weekly LC2's 52 for 2015 Thread - Week 52 : Christmas

Hi Tim. Nice one for proverb. Sharp, well exposed and good DoF. Love the colour.

Week 33 - Religious

St Mary's Church - Bedfont

St. Mary’s is a Grade II listed building, originally built in the mid-12th century perhaps on the site of an earlier structure, and the oldest
building in the London Borough of Hounslow.

Quite difficult to avoid lamp posts and other street furniture, I did manage a few better angles, but didn't leave enough space to correct the perspective distortion, so this is perhaps the best overall shot

St Mary's Church - Bedfont
by Tim White, on Flickr

Around the back were these poignant memorials

Memorials
by Tim White, on Flickr

Week 34 - Geometric

From St Mary's church again:
Two similar but yet different geometric designs based on diamonds.

Windows - Geometric
by Tim White, on Flickr

And a damning indictment of today's society that these windows need a protective grill.

Windows - Geometric
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi proverb is quite minimal but I like that,
interesting church for Religion some impressive topiary
two quite simple but effective images for Geometric its a shame about the grills on the window, but you wouldn't believe how much these things cost to repair

Religious ... St Mary's looks interesting, I'd like to see more of it. (no really too keen on the hedge).

Geometric ... #2 I prefer as it's unusual and you've captured those damn grills good & sharp.

Hi Tim. Wonderful church for Religion - great bit of topiary. #2 for me as well for Geometric - unusual with a good mix of textures and beautiful lighting. :clap:

Religion I love #1 I think churches are beautiful, and I like the composition. Geometric, great pictures #2 is defo my favourite, well done :)

Thanks for all the comments.

Andy / Stan, yes, on reflection you're right, the <Playschool> Round Window </Playschool> needs about a degree of anticlockwise rotation. Not bad for an OOC except for the crop though!

Allan, I can only guess how much the windows cost. It's a sad state of affairs that they are needed, but I suppose robbing churches is nothing new, it's happened all through history, only these days it's chavs rather than the establishment...

d00d, I took some from other angles, but they didn't come out anywhere near as well, too much street furniture getting in the way. It is probably the prettiest church in the local area.

Laura, We have a nice spire in Feltham too - https://flic.kr/p/oyV7wb Unfortunately the rest of the church was demolished and turned into council offices in the 70s (I think). It was the church I was christened in :(

Week 32 - Support.

I thought of Bridges, couldn't find anything locally that were interesting...
I was beaten to Bras hanging on the washing line ;)

So how about this?

A National Trust organised Medieval display in "support" of Corfe Castle.
The shot was actually focused on Corfe Church, but the middle ground shows the tents / stalls / displays off well on one of the few Sunny days this week.

Corfe Village / Corfe Church / Corfe Castle
by Tim White, on Flickr

What a shame! I'm not religious, I felt really drawn to Christianity when my boys were born (I was really ill and they were early) hence I got them christened but the shear workman ship that has gone into buildings such as this is incredible!

I spent a lot of childhood holidays in that area, of course the Castle wasn't such a wreck then ( before anyone else says it :p)

Nice perspective, (y)

If not a little bit of a shoe horn, but then who am I to talk about about shoe horns?
:D

Shoehorn maybe ... but there's some incredible detail ... best viewed on Flickr. :)

Hi Tim ....super first church shot for Religion, that topiary is amazing., but I do like the 'feel' of the second, it has a real sense of atmosphere about it.

Geometric ....such a shame that window has a grill over it, as you say it's not good that things have to be protected in that way, but you've caught the detail well.

Support ...is a shoehorn, but I love the angle, it looks a fascinating place.

Cheers @d00d I do like the way it has come out, it's a stunning view from the castle. I'm impressed by the detail captured by the 5d3 + 24-70L, that's cropped to 1/4 of the original file and yet I believe still clearer than my 7D + Tamron 17-50

If a shoehorn is good enough for @Cobra :) :) :)

Hi @susiejb I was torn between the full church shot and the memorials, hence posting both. The light was better at the front, but the rear was (IMO) more evocative.
Corfe ("Support") isn't too far from you (well, probably no further for you than it is for me). Well worth a visit if you like castles. There is also the preserved railway and the seaside town of Swanage.

Week 35 : Fashion

One from the archive this week (we are allowed the odd archive shot aren't we?)

Wartime Fashion...
Obviously treated to a bit of B&W ;) and a little cloning to remove some jarring elements (that don't jump out in colour, but do in B&W).
You won't believe how hard it was to get any shots of *just* the re-enactors without members of the general public in modern clothing getting into the shots too (the blurred chap at the front is engine crew in blue overalls, so I *think* he's still in keeping with the shot).

TP 52 for 2015 : Fashion
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim.
Support: One of the better shots I've seen of Corfe. By visiting the castle, you are "supporting" the upkeep of the castle so whichever way you look at it, it's on theme.
Fashion: I was looking around for an event like this when the theme was announced. No luck. Looks good in sepia.

Well done for catching up Tim.

Love the Fashion picture and the processing too (y)

Nice shoehorn for Support but who am I to quibble ;) after all, they were my bras :D

Religious, I like the first shot but I think the second is more powerfull but would benefit from a greater depth of field as I find the 2 on the right to be distracting.

Hi Tim.
Support: One of the better shots I've seen of Corfe. By visiting the castle, you are "supporting" the upkeep of the castle so whichever way you look at it, it's on theme.
Fashion: I was looking around for an event like this when the theme was announced. No luck. Looks good in sepia.
Cheers Carl. Fashion is an archive shot from the summer, nothing around that I've seen currently (next one at the MHR is over Christmas). I think the processing works well.

Hi Tim ....it's certainly an excellent choice for the theme, the sepia effect gives it a very authentic look.
Interesting to see more topiary :)
Hi Susie. Cheers, I do like the shot. Yes, more topiary, there is quite of lot of it there that they've restored from the original trees and the pre-war stations. I think the open door helps the shot by directing the eye too. What do you think?

Well done for catching up Tim.

Love the Fashion picture and the processing too (y)

Nice shoehorn for Support but who am I to quibble ;) after all, they were my bras :D

Religious, I like the first shot but I think the second is more powerfull but would benefit from a greater depth of field as I find the 2 on the right to be distracting.

Thanks Jill. I've not quite caught up yet (still have Tear/Pale/Words to do and trying to think of something non obvious - mind you, I might end up with a torn piece of paper with words in pale yellow ;) ).
Re Religious. I took 3 different shots with the near, middle and far in focus seperately. I didn't think to pull the whole lot into focus though :/ I think the second is definetly the more evocative, but the first probably technically better.

full length :agree:

but still a very nicely focused shot: the near lady and train door ... nice.

Cheers for the comments @d00d & @posiview. I'm not sure that full length would have helped, however, it's something we'll never know as the shot was taken without any opportunity to set it up. I'm pretty sure I turned and thought "that'll make a nice image" and took the shot quickly before it disappeared forever, so I don't have the lady in uniform full length.

Week 31 : Words, Week 36 : Chilled and Week 37 : Re-shoot (Limit)

A bit more catch up....

Week 31 : Words

TP 52 for 2014 - Week 31 : Words
by Tim White, on Flickr

Less words, more numbers really. Part of an interesting old timetable from the pre Dr Beeching era advertising what would be even then a pretty slow service from London Waterloo to Southampton.

Week 36 : Chilled

TP 52 for 2014 - Week 36 : Chilled
by Tim White, on Flickr

Chilling out between service trains at Ropley Station. There is something therapeutic and definitely chilled about lazing around on an almost deserted preserved railway station in the countryside. Nothing happening, nothing to do except to sit there and watch the clouds roll by.

Week 37 : Re-shoot (Limit)

TP 52 for 2014 - Week 37 : Reshoot (Limit)
by Tim White, on Flickr

Another take on my earlier 'limit' shots. I'm trying to use the wall as the lead in and the fence as a framing device. The background deliberately out of focus, yet with sufficient detail that you can make out the track, a loco, a shed and a bridge if you look carefully.
Perhaps a little to central, but I think that the wall on the right hand side allows it to work .
Thoughts?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a theme running :D

Nice catch up Tim, I rather like "Chilled" there is lots of info in the image (y)

Cheers @Cobra. I like chilled too. I was sitting on a bench thinking "this would be excellent for chilled' and hoped I could manage a shot that did it justice. I'm not sure it portays the scerenity of of completely, but it's not too bad.

I do seem to have a theme to my shots, but as I volunteer at the Mid Hants Railway and I'm there probably 20 to 25 weekends a year, I guess it does dicate my photo opportunities...

Week 37 : Special

And so to keep on theme ;) this shot is 'special' in 3 ways.
1. Gresley A4s are quite special locos
2. Locos / Trains with headboards usually denote a 'Special'.
3. The customers on that evening's Real Ale Train must have thought themselves pretty special to have this visitor rather than one of the home fleet.

TP 52 for 2015 - Week 37 : Special
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hopefully I'm allowed one from the archive as my Week 37 re-shoot was taken during Week 37 :)

Didn't realise you were that far behind Tim - good catch-up. Like the old timetable for Words. Chilled is nice but Limit is striking and my fave out of that batch for it's DoF. Didn't know any of that info about the "specials" - an unexpected and I would have thought a slightly unusual take in the theme.

Thanks Carl. The sign in Limit does pop well, not 100% that it's an improvement over the original shot a few months back, but I do like it.
I've still not totally caught up, Pale & Tear still outstanding.
Not sure on either yet, perhaps if I wait a few weeks I can experiment with a "Pale October Moon" (Michelle Shocked - Memories of East Texas)

Hi Tim yes I agree about the door on your Fashion shot, we took a short trip on a steam train in Wales last week and I tried to get one of all the open doors but it didn't quite look as good as I hoped it would :(
Well done with your catch up ....I love your shot for Chilled it's one that could have been taken fifty years ago it has a timeless look about it.
Special didn't jump out at me till I zoomed in on the Real Ale sign, it's good to photograph things you have a passion about, I think it gives them that extra 'edge'

Last edited:
Drama in that shot for fashion is fantastic. the sharpness is perfect and where it needs to be, the angle of the shot plays some wierd stuff with my head but at the same time i like the quirkyness of it. nice job

Hi Tim. That is a special looking train. My thoughts are that the composition is a bit weak though and I feel that as it is a little bit tight top and bottom a little crop off of the right would help. Well done on the catch up.

Nice catch up Tim (y)

... a sucker for old signs, fences, brickwork, OOF but recognisable BG ... your Limit Re-shoot's got it all(y)

Hi Tim :)

Sorry looks like loads of yours missed again, and with me behind and trying to catch up, a quick round up on a couple of them from me :)

Proverb - Like the rich colours and the detail in the grass, nice DoF really focus the eyes on them eggs :)

Religion - Love them hedges, they overpower the building for me, but worth it :)

Geometric - an unusual pair of church windows, nicely cropped and good to see another not going for the obvious :)

Fashion - The pick of the bunch for me, love the colours and context, good PoV too, no crit from me on this one, really mine (y)

Hi Tim, sorry I've not been here for a while.
Religion - #2 for me, the memorials make a very touching image.
Geometric - I like the contrast of the rough brickwork against the shiny windows in #1 and as you said, what a sad reflection of our times that the lovely round window has to be protected by the mesh.
Chilled - the old-fashioned setting really does add to the relaxed feel of this one.
Special - haha, a Real Ale Train, yes that's certainly special!

Back