LC's 52 Shoehorns for 2016 : Week 52 - Celebration

HI Tim

Great start to our 52 Challenge

Old: defiantly not a shoe horn 2 great images I prefer the first (despite being more a car man than a train man)

Metal: Works for me

Captive: Without the description I wouldn't got it but with it, it works and its a good image

Miniature I prefer the 1st image as the background appears to give a better sense of scale

I'll plump for shot number 2. Looks sharper (due to lack of a tight crop?) and DoF is nicer on the eye. It's still clearly a miniature so I'll not quibble about the lack of scale by comparison :)

I would have said #1 for me, but now as I know how tiny the smaller trains are it's #2.
Stick with #1 imo ;)

Great idea for Captive. On first look I thought typical, must have been a good party......but your explanation enlightened me :coat:

And it isn't a train :p

Miniature, it's #1 for me. Great sense of scale (y)
Cheers Jill. I was determined to do something different for captive, and felt that shot fitted the bill well. Otherwise it was going to be a shot of a well known breakfast featuring oats, water and milk - 'Doing Porridge' ;)

Miniature #1 for me too.

HI Tim

Great start to our 52 Challenge

Old: defiantly not a shoe horn 2 great images I prefer the first (despite being more a car man than a train man)

Metal: Works for me

Captive: Without the description I wouldn't got it but with it, it works and its a good image

Miniature I prefer the 1st image as the background appears to give a better sense of scale
Thanks @Downton Mini. You seem to have favoured the same ones I do. I expect you'll see one or two more railway and/or car shots from me during the year...

I'll plump for shot number 2. Looks sharper (due to lack of a tight crop?) and DoF is nicer on the eye. It's still clearly a miniature so I'll not quibble about the lack of scale by comparison :)
#2 was a tight crop, but I was only 18" or so from the models at 70mm.

#1 for me too.

As Andy says, its a bit grainy which is a surprise as using flash you could have lowered the ISO (says me who shot my pic this week at ISO 400 un-intentionally!)

Good image all the same.

Hey Tim :)

Captive - The lights in the background distract a tad for and would have been tempted to clone/spot remove them, other than that I like the wide crop, the lit building, reflection and the light coming through the water, nice idea for the theme :)

Miniature - Good to see you experimenting with flash, that's the great thing about the 52 for me !! - Fist shot for me, the second looks a bit lost with no sense of scale - the first however works a treat, really liking the bright train against the dusty/mucky train wheels (y)

Really like the 'capture' shot, unusual and great lighting. The second shot of the two small trains is my favourite of the two for miniature.

I am liking both of the miniature shots; #1 is more explicit in addressing the theme - the contrast in colour and size emphasises the point. I am, however, drawn to #2 simply because of the lines and potential for playing around with geometry inside the frame. Would like to see some of the models and lines shot directly from above.

Spooks

#1 for me too.

As Andy says, its a bit grainy which is a surprise as using flash you could have lowered the ISO (says me who shot my pic this week at ISO 400 un-intentionally!)

Good image all the same.
The shot was taken at 100 iso. It is more or less a 100% crop though and you are viewing the models larger than life.
if you download the other shot and view it 100% you'll see what appears to be noise/grain is actually the texture of the shell of the model. The models are only about 5mm tall,

Hey Tim :)

Captive - The lights in the background distract a tad for and would have been tempted to clone/spot remove them, other than that I like the wide crop, the lit building, reflection and the light coming through the water, nice idea for the theme :)

Miniature - Good to see you experimenting with flash, that's the great thing about the 52 for me !! - First shot for me, the second looks a bit lost with no sense of scale - the first however works a treat, really liking the bright train against the dusty/mucky train wheels (y)
I did clone out a few bits of the original captive shot, but didn't want to take too much of real life away
I prefer the first of the miniature shots too.

Really like the 'capture' shot, unusual and great lighting. The second shot of the two small trains is my favourite of the two for miniature.
Cheers :)

I am liking both of the miniature shots; #1 is more explicit in addressing the theme - the contrast in colour and size emphasises the point. I am, however, drawn to #2 simply because of the lines and potential for playing around with geometry inside the frame. Would like to see some of the models and lines shot directly from above.

Spooks
I'll have to see what I can do...

great idea wiith the trains, prefer the second the best, just seems better balanced

Yes well framed. What is it part of may I ask ?

Gaz

Nice find Tim, great textures and colours (y)

Nice composition and I like the greens
Cheers.

Sure looks old and abandoned. Like the subtle range of colours we have in there. Particularity drawn to that hole where the wood has rotted away
It was the colours that drew me to it (my other option was an abandoned Morris Minor which was more uniform so less interesting).

Yes well framed. What is it part of may I ask ?

Gaz
The part of a BR Shark Brake.

Nice one Tim, as Clive says, really like the greens

Phil
Thanks

Lots of lovely textures in there Tim ...I really like this one....looks even better on Flickr.
Cheers Susie.

Very nice composition. The bolts don't quite seem to have exact focus?
Now you come to mention it :(
To be fair the the focus point was actually to the right of the bolts and this is a recomposed crop. I should really have increased the iso and dropped the aperture to f/8.

Hell of a start to your challenge Tim.
Really like the textures in the last...Abandoned.
I think you need to change your thread title....No show horns needed.

Great sense of abandonment with a nice feeling of questions unanswered which adds to it for me. Well done

Abandoned - Great composition love the detail in this one, I did think maybe better in B&W but after looking at it again I love the subtle colours

Hi Tim, also surprised I hadn't managed over to this thread until now... at least I'm catching up finally!

0 Old: two great captures and the lighting on the car in particular is wonderful. The desaturation really works here for me (I realise it's a bit marmite, but I like this). It could probably stand to be cropped slightly wider (which may have required even more erasing of other objects!) but still a super capture and the pick of the two for me.
1 Metal: works well in the context of the theme and the monotone colouring (i.e. all brown) fits. A touch more space below and above might strengthen it further though realise you were constrained by what we can't see!
2 Captive: very definitely interesting! I like the fact it's so different.
3 Miniature: #2 for me as I find #1 not quite in focus enough for the miniature (which is presumably the intended principal subject!) I also like the angle/leading line of the track in #2. Getting even lower down and "in your face" with the trains in #2 might also work - get some really shallow DOF and just the front of the engines in focus?
did I miss Happy?
5 Abandoned: I really like this. I like the fact you've just gone for one small part of something abandoned, yet manage to convey that overall sense from just that microcosm. Capturing it "on corner" works well for me compositionally, too. Really minor point: when viewed large on flickr, it looks as if some of the bolts/nuts aren't quite in focus - if you could have nailed that it would be spot on for me. Really like this one!

Great journey so far - looking forward to more :)

Hi, well spotted, I am taking a wild guess at it being part of some type of rolling stock, slightly missed focus as mentioned above, which is a pity as the composition is good

Thanks everyone.
Allan is right, it's rolling stock, not a carriage, but a brake van (BR Shark Brake to be strictly accurate) that was sitting in the sidings at the GCR this weekend awaiting it's turn in the restoration queue.

Unfortunately when you pixel peek the focus is off of the bolts (it's actually a bit to the right), I should have used a higher f-stop because I wasn't sure on how I was going to crop the composition.

I may post an alternative image after the weekend as there is something else that strikes me as on theme locally. It does depend on 1. the weather and 2. if I can get through the undergrowth to it.

Week 4 : Happy

A teenager smiling. Not something you see every day...
Happy as the final part of her costume for London Anime con 2016 had arrived and everything fitted.

TP 52 for 2016 - Week 4 : Happy
by Tim White, on Flickr

Not sure how I'm supposed to take the shot with flash and not get the shadows under the glasses. I was just impressed that I'd managed to avoid red-eye and reflections in the glass itself (on-camera bounce flash - can't remember if I had a diffuser over the head).

Week 4 : Happy

Not sure how I'm supposed to take the shot with flash and not get the shadows under the glasses. I was just impressed that I'd managed to avoid red-eye and reflections in the glass itself (on-camera bounce flash - can't remember if I had a diffuser over the head).

Hi Tim - perfectly on theme! She looks very happy and so should she be - she's allowed to wear crazy hair!

Avoiding red-eye and glasses reflections is not easy with on camera flash. And shadows in general can be quite obvious, although you've done well on that here. Likewise there aren't some of the telltale specular highlights (the advantage of shooting kids is their skin isn't greasy like ours!)

So all in all, I think you've done really very well given the challenges of on camera flash. Best bet though is to try to get it off camera. 45 degrees to subject and high up is a decent starting point but even bouncing it off a wall and/or ceiling is a bonus. If you're bouncing it when on camera, make sure you shield any flash from directly hitting the subject - you want all of the light bouncing off the wall/ceiling. Something like this can be had a for a couple of quid from amazon etc: http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/conical-snoot-for-portable-flash-in-zigzag-gold-on-silver.html (best to get white interior, though).

I found it required a bit of experimentation, but it's worth it! Have fun and good capture for this theme :)

Wow! Like the colour in Abandoned and real decay in evidence. Hopefully due for restoration. A very nice portrait for Happy Tim - like all that hair flying around and that slightly off-centre comp. I wondered about that issue you raised about flash shadowing under the eyes and have just read Paul's response. Very interesting - may even invest in one of those gadgets but am trying my hand at off camera flash and am quite pleased with the results. Anyway, a couple of really good shot Tim. :clap:

Hi Tim, nice efforts for both abandoned and Happy. I feel your pain with regards to reflections in glasses and flash. Getting the flash off camera is a good way to overcome it...and opens up a whole new world of photographic techniques!

Hi, nice pic of your daughter you are bound to get shadows I don't know why you are being so hard on yourself they are not too harsh so they are only what I would expect

I have looked all over the pic and have failed to spot anything train related :thinking: :p slacker

Well, abandoned is definitely a grower. The more I look at it the more I like it and would probably agree with a previous comment about perhaps getting even closer in.

Happy: an excellent take all things considered and a very happy, interesting subject (great smile and the colour adds to it).

Lighting is certainly a weak point of mine so can't crit the flash at all.

Well done on both :)

Hiya. Nice shot for Happy looks a great outfit. As said above shadows are not that bad for me. I would imagine careful bouncing here as with all that hair over her face she may as well have been wearing a hat. You did well !

Gaz

Hi Tim

I like your approach to Abandoned ... just a corner of something (to do with trains no doubt) ... getting in on some detail, abandoned wood & metal.

Happy .. that's cute. Looks perfectly lit to me ... some use a reflector to bounce light up into the face (no that I know about such things).

(y)

Back