and an interesting subject. I don't think I've seem one like that before.

I bet!

Bits of Broken engine ... all a bit one dimensional, but I don't know how it could be done better.

The flying car with sparks ... nice job :clap:

And the Moggie ... totally wacky ...

Cheers D

Hi Mark :)

Sorry I appear to missed some of yours, so quick catch up

Large - Bang on focus there, such a very shallow depth of field that works very well at that angle, I'm glad we can still read the label and that the background is not distracting at all :)

Architecture - A great shot of the Collosseum, you did well to get no people in it, nice strong sunlight and good details in the shadows, well exposed and composed (y)

Broken - Damn that sure is :LOL:

Transport - Cool dragster image, splendid blur and again a real good composition, love the sparks too, very cool image :cool:

Thanks Dk, not many "got" my Large shot, but I liked it for the reasons you mention too.

I do like that panning shot with the car framed by the hoardings and the lines in the road - nicely done!

Thanks Em....

Hmmm. Miiniiiimaamllllisiiitic...
Hard to spell, let alone photograph. This ones way out of my comfort zone for sure, and Ive never shot so over exposed in my life!
However, I am reasonably pleased that it meets the brief, albeit not that originally.

Minimalistic2 by Mark P, on Flickr

Hard to do white on white but you have done a really good job the teacup is still defined against the BG with some nice shadow, very good indeed

Back