LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

Hi Tim,

I like both shots for old but the second one works best for me. I like the pp you have done. Crop is a tiny bit tight maybe but I am nit picking really.
Metal: Nice shot that. Nice light which has really brought out the textures.

Cracking start to your 52.
Cheers Lee.
I couldn't widen the crop on the car any further than I did, in fact to keep it equal on both sides I had to clone out part of a Range Rover.
I was trying to bring out the textures in the metal, hence wanting to shoot in hard light, but that in itself caused issues. I'm pretty please with the result.

Hi Tim ... That's a perfect choice for the theme, lovely texture contrast with the peeling paint, the rust, and the smooth Metal.
I was going to say about the crop being too tight but I just saw your explanation to Andy :)
Ta Susie,
I really should get out there with some paint and re-do the garage doors before they get too tatty.

Hi Tim, I love locks and doors and this is very nice (y) And not a train in sight :p

Given the restraints you have explained you did good boy ;)
You may get a few weeks off of having trains shoe-horned in, but don't worry - normal service will be resumed eventually ;)

Hi Tim,
Wonderful photography I particularly like the first 'old' shot and the colour and detail in the 'metal' shot. .

Great image, i really like the contrasting finish from rust to shiny chrome. Leaves a lot for the viewer to decide. Good luck completing you 52

Metal: At first I thought that this was a lock on an old train carriage :)

Nice textures - I would have tried to bring out the texture more though, but thats just a personal thing. I'm not sure about the crop, maybe a portrait crop would be more suitable? Regardless, I like photos such as these - everyday things folk tend to overlook. Nicely done once again.

Best wishes,
David

Catching up on my commenting now I'm back on a PC.

Old - Prefer #1 of the two shots, with the person in it and the sense of movement it has more interest for me than the static car. (Nothing wrong with the car shot though).

Metal - With the restaints you had for the composition you have done a good job, nice detail in both the wood and the lock/clasp.

I really like the Train shot for old, me for there is more interest than the car. However, the padlock is great - I love these sorts of images (y)

Hi Tim,
Wonderful photography I particularly like the first 'old' shot and the colour and detail in the 'metal' shot. .
Cheers Liz, #1 of my 'OLD' shots was my favourite too.

Great image, i really like the contrasting finish from rust to shiny chrome. Leaves a lot for the viewer to decide. Good luck completing you 52
Thanks. It's amazing that there is any chrome left on the lock at all with the neglect it's had.

Hi Tim, I really like the processing for "Metal" it suits image very well :)
:)

Metal: At first I thought that this was a lock on an old train carriage :)

Nice textures - I would have tried to bring out the texture more though, but thats just a personal thing. I'm not sure about the crop, maybe a portrait crop would be more suitable? Regardless, I like photos such as these - everyday things folk tend to overlook. Nicely done once again.

Best wishes,
David
Would I attempt to shoe horn a train into every shot??? (yeah maybe I would ;) )
The crop had to be like that, I was working within a number of constraints, other bits of the door and harsh lighting. Post #36 attempts to explain the constraints.

Catching up on my commenting now I'm back on a PC.

Old - Prefer #1 of the two shots, with the person in it and the sense of movement it has more interest for me than the static car. (Nothing wrong with the car shot though).

Metal - With the restaints you had for the composition you have done a good job, nice detail in both the wood and the lock/clasp.

I really like the Train shot for old, me for there is more interest than the car. However, the padlock is great - I love these sorts of images (y)

Hi Tim

Old ... beautiful car sans any awkward reflection ... but I love the candid portrait of Nellie, top job.

Metal ... flaking paint, rusty old metal always works. Nice to see the writing on the lock .

Hi Tim

Old ... beautiful car sans any awkward reflection ... but I love the candid portrait of Nellie, top job.

Metal ... flaking paint, rusty old metal always works. Nice to see the writing on the lock .
Cheers David. Nellie was my fave of the 2 I posted for Old too, but the car was probably technically better.

Hi Tim :)

Metal - Nice composition and I like how the light shines on the lock and draws your eyes, the peeling paint on the wood which is another of my favorite elements so the perfect background for my liking (y)
Ta DK. I must paint that wood sometime soon ;) The light was actually a sod to work with, glad you like it.

hello looks like your off to a solid start on your challenge.
Thanks Mandy.

Week 2 : Captive

Lumiere London 2016 - Plastic Islands.
Normally seeing plastic bottles in the fountains at Trafalgar Sq would make you wonder which ignorant bstd did that...
But for Lumiere London thousands of bottles have been corralled in one of the fountains.
They are held captive in a circle surrounding the fountain closest to the Gift Horse.

TP 52 for 2015 - Week 2 : Captive
by Tim White, on Flickr

Interesting idea for an art installation- I think you have caught the light really well, I just hope it doesn't encourage others to throw their empties in!

What an intriguing picture :) I think they look great (and a great capture too!) really like this one Tim :)

Interesting idea for an art installation- I think you have caught the light really well, I just hope it doesn't encourage others to throw their empties in!
Thanks Jon, Thanks Ruth.
It was an interesting shot to take, lots of crowds, quite a range between the lights and the darkness, wanting to shoot wide open to keep the iso down, but also wanting to get a fair bit into focus. Oh, and hand held too.
I think it turned out okay.

Great shop, nice lighting on the bottles and composition. And I like the hint of a reflection of the fountain.

I want to go tomorrow, you think I shouldn't even bother with lugging a tripod around?

Great shop, nice lighting on the bottles and composition. And I like the hint of a reflection of the fountain.

I want to go tomorrow, you think I shouldn't even bother with lugging a tripod around?
Trafalgar Square wasn't too bad around 9pm. Oxford St & Regent St were pretty busy but there were people with tripods and they weren't particularly in the way. The bit between Kings Cross & St Pancras was an absolute mare around 6.30. I wouldn't have wanted to even carry a tripod through there, let alone try to use it, though the Circus of Light stuff north of KX seemed much less crowded.
It was bloody cold last night, if it's warmer tonight the crowds may be worse. (Though I suppose less of us leaving work and going for a look).

Made me look hard, which is a good thing. I understand that you were probably limited as to what you could do but a little more light on the central fountain (for my monitor at least) may draw the eye in more immediately and inevitably I'd like to see more or all of the circle of bottles. All that said it's a good shot and you have captured the main feature - the bottles - very well.

Considering you have people, bad light and its cold you have managed to pull off a great shot.(y)

Really like this. Love the way the light is on the bottles.

Brilliant bit of modern art and so nicely taken Tim. Love the colours provided by the bottles and the water movement. Very novel response to the theme. :clap:

Week 3 - Miniature

A couple of shots this week, playing with flash.

The first is a very tight crop using a diffuser on the flash

TP 52 for 2016 - Week 3 : Miniature
by Tim White, on Flickr

The second is using off camera flash and an umbrella to soften the flash (my first attempt at off camera flash!)

TP 52 for 2016 - Week 3 : Miniature
by Tim White, on Flickr

I like both for different reasons, but I believe #1 pips it due to the contrast in size.

Hi Tim. Yes as you say, for the theme #1 takes it precisely because of the contrast but in terms of lighting, #2 is spot on. (I too am on the learning curve with off camera flash - what an amazing difference it makes to the depth of the subject. Hope you enjoy the learning curve as much as I do). :clap:

Hi

Captive - that's a really nice shot, an unusual sight and lots of detail (especially for handheld). Was hoping to get up and see this myself but didn't make it.
Miniature - I agree, #1 works much better for the theme and is a nice shot. Well done with the lighing with the flash, not something I find easy.

#1 for me too, the sense of scale is great and the large bogey has enough detail to make a good background without being distracting

Hi, first of all love the bottle pic, very strange indeed not sure the train pics are working for me, I like the idea of the first one big and little but the angle doesn't seem to work, but I am not sure what would:thinking:

Hi. Number 1 for me. Lighting is really good. You've lit the dark background without any undesirable effect on the miniature train. Also like that the background provides some context for size
Thanks Jason. This is my first attempt at using diffusers and OCF, so probably beginners luck more than anything else.

Hi Tim. Yes as you say, for the theme #1 takes it precisely because of the contrast but in terms of lighting, #2 is spot on. (I too am on the learning curve with off camera flash - what an amazing difference it makes to the depth of the subject. Hope you enjoy the learning curve as much as I do). :clap:
Ta Carl. I'm feel that the subject of some of my shots for the 52 this year may end up being a bit ordinary, with the point of them being to attempt to work with OCF and diffusers etc. Onwards and Upwards :)

Hi

Captive - that's a really nice shot, an unusual sight and lots of detail (especially for handheld). Was hoping to get up and see this myself but didn't make it.
Miniature - I agree, #1 works much better for the theme and is a nice shot. Well done with the lighing with the flash, not something I find easy.
Thanks Steve. It's all about learning and improving.

#1 for me too, the sense of scale is great and the large bogey has enough detail to make a good background without being distracting
Cheers Chris.

Hi, first of all love the bottle pic, very strange indeed not sure the train pics are working for me, I like the idea of the first one big and little but the angle doesn't seem to work, but I am not sure what would:thinking:
Lumiere had some interesting lights. Of the ones I got to see, that one was certainly the oddest, and I thought appropriate for the theme.
For miniature, the aim was more to play with lighting than create a great work of art ;) I wonder if shooting from below, through glass (using natural light) would have produced a more interesting 'miniature' shot.

Definitely #1 for the theme Tim, nice contrast between the large and small.
Cheers Susie. Large & Small, hmmm, more like small & tiny. The loco in the front stands about 5-6mm tall...

LOL glad you managed to slide in a train shot ( or two) Tim :D
The first one for me too, it really shows off miniature (y)

Reactions: LC2
I like Captive very much ... cool idea, nicely shot.

Miniature ... 1 & 2 both look a bit over-lit & grainy to me ... but wait till you see my first attempt at off camera flash! :eek:

I would have said #1 for me, but now as I know how tiny the smaller trains are it's #2.

Great idea for Captive. On first look I thought typical, must have been a good party......but your explanation enlightened me :coat:

And it isn't a train :p

Miniature, it's #1 for me. Great sense of scale (y)

Back