LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

Hi Tim, Topical works well enough, but as a street photo I'd prefer to have the whole of the woman (frame right) in shot - just waiting a few seconds before pressing the shutter would have worked well. It could do with a bit of shadow recovery but otherwise is solid enough in a tough week - we all have "it is what it is" themes (that was mine too).

Natural World - both work and are on theme. I like the second because of the leading line but maybe a touch more space at the top so you get the whole of that nearest post in and a touch of space above it? I think it works well :)

Hi Tim. Nature is such a powerful force, unrelenting in it's reclamation. Definitely the living world. Of the two, I think I prefer the first ... not sure why exactly but maybe to do with the opposing forces of tree and concrete. :clap:
Cheers Carl. The second image wasn't really meant to be for the theme, but more to add further to the back story of the whole area being taken back by Mother Nature.

See, I knew you'd manage a shoe horn regarding trains :D

Nature is certianly a powerful force well captured Tim (y)
Dang, you spotted it ;) I had to really in order to keep up the 50% ratio.

Nice that you got the train in the background, #1 for me because I feel it demonstrates the power of nature more strongly.
Ta Chris. I hadn't thought of it in that way, but I agree #1 is the stronger shot.

#1 for me as well. Not an obvious idea but works quite well.

Cheers.
Ta Andy. I wanted to avoid the obvious shots of flowers etc. I hope I succeeded

Hi Tim, Topical works well enough, but as a street photo I'd prefer to have the whole of the woman (frame right) in shot - just waiting a few seconds before pressing the shutter would have worked well. It could do with a bit of shadow recovery but otherwise is solid enough in a tough week - we all have "it is what it is" themes (that was mine too).

Natural World - both work and are on theme. I like the second because of the leading line but maybe a touch more space at the top so you get the whole of that nearest post in and a touch of space above it? I think it works well :)
Hi Paul, I see what you mean about waiting a second or so. I was fighting with a constant flow of traffic and other pedestrians, so it was possibly the best I could get at that point (I did hang around for 5-10 minutes to get that shot. But it really was a "it is what it is" shot.
Interesting that you prefer the second shot, I was really only adding that as a documentary shot enhancing the story.

Danger - defo #2 for me - nice image and composition

Topical - didn't get it at first but the narrative really helped and drove home the message - lovely composed and taken shot too - nice :)

Living World - as I have said on someone else's entry you cant stop the force of mother nature and these just go to prove it - like them both but #2 just edges it for me !

Hi Tim, that's a good idea for the theme and both images demonstrate the power of nature in reclaiming ground. I think I prefer the first one as the size of that lump of concrete and the damage to it underline the sheer force of nature. Well done on squeezing a train into the background, too :)

see you managed to get a train in there ;) - I like the idea of demonstrating how nature will reclaim anything left for too long :)

Like both your Living World shots but I think Number 1 just edges ahead for me.

Nice train.
Hehe

Hi Tim .....that's an unusual interpretation of the theme but it works well ....nature does have a determined way of regenerating itself.
Ta Susie, it is what I was trying to portray, but if you listen to some of this lot you'd think I was trying to shoe horn in a train! ;)

Danger - defo #2 for me - nice image and composition

Topical - didn't get it at first but the narrative really helped and drove home the message - lovely composed and taken shot too - nice :)

Living World - as I have said on someone else's entry you cant stop the force of mother nature and these just go to prove it - like them both but #2 just edges it for me !
Thanks Jon. Danger #2 is the better shot, but #1 was the more challenging to capture.
The biggest problem I had with Topical was trying to get a shot that spoke for itself. That I've had to explain it means I didn't really suceed. Ah Well.
LW - #2 probably follows the rules better, but I felt that the content of #1 was stronger.

Hi Tim, that's a good idea for the theme and both images demonstrate the power of nature in reclaiming ground. I think I prefer the first one as the size of that lump of concrete and the damage to it underline the sheer force of nature. Well done on squeezing a train into the background, too :)
Thanks Andrea. I agree that the wrecked stairs show the force of nature more strongly.

see you managed to get a train in there ;) - I like the idea of demonstrating how nature will reclaim anything left for too long :)
Cheers Ruth. I wanted to take a shot that was less obvious.

Like both your Living World shots but I think Number 1 just edges ahead for me.
Thanks Liz. I prefer #1 too.

The first one for me too Tim, sadly for me because of the inclusion of the train, nicely horned :D
Train??? Where? ;)

Week 10 : Spiky

I aSpired to something artistic this week. The spire of Salisbury Cathedral is certainly spiky.
This is about as close to the Constable painting as you can get these days... (I doubt my photo will fetch the $5.2m his painting went for).

Salisbury Cathedral
by Tim White, on Flickr

However, I actually felt that this shot portrayed Spiky to a far greater extent.
Shame about the the photobombing Class 450 ;)

TP 52 for 2016 - Week 10 : Spiky
by Tim White, on Flickr

That's a beautiful landscape shot of Salisbury Cathedral Tim - you've captured good detail in the spire and sharp against the sky :clap: - I suppose the second is more clearly themed though.

Cracking cathedral shot Tim, and thanks for not letting the side down on a shoe horn (y)

hi, excellent thinking behind the living world pic its always amazing how nature can take over in quite a short time sometimes

I like the spire picture the trees frame it nicely to attract your eye too it, not keen on the other one its all a bit wonky o_O

That's a beautiful landscape shot of Salisbury Cathedral Tim - you've captured good detail in the spire and sharp against the sky :clap: - I suppose the second is more clearly themed though.
Thanks Carl.
I scouted around for the best framing I could find, the trees and the river attempting to lead the eye, then wiated for about 40 minutes for a gap in the colud cover so that the spire wold be lit. You should see how bad my initial reference shots were.

Cracking cathedral shot Tim, and thanks for not letting the side down on a shoe horn (y)
Cheers @Cobra. I do like the shot and would have perhaps posted it over the shoehorn, except that it's less obviously spiky.

Two good pictures, Salisbury for me, I love the view you get coming up the A36 where the cathedral appears in front of you.
Ta Clive. I don't know the A36. This was the view you get as you walk past Mill Lane (I think) from the railway station into town. I was stood on the bridge over the river on the flood plain / meadow.

hi, excellent thinking behind the living world pic its always amazing how nature can take over in quite a short time sometimes

I like the spire picture the trees frame it nicely to attract your eye too it, not keen on the other one its all a bit wonky o_O
Cheers Allan. I wanted something unexpected for living world. It was quite a job getting thrrough to the site of the old bridge, the undergrowth would have counted for Spiky ;)
I should have spent a few minutes with the transform tool on the shot at clapham. The space available to take the shot and avoid too much clutter was very limited, hence the perspective issues.
Is this better?
073A2894 e2_86.jpg

Spiky.....I rather like your "shoehorn" shot.
Cracking colours.

Smiled to myself when I saw that you had accidentally caught a train behind the palm tree ;) so for that reason and the nice bright colours I'd go for that one but the Salisbury shot is good with a dramatic sky and good details (so sharp that there is a bird just to the left of the spire that had me rubbing my screen because I thought at first it was a spec of dust)

Topical - Interesting take on the theme. Like everyone else has said, I like the “juxtaposition”, to borrow that "clever" word. :p

Living World - Couple of nice shots there. It’s always interesting seeing how nature takes over manmade features! :) Great ones for the theme!

Spiky - Love the cathedral shot. Even with only one spire, I think it works for spiky because all the bare trees are a bit spiky themselves, aren’t they?

Your comment about the photobombing train made me laugh.

Topical: Confused by the lack of a train but I like your thinking. If you could have got lower, you'd have moved the horizontal part of the lamp post up and away from the shard and then you could have stepped right slightly to get more of the base in. The Shard would also have appeared more looming, both as a building and a metaphor for development. I realise getting lower in a busy London street is not always easy.

Living World: I had considered photographing some weeds coming up through the pavement to convey the exact same idea! These are far more dramatic. Controversially I think I prefer the second shot as nature ignore the man-made barriers.

Spiky: Admit it, you carried that tree all the way up to the platform, didn't you? Quite a fun shot with the colours in the background. The Salisbury shot's very pretty but not as spiky.

A lot better, works quite well now (y)
Yes, you're right. I spent a while on the Cathedral shot and really didn't spend much time on the palm tree (other than a crop). I should have engaged brain before uploading :)

Spiky.....I rather like your "shoehorn" shot.
Cracking colours.
Cheers. I liked the colours too. The sky was just fantastic that morning.

Smiled to myself when I saw that you had accidentally caught a train behind the palm tree ;) so for that reason and the nice bright colours I'd go for that one but the Salisbury shot is good with a dramatic sky and good details (so sharp that there is a bird just to the left of the spire that had me rubbing my screen because I thought at first it was a spec of dust)
Thanks Chris. The cathedral shot was the one that took time to capture (and a bit of processing too), so the one I'm most happy with, but the palm was much more on theme (and lincluded the train for my shoe horn).

Topical - Interesting take on the theme. Like everyone else has said, I like the “juxtaposition”, to borrow that "clever" word. :p

Living World - Couple of nice shots there. It’s always interesting seeing how nature takes over manmade features! :) Great ones for the theme!

Spiky - Love the cathedral shot. Even with only one spire, I think it works for spiky because all the bare trees are a bit spiky themselves, aren’t they?

Your comment about the photobombing train made me laugh.
Thanks Sheylara.
Topical was a difficult theme wasn't it (though it really shouldn't have been). I thought it worked quite well (it's just a shame one of our local pubs has been closed for over a year now!).
I'm pleased with the cathedral shot. It's one I took time over (composition, light, processing) rather than an opportunistic shot.

The cathedral shot is very pretty, but I agree with Ruth - I do like the colours in your photobombing train shot.
Thanks Emma. The colours are rather good in the photobombed shot aren't they :)

Topical: Confused by the lack of a train but I like your thinking. If you could have got lower, you'd have moved the horizontal part of the lamp post up and away from the shard and then you could have stepped right slightly to get more of the base in. The Shard would also have appeared more looming, both as a building and a metaphor for development. I realise getting lower in a busy London street is not always easy.

Living World: I had considered photographing some weeds coming up through the pavement to convey the exact same idea! These are far more dramatic. Controversially I think I prefer the second shot as nature ignore the man-made barriers.

Spiky: Admit it, you carried that tree all the way up to the platform, didn't you? Quite a fun shot with the colours in the background. The Salisbury shot's very pretty but not as spiky.
Hi Nick. The Shard is built on top of London Bridge station. Does that count? ;)
Living World - It's interesting how opinion has been split. I was all for the bridge originally, but I can see the appeal of the other shot too.
Spiky - Platform 9 of Clapham Junction has had these palms for as long as I can remember. I've always wondered why. But now I know that it was in preparation for @Cobra pulling this theme from the bag. They were the first things I thought of!

Hi Tim :)

Spiky - Nice to see something non-trainy again, and something trainy :D

Tough choice, The curved path and broken branches distract a bit for me so would prefer them cropped or cloned, but that spire against them clouds is very nice, along with the river... but for me, I'm going to go for the edit version of the palm, the train sneaking in is a bonus, but mainly I like it for the stark contrast between the plant and all the horizontal lines of the station, train and railings :)

Hi Tim ....I like the 'spiky' cathedral, excellent original idea for the theme.

The Palm I would have taken against that gorgeous blue sky looking upwards and cut out the station o_O
Hi Susie. It was a deliberate choice to include the station, so I could get the photobomb :)
An upwards shot against the sky would actually have been the easier shot...

Hi Tim :)

Spiky - Nice to see something non-trainy again, and something trainy :D

Tough choice, The curved path and broken branches distract a bit for me so would prefer them cropped or cloned, but that spire against them clouds is very nice, along with the river... but for me, I'm going to go for the edit version of the palm, the train sneaking in is a bonus, but mainly I like it for the stark contrast between the plant and all the horizontal lines of the station, train and railings :)
I'm going to have to keep doing this shoehorn / not quite so shoehorned thing aren't I... Hmmm.
I see what you mean by the path, but I'm going to have to disagree regarding the trees. I feel that they give the Spire a certain amount of framing. I did consider attempting to clone out the ones on the left, but decided against it as I feel they give a certain amount of balance in the shot (but hey, what do I know ;) )

I really should have edited the shot at Clapham properly first time... Quite impressed to have the platforms quite so free of passnegers considering the rush hour was only just over.

Spiky, indeed, I'd prefer the BG being totally excluded and the plant against a blue BG.

Cheers.
But then it loses context, and I feel that having palms on a busy london station is quite odd contextually.

Hi Tim, like th last of your Spiky images, the tweaks have certainly lifted the image overall. Good colours.

Nice Spiky cathedral, Tim! The last spiky plant one is good, but I like your treatment of that cathedral shot. The branch encroaching top left is a bit annoying (easily removed, of course ;)) but still a good solid shot.

2 Great images Tim, but I think Salisbury Cathedral is the one for me nice lead in with the river and nice detail in the sky.

Hey Tim

Everything's leaning!

The cathedral shot works well, good FG, ordinarily I think I'd want more cathedral but the spiky bits only does the trick.

#2 nice OOF CHOO CHOO.

:)

Hi Tim, like th last of your Spiky images, the tweaks have certainly lifted the image overall. Good colours.
Ta Lee. The edit was a definite improvement.

Nice Spiky cathedral, Tim! The last spiky plant one is good, but I like your treatment of that cathedral shot. The branch encroaching top left is a bit annoying (easily removed, of course ;)) but still a good solid shot.
Ta Paul.

Salisbury Cathedral for me - beautiful English countryside:)
Cheers Liz. It's about as close to the constable painting as you can get these days (I may have mentioned this before ;) )

2 Great images Tim, but I think Salisbury Cathedral is the one for me nice lead in with the river and nice detail in the sky.
Thanks, the lead in was what I was trying for.

Hey Tim

Everything's leaning!
It was a bit, wasn't it :)

The cathedral shot works well, good FG, ordinarily I think I'd want more cathedral but the spiky bits only does the trick.

#2 nice OOF CHOO CHOO.

:)
The only way to get more of the cathedral is with a fish eye, or by doing a pano from close up.

It's interesting that there has been a fair bit of comment over the branches on the left of the Cathedral.
I could have (had a go at) cloned them out, but actually I left them there deliberately as I felt they added balance and a frame to the spire.
Anyone fancy cloning them out and posting an edit?

I like the second version of the second spiky shot! Bang on theme and there's a train in it, what more could you ask for?

I like the second version of the second spiky shot! Bang on theme and there's a train in it, what more could you ask for?
Indeed. Gotta love photobombing trains :)

Spiky - both are great shots (prefer the re-shoot of the second) but the cathedral is a beautiful image and gets my vote :)
Cheers Jon. The second version of the Palm wasn't a re-shoot, but just a quick re-edit (transform tool and crop), but the Cathedral does seem to have ben the winner this week.

Week 11 : Artificial

Battersea Power Station.
As viewed from Battersea Park Station in order to get an fairly unobstructed view.
This is the first of the Artificial Chimneys that are being built to replace the originals that they've taken down over the past few months.
You can tell they aren't the originals as they have a much more matt look to them.

Processing also gives a fake artificial look to the shot. I've gone with processing to fake the kind of image I took a few weeks ago with the pinhole camera.

Week 11 : Artificial
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back