weekly LC2's 52 for 2015 Thread - Week 52 : Christmas

Week 29 : Pale (Take two)

Braving the cold and damp for the Sept 2015 Blood Moon.
The sky over W London stayed suitably clear, so here are a couple more for Pale
(DK - This can be one of my missed re-shoots :) )

Around Midnight, the Full Moon in all it's glory

Full Moon 28 Sept 2015
by Tim White, on Flickr

Around 4am - The Blood Moon. This has had a little cropping and noise reduction (oh, and a plane removed!).
Either AF was struggling or the there was so little light that the blood moon shots have all come out a bit soft. ISO 3200 and a little NR isn't going to have helped either. I guess I need a lens faster than f/6.3 to get a really good shot when there is so little light available.

Blood Moon 28 Sept 2015
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim. Noise - that engine looks awesome. Can imagine the deep throated rumble coming out of that. I haven't tried taking any of the moon (and didn't stay up for Blood Moon) but both these look just fine to me Tim, well done. :clap:

Reading back through your thread, the discussion on leaded windows is an interesting one. The pair of windows in your photo look to have one as a replacement and one older one with differing types of glass but I am no expert.

I have just spent the afternoon by invitation at Salisbury Cathedral, in the glass workshops. At Salisbury they do work for other organisations requiring skilled lead work and glass, but the cost is phenomenal although their skill is exceptional too. They can renovate and rebuild even broken and shattered glass, which regrettably is a necessity with vandalism being prevalent. A truly interesting experience by very skilled craftspeople.

If only I could cut a piece of glass so easily and accurately!

Cheers @Carl Ayling, I do like the engine shot, it screams power to me. The Blood Moon shots were not the greatest in the world, I struggled with getting sharp focus in the very low light, and Live View wasn't helping at all (I could also do with a better tripod, the weight of the 150-500 causes the lens to sag :( ) I do like the first shot of the moon though. It's really the first time I've tried in a very long time.

@shreds, yes I thought that too, presumably the left hand window has been vandalised at some point :(
Those two windows were some of a vey few without "No valuables left in this church unattend" labels on them...

Hi, a little closer to the engine maybe, but I know nothing about cars/engines don't even have a driving licence, looks very clean for an engine though

What no trains! They're noisy. And I'm sure that shiny V6 is too. Fascinating!

Anyway, I like the photo, Nice clean detail shot under the bonnet, Focus, DOF & exposure all look good. Nicely done. (y)

PS. I can't believe he put those cheap and nasty worm drive hose clamps on that... steam fair indeed - I would not be surprised if he sees steam soon! tsch.

Hi Tim ....lots here since I last looked in :)

Noise ....I know nothing about engines but it looks noisy (and lovely and shiny too)

Pale ...fabulous shots and definitely more on theme ....well done with those, I didn't stay up to watch it and then regretted it.

Envy ...that topiary comes in handy .... I like that one :)

Despair ...that train does look rather sad doesn't it.

Well done with catching up and getting Envy in so quickly.

Thanks @susiejb. Nearly caught up now, just 'tear' left to do.
I'd like to think that I've not used the shoe horn too much recently. I knew I wanted to re-shoot the moon for pale as soon as I posted the first shot.
Noise & despair sold themselves to me when I saw them.
And Envy... Well, I've been going to the MHR for over 10 years now on and off. Today was the first time I've seen it... And it wasn't because I had the camera, I overheard an infant school teacher pointing out the 'dinosaur or dragon' to a class of infants who were visiting for the 150th anniversary of the line opening. So maybe my eyes weren't working, but my ears were ;)

Hi Tim,

Envy: That was some find for the theme. Wonder how they manage to keep it trimmed at that height? Nice capture.
Despair: What a sad tale Tim - brought a tear to my eye. :(

Reactions: LC2
Hi Tim, Envy made me laugh - I remember I shot a similar hedge at Canons Ashby a few weeks ago, the link never crossed my mind! Sorry about 20177, that's life eh?

Hi Tim, strange bit of topiary for envy, certainly fits the theme

despair I suppose there must be a lot of older trains going to scrap every year I suppose they would call it progress

Hi Tim,
Just popped in to comment on your last few. Sincere apologies that it has taken me this long :( :eek:

Noise: A lovely shot of a stunning example of a D-Type. I bet the noise is something else too :)
Pale: You did well to get the blood moon. The AF in my camera would't play ball at all. Nice clear shots (y)
Envy: Great shot. I bet that takes some trimming. A good taken on a rather difficult theme (I thought).
Despair: That poor train does look in a sorry state. The despair of being left to rust... A perfect fit to the theme.

Week 41 : Inverse

Three similar shots for Inverse, all subtly different.

I was fortunate to capture this shot with the narrowboat turning through Bull's Bridge as there isn't a huge amount of traffic normally.
The narrowboat is obscuring the bridge.

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 41 : Inverse
by Tim White, on Flickr

This shot is a better one of the bridge itself

by Tim White, on Flickr

Finally, I've included this shot because of the flooring.

by Tim White, on Flickr

Week 42 : Shimmer

Shimmer - a weak and tremulous light; "the shimmer of colours on iridescent feathers"; "the play of light on the water"
I think these two shots meet the definition of a play of light on the water.

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 42 : Shimmer
by Tim White, on Flickr

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 42 : Shimmer
by Tim White, on Flickr

Inverse, tough call, they all good and all have their merits, but I'm going with #1 purely for the way you have used DoF (y)
Shimmer, #1 again for me I like the reflection and the fact that what is reflected, is visible (y)

Hi Tim,

Envy: That was some find for the theme. Wonder how they manage to keep it trimmed at that height? Nice capture.
Despair: What a sad tale Tim - brought a tear to my eye. :(
Thanks Carl. Tending the Topiary - Maybe they use the Steam Crane ;)

Hi Tim, Envy made me laugh - I remember I shot a similar hedge at Canons Ashby a few weeks ago, the link never crossed my mind! Sorry about 20177, that's life eh?
Cheers Brian

LOL excellent (y)

I'm glad to see your ( rail) theme is still running too :)
Yup, still at about 50% rail. Must try harder eh?

Hi Tim, strange bit of topiary for envy, certainly fits the theme

despair I suppose there must be a lot of older trains going to scrap every year I suppose they would call it progress
Cheers Allan

Hi Tim,
Just popped in to comment on your last few. Sincere apologies that it has taken me this long :( :eek:

Noise: A lovely shot of a stunning example of a D-Type. I bet the noise is something else too :)
Pale: You did well to get the blood moon. The AF in my camera would't play ball at all. Nice clear shots (y)
Envy: Great shot. I bet that takes some trimming. A good taken on a rather difficult theme (I thought).
Despair: That poor train does look in a sorry state. The despair of being left to rust... A perfect fit to the theme.
Ta Lee. No worries on the commenting front, I'm just the same, CBA to comment when using the tablet, as I hate using the on screen keyboard.
The blood moon was difficult to capture. live view was no help at all (just noise). Still, it had to be tried even if it did entail very little sleep and then going to work for 9am...

Hi Tim. Inverse: All good shots but #3 for me - the clarity is superb and having the entire stopper(?) in focus makes it's presence somehow more meaningful in the context of the entire image :clap:. As for Shimmer, #1 for me with all those subtle colours coming through.

Hi number 3 for me I like the OOF BG and the clarity in the stopper,

water excellent choice for shimmer but I would say that (y)

Despair, wonderfully detailed image, very sad for something that you can only assume took many man hours to get it to its former glory.

Inverse number 3 for me, love the detail of the floor captured, even upside down it draws you into the image nicely maybe a less wide crop could work better and focus the mind a bit more on the orb,

Shimmer is great but not on par with your other images (sorry) even though the focus is on the water I'm automatically drawn to the out of focus boat.

Inverse:
Nice idea, I like the third the best, the tiles, bricks (whatever they are) look superb. It's a shame that the "intersting bit" is a bit small in comparison to the rest IYSWIM but interesting all the same.

Shimmer:
I can see what you were after but I'm not feeling either of these I have to say. The main reason is that (for me) they do not hold their own without an explanation. Sorry to be blunt.

Inverse, tough call, they all good and all have their merits, but I'm going with #1 purely for the way you have used DoF (y)
Shimmer, #1 again for me I like the reflection and the fact that what is reflected, is visible (y)
Cheers @Cobra, you appear to be bucking the trend with your preferences though.

Hi Tim. Inverse: All good shots but #3 for me - the clarity is superb and having the entire stopper(?) in focus makes it's presence somehow more meaningful in the context of the entire image :clap:. As for Shimmer, #1 for me with all those subtle colours coming through.
Cheers Carl. I think I agree, #3 for inverse is my favourite too. The 'stopper' is actually a crystal ball balanced on top of an inverted shot glass.

Hi number 3 for me I like the OOF BG and the clarity in the stopper,

water excellent choice for shimmer but I would say that (y)
:) I think Shimmer really needs to be done with water, I'm not 100% that these are the best I could do though.

I thought your inverse was a good idea but could perhaps have benefited from a stronger, more recognisable background? Or maybe just a pretty sunset! :)
Hayes Middlesex and Pretty Sunset. Hmmm ;)

Despair, wonderfully detailed image, very sad for something that you can only assume took many man hours to get it to its former glory.

Inverse number 3 for me, love the detail of the floor captured, even upside down it draws you into the image nicely maybe a less wide crop could work better and focus the mind a bit more on the orb,

Shimmer is great but not on par with your other images (sorry) even though the focus is on the water I'm automatically drawn to the out of focus boat.
Cheers Nathan. I've seeing a bit of a pattern forming in the comments :)

Inverse:
Nice idea, I like the third the best, the tiles, bricks (whatever they are) look superb. It's a shame that the "intersting bit" is a bit small in comparison to the rest IYSWIM but interesting all the same.

Shimmer:
I can see what you were after but I'm not feeling either of these I have to say. The main reason is that (for me) they do not hold their own without an explanation. Sorry to be blunt.
Ta Brian. I'm not sure what to call the flooring / brickwork either, but I agree, they do add to the shot (maybe that's why I prefer #3 too).

I'm not going to argue with the Shimmer comments. Perhaps on a par with my original shot for week 29...

Hi Tim ....super shots in your globe, they look smashing when zoomed in.....fabulous detail in them, for that reason I thing they'd look excellent cropped too.

I'd prefer the shimmer shots to be just the water ...just a personal choice, spot on for the theme though.

Hi Tim

Envy ... Strange topiary (sorry, not a fan of topiary), but fits the theme.

Despair ... a train! Thanks, yes fits very well, but damned unfavourable lighting conditions.

Inverse ... really liking #3 (y)

Shimmer #1, perfect. (y)

I've been trying to fathom out how to capture movement and come out with far worse results. Interesting what @Brian_of_Bozeat suggests, may try it ... but will need to read up about it first methinks

Nice try Tim, interesting iridescence on the ring too (y)
What happens if you "dodge" the reflection, does it stand out more?
Or is there nothing to see?
Just curious

try it again with a slower shutter speed Tim. Rear curtain sync. (y)
Cheers, I'll give that a try. Should I drop down to say 1/250th and reduce the aperture rather than relying on the high speed sync?

I've been trying to fathom out how to capture movement and come out with far worse results. Interesting what @Brian_of_Bozeat suggests, may try it ... but will need to read up about it first methinks
Me too. Panning I can cope with, but this has been a bit perplexed.

Nice try Tim, interesting iridescence on the ring too (y)
What happens if you "dodge" the reflection, does it stand out more?
Or is there nothing to see?
Just curious
Just tried, it just ends up looking worse imo. Perhaps a raw file would've helped :oops: :$. But it feels out of focus...

Back