weekly LC2's 52 for 2015 Thread - Week 52 : Christmas

Week 49 : Down and Week 50 : Organise(d)

A couple of shots for...
(Gear) Down

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 49 - (Gear) Down
by Tim White, on Flickr

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 49 - (Gear) Down
by Tim White, on Flickr

I think the first one has more impact, whereas the second has more detail and concentrated more on the Down-ness of the Gear (a bit washed out though, but you try taking a shot into the grey overcast skies we've had recently!)

I like this one a lot more.
Getting the wrapping ORGANISE(D) for Christmas

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 50 - Organised
by Tim White, on Flickr

Bounced flash and then a spotlight lighting effect in PS to focus the eye.
+5 Eye Spy Bonus Points for spotting my shoehorn ;)

Good response to both themes, like the gear down and since you have got your Christmas shopping done I don't suppose you would like to help me out, I'm a bit behind and someone told me it's now less than two weeks :runaway:

Hi Tim. Spot on with Down. Prefer the more dynamic #1 - great position for the shot. As for Organised, my goodness wish I was that far ahead with preparations. I really must try and learn to use flash ... maybe a goal for next year's TP52 !?! I like the lighting both the general and the PS spotlight (although no idea how you do that). The backdrop has a railway theme but what is "Benc....."?

Hi Tim. Spot on with Down. Prefer the more dynamic #1 - great position for the shot.
It is cropped a little, but I guess living a couple of minutes walk from the last 1/2 mile of the glide slope into LHR must have some benefits.
As for Organised, my goodness wish I was that far ahead with preparations. I really must try and learn to use flash ... maybe a goal for next year's TP52 !?! I like the lighting both the general and the PS spotlight (although no idea how you do that). The backdrop has a railway theme but what is "Benc....."?
4/5ths of Bench.
+5 I Spy bonus points to Carl for spotting the shoe horn :)
The lighting effect is under 'render' in the filters menu (at least it is on CS2)

Hi Tim ...two brilliant shots for Down, I like them both ...you must have been really close to get those, an excellent choice for the theme.

Well done with the pressy wrapping, its a wonder my hubby doesn't ask me to wrap my own up ....in fact I think he does :bat:I like the spotlight effect it works really well, and you definitely look Organised :)

Hi Tim ...two brilliant shots for Down, I like them both ...you must have been really close to get those, an excellent choice for the theme.
About a mile out as the crow flys, so 300-400 foot up I assume. Though the first one is probably 1/3rd of a mile further out when I took the shot, the second one would have been much closer.

Down, that's a wheelie nice take on theme (y)
Organise, I'm glad to see someone is (y)

Week 30 : Tear (Catch Up)

This one has been outstanding for, hmm 20 weeks!!!

TP 52 for 2015 : Week 30 : Tear
by Tim White, on Flickr
Teardrop Necklace lit by a mini maglite and then some pp applied to hide the fact that the focus wasn't spot on.
More PP then applied to change the shot from a plan black background to one trying to look like a funky mount. It's a bit marmite but hell, it's a catchup so I now only have 2 shots left this year :)

Tear works well for me Tim. Nice catch-up ... only 20 weeks late ha ha. Well done you :clap:

Hi, first shot for down the angle just works better, could perhaps do with a little more light maybe.

nice idea for organised, still got all the wrapping to do

Ahoy, Tim!

Love your take on Down. Prefer the first shot since it's really epic, but hoping that the front wheelie part got more light (or the back wheels not cropped :D) But, all in all, it's a good shot (must be quite a feat to take them though) :clap:

For Organised, it's on theme, nice idea to put the focus to the wrapped items :D and the pressure to the rest of us to get our shopping done..

Hi Tim. Good catch up.

Down ... interesting detail from a mile away! Good interpretation too.

Organised ... with you pressy wrapping ... says secret pressy wrapping with that lighting effect. (y)

Tear ... Marmite hmmm ... shoehorn was my fist thought, but if that's called a Teardrop Necklace, then no!

Hi there Tim,

Catching up on a few here...
Covered - I like the sunken barge and what you have done with the T/S effect has really made it pop. Smashing shot and pp (y)
Connected - Another good shot. On theme and good bright colours.
Down - Good interpretation of the theme. Second one for me as the first is maybe a touch dark for the gear?
Tear - Lovely shot of the pendant but the blue/yellow frame is too much of a distraction.

Week 51 : Living (Steam)

Steam Locomotives are often referred to as Living & Breathing. The Duchess of Sutherland certainly lived up to that as she thundered through Clapham Junction at 06:50 this morning.
Pitch black, lit only from the station lighting The exhaust caught the glow of one of the (Sodium?) yard lamps resulting in this fantastic orange glow.
Wide open at f2.8, 1/200th of a second and iso 10,000 it didn't turn out too badly. Whilst some motion blur of the driving wheels would have been nice, a panning shot would have lost the lines leading off into the distance.

Week 51 - Living (Steam) : LMS Princess Coronation Class : 46233 - Duchess of Sutherland
by Tim White, on Flickr

Down, that's a wheelie nice take on theme (y)
Organise, I'm glad to see someone is (y)
Cheers, to be fair though, it's more the mrs who is organised.

Really liking the airplane images Tim, I think I prefer the 1st of the two as the landing gear stands out nicely against the grey sky :)
Cheers. It does stand out better against the sky, but I fel loses some detail due to the darkness. A bit of a trade off really against the second shot.

Tear works well for me Tim. Nice catch-up ... only 20 weeks late ha ha. Well done you :clap:
I was begining to fear I'd end up with 51 of the 52 if I didn't shoot something soon!

Hi, first shot for down the angle just works better, could perhaps do with a little more light maybe.

nice idea for organised, still got all the wrapping to do
I agree about the light, perhaps waiting for a non BA plane (Dark Blue underside) would have helped, but it was cold and windy - the planes were crabbing on approach.

Ahoy, Tim!

Love your take on Down. Prefer the first shot since it's really epic, but hoping that the front wheelie part got more light (or the back wheels not cropped :D) But, all in all, it's a good shot (must be quite a feat to take them though) :clap:

For Organised, it's on theme, nice idea to put the focus to the wrapped items :D and the pressure to the rest of us to get our shopping done..
Ta Nora. Not too hard to get shots of aircraft, as I'm less than a mile from the end of the south runway at Heathrow. I don't usually take shots of planes (outside of airshows) but this struck me as a good alternative take on the subject.

Hi Tim. Good catch up.

Down ... interesting detail from a mile away! Good interpretation too.

Organised ... with you pressy wrapping ... says secret pressy wrapping with that lighting effect. (y)

Tear ... Marmite hmmm ... shoehorn was my fist thought, but if that's called a Teardrop Necklace, then no!
Ta d00d. I decided I wanted to play with the lighting effects in Organised, really to see what they did. I quite liked the effect that one gave.

Love the tear-shaped pendant, but not so much on the frame, sorry :D I think it should be okay leaving it alone with only black background.. But that's just me :whistle:
On reflection, I think the background was a mistake, but I wanted something other than black, hey ho, it stays as a reminder not to do it again ;)

Organised, yeah, on theme, little dark maybe?

Cheers.
Maybe, maybe not. I quite like it like that, but I can see that there could be a different shot with more light.

Like your idea for Down, very different.

Organise; typical for this time of the year and on theme
:)

Hi there Tim,

Catching up on a few here...
Covered - I like the sunken barge and what you have done with the T/S effect has really made it pop. Smashing shot and pp (y)
Connected - Another good shot. On theme and good bright colours.
Down - Good interpretation of the theme. Second one for me as the first is maybe a touch dark for the gear?
Tear - Lovely shot of the pendant but the blue/yellow frame is too much of a distraction.
Yeah Lee, as I responded to Nora, I think it was a mistake, but is a good lesson in not what to do :)

Hi Tim. Nice composition - absolutely love the perspective with the platform, rails and structural roof all leading off into infinity. As for the smoke/steam/exhaust ... amazing colour.:clap:. At 06:50 you say .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
I agree, living is really well composed and all the more impressive given the available lighting

Hi Tim. Nice composition - absolutely love the perspective with the platform, rails and structural roof all leading off into infinity. As for the smoke/steam/exhaust ... amazing colour.:clap:. At 06:50 you say .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Cheers Carl. I think it is in my top 5 of my 52 for 2015 shots. 06:50 at Clapham meant being on the (late running!) 05;45 from my station...

I agree, living is really well composed and all the more impressive given the available lighting
Ta Chris. I do like this shot. I only wish this angle were possible at other times of the day. I figured the only way I was going to get a shot that worked was to wait until the train was under the station lighting and bumping the iso.

Really like the colour of the steam Tim, and a very effective angle with all the converging lines :)
Hi DK, Yes, the lines and the work well IMO.

Hi, the orange of the steam really stands out. Nice and clean at ISO 10,000. The driver and his colleague look a little soft, maybe 200th wasn't fast enough.It's always a compromise, though, and only minor points.

Cheers.

Hi Andy,
Yeah, the driver & fireman are a bit soft. Possibly as a result of f2.8 more than anything else, but I didn't want to push the iso much higher (there was a bit of NR applied to clean it up).
Must say, I'm pretty pleased with it overall.

Steam Locomotives are often referred to as Living & Breathing.
Ah is this a shoe horn I see before me? :D

A cracking low light image, Tim.
The steam in the light certainly add a little life to it also (y)

Any excuse to get a train in :LOL:, the steam highlighted in the sodiums adds something to this and also the converging lines,

never heard of the term living steam but then I am not a big follower of the train world, so I will take your word for it

Not a shoehorn at all... like it, it has turned out well considering the high iso. Photographed duchess at Newark the other day, in the dark.
Cheers Michael. Quite a challenge in the dark isn't it :)

Any excuse to get a train in :LOL:,
Oh yes :)
the steam highlighted in the sodiums adds something to this and also the converging lines,

never heard of the term living steam but then I am not a big follower of the train world, so I will take your word for it
I'd kinda worked out the composition, aiming to take the shots through the station like that. The Sodium lghting was a bit of a bonus and I think really makes the shot
Cheers :)

Week 52 : Christmas

Well, 2015 is now complete. Firstly a couple of shots of the tree...

TP 52 for 2015 : Christmas
by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

And finally, Just for DK
#3 - The Shoehorn - The Mid Hants Railway "Christmas Leave" event.

by Tim White, on Flickr
Maunsell Lord Nelson Class - 850, Lord Nelson running round at Alresford for her last scheduled revenue earning train before she is withdrawn for her 10 year overhaul.

Back