weekly IanD's 52 For 2018 (Week 11 - Wet)

Thank you

That's actually a sundial

No more shandies and scary movies for you then

Reactions: LC2
Good idea for the theme, nicely done. I might have cloned out or dodged down the two brighter objects in the background

Stark - I prefer the colour photo too
Over - Good take on the theme good DoF

Good idea for the theme, nicely done. I might have cloned out or dodged down the two brighter objects in the background

Cheers Chris - I did have a little go but it looked a bit of a mess

Stark - I prefer the colour photo too
Over - Good take on the theme good DoF

Thanks very much Minx

Works well, But very shallow, possibly too shallow? o_O

Works well, But very shallow, possibly too shallow? o_O

Cheers David. TBH, didn't want to be any less shallows I was trying my hardest to hide all the clutter in the garden as that's the only place I could photograph at the time

Game over, very nice and another cleverly thought out shot. Very crisp clear and sharp :)

Great idea, but very shallow DoF, maybe a bit too shallow? The black king and queen are already a bit out of focus...

Great idea, but very shallow DoF, maybe a bit too shallow? The black king and queen are already a bit out of focus...

Thanks Bernd - you're not the first to say that about the DOF - maybe it is a little too shallow and I see your point. It's a shame I had so much clutter in my mum's garden that I was trying to 'hide', but it's great seeing everyone's feedback. Keeps me on my toes and keeps me thinking and learning (hopefully)

Moving the chess board to the least cluttered area in the garden would be my first idea ;)

Great minds think alike on 'over'! Nice depth of field, I might have preferred the camera angle coming in from the right.

Week 0 - 4 ; #0 That works well in b&w ; #1 Great expression and focus and fits theme well ; #2 That is an impressive fry-up, oh, the paper I get it :whistle:; #3 Either the second b&w or the colour for me, but b&w for theme. (That is catch up done) Week 4 - Good choice of subject, I have an Isle of Lewis set somewhere but not the fancy board. Like the shallow focus but even so there is still a bit much going on in the background.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing about 1 in 7 each week, so this week you got lucky :)

I was conflicted about your Stark images, Ian, as the colour version is a lovely scene with a very welcome blue sky, but for the actual theme I think it has to be B&W. Your first version was slightly flat but you nailed it with your edit and that becomes the overall winner :)
Over is a great take on the theme and your choice of narrow DOF is spot on to isolate the sharp details of the pieces and tell the story (y)

So, this one's going to be totally marmite to everyone viewing it - quite dramatic and over edited on the sky but I felt that for me, it needed something more than just a tree and I personally like the effect. I think it makes it look magical and mystical, from maybe a Merlin time era

The tree itself, is on the grounds of Waveley Abbey ruins, the abbey itself, dates back to 1128 AD so the tree must be of a great AGE too, gotta be 400-500 years at least

Waveley Abbey Tree by ***tuttifrutti***, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a lovely old tree looks like it has a fascinating root system too

What a fabulous tree!

That tree is absolutely stunning what a loverly find some great details in there. Certainly fits the theme for me.

Great subject for the theme, I personally prefer the root detail shot, as you say the first is a bit Marmite...

Hi Ian, what a great old tree, nice capture and those roots look so solid.

I like the processing of the sky, make the tree stand out.

I was thinking about an old tree as well, but could't think of any near to me.

Pete

What a nice find for Ageing, fab sky and the slightly OTT vignette works just fine. (y)

I thought the tree as a whole was impressive but that root system is something else. Lovely pictures both. Is it in your garden? :D

I don't mind the processing on the first shot, it suits the image and really highlights the tree which, after all, is the subject. Great shot.
The second one is excellent, love the intertwining root.s

I do like the highly processed image, and if that's all you had posted, that would have been great (imo).
However, that knot of roots is fantastic. You can imagine the children of the forest having an entrance there maybe...

Good take on the theme Ian and nicely shot. That's my second idea for this theme that's been kiboshed :), although I was going to go for a two for one.

Good take on the theme Ian and nicely shot. That's my second idea for this theme that's been kiboshed :), although I was going to go for a two for one.

Cheers Lee - I did a similar theme to someone else the other week with the chess pieces and he made the comment that he makes a point of not looking at any other images for that week's theme until he's done his own - also my mantra now.

I'm sure you could do one like mine but interpret it totally differently (angles, lighting, better knife definitely!)

I like the mono Stark image.
Age I prefer the shot of the roots.
Over is a great take on the theme, and personally I think the DOF is spot on.
Sharp is another great take on the theme. I was considering something similar, but stuck with my first idea in the end, partly because we had no lemons in the house :)

Age is a wonderful photo, very well processed!

Sharp is a clever idea, and you have done well with creating a good background for your photo!

Back