LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

The first one for me too, I agree with Susie about the detail being a tad dark and i would have perhaps exposed for the spaceship.
I have never seen Star wars so I have no idea what kind of setting it should be in

Made me LoL, I think you picked right with #2, I find the distance makes it a bit more convincing.

Agreed with you about the first being the best. Like Dave, I'm not really bothered about the sky since it's a deep space vehicle and doesn't expect blue sky with fluffy white clouds. :)
qeLJHl1.gif

The first one for me too, I agree with Susie about the detail being a tad dark and i would have perhaps exposed for the spaceship.
I have never seen Star wars so I have no idea what kind of setting it should be in

Cheers all. I have considered going out at night with a torch to illuminate it agaisnt a dark / black background in order to expose for the ship itself, not sure I'd pull it off though.
And I guess that whilst you would usually see it in space, it does also make several landings on planets, having it against a sky isn't utterly wrong.

Week 31 (Missing) Piece(s)

A couple of weeks ago two of the Swanage Railway steam locomotives had a little coming together.

This BR Standard 4 Tank has a couple of missing pieces away being straightened / repaired.

Week 31 (Missing) Piece(s) - BR Standard 4 Tank 80146
by Tim White, on Flickr

This shot was deliberately taken with the aim of highlighting the damage to the loco.

As a layman I can definitely see a piece missing on the front bumper (that's obviously the technical term, stop me when i lose you) and the front wheels may well be missing as there are some laying beside it, spot on for the theme.
The big thing in the picture is called a train, no need to thank me

I have just realised how long it's been since I visited your thread Tim...so sorry - time for a catch up!
Progress - what a fun shot and perfect for the theme. Good to see no movement blur from the pigeon ;)
Pleasure - what a great shot that sums up the excitement of being there (I wasn't paying for the beer!) Great dof with the pits in the background and the event beer cup looks good.
Tiny - the tilt shift works here for me, and the vibrant colours really make it look like a child's toy, or a 1950s advert for one.
Face - love your tine piano - I still remember that mnemonic in music lessons...must work then!
Graceful - lovely blur on the ball and I think it's a great choice for the theme.
Vehicle - I like both the first two shots - the angle of the second looks more like it's coming to get you - I kind of like that!

Nice piece shot Tim, shame they came together though. Nice colours too :)
Ta FujiDave.

As a layman I can definitely see a piece missing on the front bumper (that's obviously the technical term, stop me when i lose you) and the front wheels may well be missing as there are some laying beside it, spot on for the theme.
The big thing in the picture is called a train, no need to thank me
Damn, I thought it was one of those new fangled HoverVans.

I have just realised how long it's been since I visited your thread Tim...so sorry - time for a catch up!
Progress - what a fun shot and perfect for the theme. Good to see no movement blur from the pigeon ;)
Pleasure - what a great shot that sums up the excitement of being there (I wasn't paying for the beer!) Great dof with the pits in the background and the event beer cup looks good.
Tiny - the tilt shift works here for me, and the vibrant colours really make it look like a child's toy, or a 1950s advert for one.
Face - love your tine piano - I still remember that mnemonic in music lessons...must work then!
Graceful - lovely blur on the ball and I think it's a great choice for the theme.
Vehicle - I like both the first two shots - the angle of the second looks more like it's coming to get you - I kind of like that!
Thanks for the catch-up Emma. Easy to miss my postings as recently they've been a bit sporadic.
FACE - I wonder how many of us did learnt to read music as kids, and how man didn't have a clue what I was going on about ;)
I love playing with the TS effect on shots like Tiny, I think it makes them much more fun.

Week 32 - Re-shoot : F.A.C.E.

Less a re-shoot, more a re-edit (okay so I've been playing with the image over the past month or so tweaking it a bit).

I've edited the perspective and transformed the image to hopefully correct the impression that the original was leaning towards the viewer. Maybe not 100% correct, but a lot better.

I've edited the score to emphasise that the F.A.C.E. I was referring to was actually the notes of the treble clef that are between the lines. I suspect everyone who learnt to read music as a kid recalls "Every Good Boy Deserves Food" and "F.A.C.E." as the mnemonics for remembering the treble clef notes - but not everyone will have learnt music as a kid.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 32 - Re-shoot : Face
by Tim White, on Flickr

There may be other edits too :)

Last edited:
Piece, sharp, colourful, real engineering, what's not to like!
The F.A.C.E re-edit has worked for me, looks good.

Piece, sharp, colourful, real engineering, what's not to like!
The F.A.C.E re-edit has worked for me, looks good.
Ta Chris. Not too much of a shoe-horn then :)

Re edit on face looks very good Tim, good job done :)
Seems I may have gotten away with leaving the camera in it's bag for re-shoot.

Liking the face edit Tim, it seems to have a slight magenta hue on the whites, a white balance issue maybe? A little bit more space around the stool. Like it though.
I'm not certain on the hue, but then this is an uncalibrated laptop screen, so...
The crop into the stool was deliberate (okay, so the lens correction did it deliberately ;) ). I thought it still worked like that, otherwise I'd have spent time adding more background and cloning the bottom of the stool back in.

Week 32 - Contrast

An archive shot...
Contrast between the running line and siding between Alton and Butts Junction on the Mid Hants.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 32 : Contrast
by Tim White, on Flickr

Note - This was taken during an organised photo shoot. This is not a shot that anyone without authorised access to railway property (any railway) should attempt to take.

Hi Tim, Big catch up from me, must try to keep more up to date :(

Agriculture - Works well for the theme and like the B&W but the shadow does spoil it a little but not too much:)
Graceful - Well done for getting the batsman in focus and the ball showing the movement. Nice action shot
Fruit - Yum strawberries and ice cream, whats not to like. Looks delicious with the bright red against the cream. I like the pine cone on the angle too not sure about the I pad (?) in the BG. nice textures in that one
Vehicle - When I first saw this in the main thread I honestly thought it was some kind of mechanical creature submerged in water and I really liked it. The two circles on the bottom look like eyes to me :D
Piece - There's definitely a bit missing, I think I might of zoomed out slightly at least to have included the dome
Contrast - I like this, nice leading line going through the tunnel. I think the track on the left might be a bit bumpy tho:D

Took me a while to figure that one out, my only crit is its too tight at the top

Hi Tim, Big catch up from me, must try to keep more up to date :(

Agriculture - Works well for the theme and like the B&W but the shadow does spoil it a little but not too much:)
I agree, I don't like the shadow myself
Graceful - Well done for getting the batsman in focus and the ball showing the movement. Nice action shot
I was quite pleased to get that shot as well as I did, considering the camera I had with me.
Fruit - Yum strawberries and ice cream, whats not to like. Looks delicious with the bright red against the cream. I like the pine cone on the angle too not sure about the I pad (?) in the BG. nice textures in that one
Pine Apple ;)
Vehicle - When I first saw this in the main thread I honestly thought it was some kind of mechanical creature submerged in water and I really liked it. The two circles on the bottom look like eyes to me :D
Piece - There's definitely a bit missing, I think I might of zoomed out slightly at least to have included the dome
Contrast - I like this, nice leading line going through the tunnel. I think the track on the left might be a bit bumpy tho:D
Yup, that was the point :)
Thanks for the catch up comments.

Took me a while to figure that one out, my only crit is its too tight at the top
Contrast is a nice shot, a shame the top is too tight but I like it :)
The shot was actually just a test shot to sort out the exposure for the next few shots with the train coming through the bridge. (It's easier to take the shots in manual, because the blacks and dark greens on the loco can throw the exposure out).
Normally I would delete the test shot, but on this occasion I didn't,
When going through them to edit them today, I realised this would be an ideal image for Contrast. You're right though, the crop at the top is too tight. Unfortunately, a tighter crop looks even worse, so I can't rescue it that way...
Still, it keeps me in the right week more or less.

Last edited:
Contrast - I hope they are not running on that track :) well spotted for the theme and good use of a test shot.

Hi Tim

Fruit ... what fab contrasting colours and detail. (y)

Vehicle ... liking the bokeh in #3 (y)

A train with train Pieces .... why not!

Thought it was Face the music .... but it's something altogether more cryptic. Oh it's an edit!

I really like the wonky tracks going under the arch and that red light. Yes it is tight at the top.

Hey Tim :)

Sorry, behind with a few....

Fruit - MMmmmmm I do like strawberries and ice-cream, a squirt of chocolate sauce would round it off for me (eating wise not photo wise), but pic wise, I like the diagonal timbers and the contrast from strawb and textured ice-cream :)

Vehicle - Now that is one cool Drone, the first shot for me and a first 'drone wise' that I like the look of (y)

Pieces - Love the twist of the theme from you to get an engine shot in, a well found one for the theme :)

Contrast - A good idea for the theme again, that left hand track sure does look wobbly and bumpy compared to the smooth curve on the right, love your 'note' too :D (y)

Contrast - I hope they are not running on that track :) well spotted for the theme and good use of a test shot.
No Chris, the line on the left is purely a storage siding.

Nice one Tim, I like the wonky line on the left, definitely works well at that angle.
Thanks Susie. I may have been sitting or crouching down (but can't remember exactly).

Hi Tim

Fruit ... what fab contrasting colours and detail. (y)

Vehicle ... liking the bokeh in #3 (y)
Ta David. The bokeh in #3 is what drew me to it,

A train with train Pieces .... why not!

Thought it was Face the music .... but it's something altogether more cryptic. Oh it's an edit!

I really like the wonky tracks going under the arch and that red light. Yes it is tight at the top.
FACE was quite obscure originally (a bit geeky I guess) Hence the lazy edit :)
I'm pleased that the tracks for contrast have got some positive comments.

Hey Tim :)

Sorry, behind with a few....

Fruit - MMmmmmm I do like strawberries and ice-cream, a squirt of chocolate sauce would round it off for me (eating wise not photo wise), but pic wise, I like the diagonal timbers and the contrast from strawb and textured ice-cream :)

Vehicle - Now that is one cool Drone, the first shot for me and a first 'drone wise' that I like the look of (y)

Pieces - Love the twist of the theme from you to get an engine shot in, a well found one for the theme :)

Contrast - A good idea for the theme again, that left hand track sure does look wobbly and bumpy compared to the smooth curve on the right, love your 'note' too :D (y)
Hi DK. I seem to recall adding extra strawberries and sugar before eating the props for Fruit.
I think the drone shot works because it's not just a drone.
WIth Contrast, I added the note because the last thing I want to encourage is trespass on railway property because, well 1) it's bloody dangerous and 2) it's a criminal offence (see http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_transport_offences/#trespass) unlike most other forms of trespass.

Week 33 - Clean

My Sunday was spent in *Sunny* Wales at the Cardiff Anime & Gaming Con, with my Daughter who is hugely into Anime.
Getting pictures of the Cosplayers with clean backgrounds is always difficult at these events, due to the number of people about and the general melee.

This close in shot of a Kaneki Ken Cosplayer (From Tokyo Ghoul) is most likely one of the cleanest shots I took.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 33 : A Clean Shot
by Tim White, on Flickr

Good photo, nice focus on the eye draws you in but do I detect a hint of the horn of the shoe?

I really like it, that eye is so dominant (in a good way).
Clean? I don't know what your other photos were like so I'll take your word for it :).

Good photo, nice focus on the eye draws you in but do I detect a hint of the horn of the shoe?
Me? Shoe-horn???? Heaven Forbid!

I really like it, that eye is so dominant (in a good way).
Clean? I don't know what your other photos were like so I'll take your word for it :).
Yes, it was the eye I was targetting (it's his Ghoul eye - Kaneki Ken is only half Ghoul.

This gives you and idea of the background, and actually this one is quite clear compared to some of the shots.
https://68.media.tumblr.com/cf282dccc217b12134685dfcfb8158a6/tumblr_ov3rfrEJcg1wogpbdo1_540.jpg

Tight crop perfect for this, I have no idea who the character is bit assume his eye is important, not sure on the relevance to the theme but its at least an interesting shot

Hi DK. I seem to recall adding extra strawberries and sugar before eating the props for Fruit.
I think the drone shot works because it's not just a drone.
WIth Contrast, I added the note because the last thing I want to encourage is trespass on railway property because, well 1) it's bloody dangerous and 2) it's a criminal offence (see http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences_transport_offences/#trespass) unlike most other forms of trespass.
Blimey... learn something new every day :)

OMG !!! That is so damn creepy, but I love it :)
:)

That's very unusual and another interesting shot from you, love the tight crop and the mystique, nice eye contact which was essential for it to work (y)
The really cool thing about cosplayers is that they love having their photos taken and they put a lot of effort into their costumes.

Tight crop perfect for this, I have no idea who the character is bit assume his eye is important, not sure on the relevance to the theme but its at least an interesting shot
It's Kaneki Ken from Tokyo Ghoul. As per my OP, it's pretty hard getting clean shots without clutter, and this may have been teh best of the day (from that perspective anyway).
I wouldn't be me if I weren't shoe horning ;)

Week 34 - Curves

It seems I needed 3 bites of the cherry this week.

This was my original banker shot. Quite a few curves in this close up of one of the driving wheels of Schools Class 4-4-0, 925 - Cheltenham at the Mid Hants.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 34 - Curves
by Tim White, on Flickr

Wings and Wheels on Sunday gave me the opportunity to capture these two:

by Tim White, on Flickr

by Tim White, on Flickr

Whilst #2 is possibly the better shot, with the Red Arrows heading towards us and clearly in formation, I actually prefer #3, for the colours and action, so that's my choice for the main thread.

I thought a train might well appear is some form, but all three shots work well, but I can see why you prefer the 2nd red arrows shot you look to be right in the action

Looking at your first shot, I think you might have enjoyed the steam fair I went to yesterday :) My favourite is the first Red Arrows shot. I like the contrast of the crisp white against the red and blue, although the second one is a bit more curvy. All three fit the bill though (y) Nice set.

Hi Tim, I really like your image for Contrast. At first I thought it was about the contrasting colours and textures between the rails and bricks and the natural foliage around them, but then of course I noticed the rails. What a difference! A really interesting and unusual image (y)

Clean is striking and the red eye really stands out due to your cropping/composition, and you have three good takes on the theme for Curves. Like you, although #2 is probably the 'better' image of the Red Arrows display, I like the drama, movement and colourful curves captured in #3 so that would get my vote.

Back