Incy's 52 for 2018 Week 9 Abundance

Edit My Images
No
As I work in the food industry, Christmas time is usually very manic so I haven't been out and about all that much due to work load... so here is my take on the practice theme .... 'My area' ... this is my 'corner' of the front room.....

my area by Incy R, on Flickr

Nice one, though looks better in the larger image on Flickr. Hope you get to see a bit more daylight in the rest of the 52:D

I'm with John, the Flickr version looks stonger.
Not sure if it's the black background on flickr, or the size (don't be afraid to use up to 1024*X on the bbcode link :) )
The black background makes it seem slightly lighter, I think that's the kicker.
Works well for the theme. it's certainly a den.

Yep, definitely better on flickr, interesting take on the theme, looking forward to more.

That looks like a nice spot and marked territory... First theme done, good luck with your 52 week challenge (y)

It is a comfy spot, been mine for a few years now :)

Nice one, though looks better in the larger image on Flickr. Hope you get to see a bit more daylight in the rest of the 52:D

Thanks, I am hoping to see a bit more daylight, but being naturally nocturnal will have to see how that goes ... maybe a theme within a theme.

Love it as I nearly did the same, but my area is cluttered, a nice shot for the theme.

Clutter is good, it defines the space more.

I'm with John, the Flickr version looks stonger.
Not sure if it's the black background on flickr, or the size (don't be afraid to use up to 1024*X on the bbcode link :) )
The black background makes it seem slightly lighter, I think that's the kicker.
Works well for the theme. it's certainly a den.

I will remember to opt for the larger size on the code, thanks.

Yep, definitely better on flickr, interesting take on the theme, looking forward to more.

Thanks, I will do my best to keep up.

Flickr is deffo better, interesing image....

Thank you...

Welcome Incy, and good luck with your 52. That's a different take on the theme and works really well as a study of your own area of the house. I like the dark tones, and agree that it looks good in the larger version on Flickr. Looking forward to seeing more of images (y)

Welcome Incy, and good luck with your 52. That's a different take on the theme and works really well as a study of your own area of the house. I like the dark tones, and agree that it looks good in the larger version on Flickr. Looking forward to seeing more of images (y)

Thank you, I will have to remember to chose the larger size when copying the code.

welcome to the 52 challenge, good start with your first image.

Thank you.

Nice and dark, very comfortable looking.

The sofa is well 'worn in' so very comfortable, I lost count the amount of times I have woke up on it :)

I did take the exposure down a bit as the light I have above it was making things too bright for my liking.

Looks you you've got your cozy spot sorted. I agree the Flicker version is better, I think the darker background lifts it.

Not a great shot, something I have been thinking about for a few days, but the actual taking of the picture was a lot more difficult than I thought.
Old street light with a very yellow glow made it look even worse so I converted to mono.

Gate by Incy R, on Flickr

Gate is a well taken shot, but for me it`s too dark to really get a good look at the gate, just lifting the shadows a bit would bring it up :)

I will have a look at reducing the shadows a bit.
I should have taken a bit more time taking the picture really, but even though it is a quiet road and very little traffic, there seemed to be a car coming through every few minutes.

Last edited:
Good scene here and can see what your trying to attempt, my distraction is the engraving to the top right and just looks a bit soft

I'm all for the mono

Blimey, you really were taking this at the dead of night, judging by the setting you have very little light to play with.
With the high iso and mono conversion it does give a kind of horror feel (though you might want to take a look through some of @SamuelSlade007's images from the past couple of years to get some ideas for the dark genre).
It is a bit soft though. Was the camera struggling to focus, or perhaps were you hand held?
(Actually I suspect you were hand held at 1/6th of a sec (so fair play keeping the blur down) as if you were on a tripod, then you could have gone to a few seconds and a lower iso, adding grain in pp if you so wanted).

Last edited:
I like the darkness and the B&W but it doesn't look well focused to me. o_O

Good scene here and can see what your trying to attempt, my distraction is the engraving to the top right and just looks a bit soft

I'm all for the mono

Thank you. I am not happy with the focus but that is my fault for rushing the shot.

Blimey, you really were taking this at the dead of night, judging by the setting you have very little light to play with.
With the high iso and mono conversion it does give a kind of horror feel (though you might want to take a look through some of @SamuelSlade007's images from the past couple of years to get some ideas for the dark genre).
It is a bit soft though. Was the camera struggling to focus, or perhaps were you hand held?
(Actually I suspect you were hand held at 1/6th of a sec (so fair play keeping the blur down) as if you were on a tripod, then you could have gone to a few seconds and a lower iso, adding grain in pp if you so wanted).

The only light was a street lamp behind me, it is an old lamp with a very yellow glow.
It was hand held and I had to manually focus, I did have a tripod with me but didn't use it due to rushing the shot and even though it was getting late (21:45) there were quite a few cars about which made me rush even more. I may go out later next time, maybe around midnight when there is less chance of anything getting in the way.
I have noticed a couple of their images, I will have a proper look at their work :)

I like the darkness and the B&W but it doesn't look well focused to me. o_O

Not well focused at all, first time trying this type of shot and it has taught me a fair bit on what to change/try for the next time.

I like the darkness and moodiness of you photo of a gate, but as others have already mentioned, it is a bit soft.

It was hand held and I had to manually focus, I did have a tripod with me but didn't use it due to rushing the shot and even though it was getting late (21:45) there were quite a few cars about which made me rush even more. I may go out later next time, maybe around midnight when there is less chance of anything getting in the way.
Hand held, 1/6th sec. You were on a hiding to nothing so actually you did pretty well all considering.
The received wisdom is to take this kind of shot just before it goes black, so you get a deep blue (and the camera can focus).
However, if you want it truly dark, some tricks are:
Tripod - so you can reduce iso, lengthen shutter and have no camera shake.
Manual Focus - use the live view and zoom. If you want to A/F, take a torch and shine it where you are going to focus :), focus, then set to MF.
If you have people going past.
1. If the shutter speed is long enough, they won't be visible
2. Take a look at this video for ways to automagically remove transient objects.
https://phlearn.com/tutorial/automatically-remove-objects-photos-photoshop/

Hand held, 1/6th sec. You were on a hiding to nothing so actually you did pretty well all considering.
The received wisdom is to take this kind of shot just before it goes black, so you get a deep blue (and the camera can focus).
However, if you want it truly dark, some tricks are:
Tripod - so you can reduce iso, lengthen shutter and have no camera shake.
Manual Focus - use the live view and zoom. If you want to A/F, take a torch and shine it where you are going to focus :), focus, then set to MF.
If you have people going past.
1. If the shutter speed is long enough, they won't be visible
2. Take a look at this video for ways to automagically remove transient objects.
https://phlearn.com/tutorial/automatically-remove-objects-photos-photoshop/

I was after the total darkness look, in hindsight I should have used my tripod, I want to give this style a few more goes so will definitely be using some of the tips.
Good video, I hadn't realised PS now had the ability to remove objects automatically, have always done it manually before... I think I am subscribed to Phlearn, will heck.

As others have said, you've done well to get a shot at all hand held. I like the way the metallic paint along the top of the gate shows up. Good choice of subject for the theme. We all learn:)

I can see what you were aiming for and it's a good first effort. The top of the railings stand out well in the dark, B&W is a good choice and you've achieved a gloomy and almost creepy feel to the scene, only let down by the focus problems. I bet next time you'll use the tripod and ace it :)

Very Dark and for a handheld shot I think the focus is pretty darn good.

As others have said, you've done well to get a shot at all hand held. I like the way the metallic paint along the top of the gate shows up. Good choice of subject for the theme. We all learn:)

I can see what you were aiming for and it's a good first effort. The top of the railings stand out well in the dark, B&W is a good choice and you've achieved a gloomy and almost creepy feel to the scene, only let down by the focus problems. I bet next time you'll use the tripod and ace it :)

Very Dark and for a handheld shot I think the focus is pretty darn good.

Thanks ... I will definitely use the tripod next time, may even go out and try it again after I finish this current block of night shifts :)

Hi there and good luck with your 52, you’re off to a great start, and I love your idea for People, composition is really well thought out, figures we’ll posed, I’m looking forward to your shots for the weeks ahead.

Thank you :)

Your submission for (wooden) people is a clever idea and well composed.

Back