weekly Leebert's 2015 52 - Week 52 - Christmas.

That is excellent Lee. Great DoF, nice detail - marvellous subject. I like. :clap:

Support ... on theme ... good clear, sharp image. (y)

That is excellent Lee. Great DoF, nice detail - marvellous subject. I like. :clap:
Thank you Carl.

Support ... on theme ... good clear, sharp image. (y)
Thanks for your comment.

Support, wonderful bird, pity you couldn't capture it with wings wide.

Cheers.
Thanks. I do have some with its wings open but the Owl had it's back to me or it had already taken off like the shot below. They didn't quite fit support for me.

Take off by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Great image, he is an excellent support for the owl and what a beautiful owl she is, the background looks great too so I guess it was a well considered angle. I like the shallow depth of field too! Clappy handies from me [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Hi Lee,
Words .... that works well, I think the raise in exposure is ok, but IMHO I think its it looks a tad dark because the lights coming from the right and you have a bit of a shadow cast on the LH side of the image, particularly on the heart. I would lighten the left had a small amount to balance the exposure. Its only being picky Lee;).

Support .... or is the Keepers arm the support;) Absolutely stunning birds, what beauty and grace! Nice shots Lee, and nicely squeezed into the Topic;)

Hi Lee :wave:

2 fab shots for Support - the first one is a great composition and not a shoehorn at all and the focus on #2 is perfect as it must have been moving at some speed :eek:

Hi Lee, Support: Don't think it's shoehorned at all. That's a big beastie, nice and sharp, good DoF for background separation. I do like the second shot :)

wow ... amazing and frightening in equal measures.

Great image, he is an excellent support for the owl and what a beautiful owl she is, the background looks great too so I guess it was a well considered angle. I like the shallow depth of field too! Clappy handies from me [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
Just seen this last image...holy moly I bloody love this shot!!
Thank you very much for your kind words. The background was tricky here. For the most part, the BG was the aviaries like the other photo which doesn't work as well.

Hi Lee,
Words .... that works well, I think the raise in exposure is ok, but IMHO I think its it looks a tad dark because the lights coming from the right and you have a bit of a shadow cast on the LH side of the image, particularly on the heart. I would lighten the left had a small amount to balance the exposure. Its only being picky Lee;).

Support .... or is the Keepers arm the support;) Absolutely stunning birds, what beauty and grace! Nice shots Lee, and nicely squeezed into the Topic;)
Thanks. The lighting was one thing I struggled with on this one. I am a great admirer of all bird of prey. They have a certain grace and power.

Hi, no shoehorn needed for support at all, lovely owl too
Thank you :)

Hi Lee :wave:

2 fab shots for Support - the first one is a great composition and not a shoehorn at all and the focus on #2 is perfect as it must have been moving at some speed :eek:
Thanks. The second one did have an element of luck I think. They don't hang about!

Hi Lee, Support: Don't think it's shoehorned at all. That's a big beastie, nice and sharp, good DoF for background separation. I do like the second shot :)
Thanks for taking the time to comment (y)

wow ... amazing and frightening in equal measures.
Thanks - yes, it was a great show.

Hi Lee, perfect fit for the theme. I can just see the shadow, I wonder if pulling the shadows down would bring this out a bit or increasing contrast.

Hi Lee. Nice exposure and detail. As Susie says, simple and effective.

Hi Lee, perfect fit for the theme. I can just see the shadow, I wonder if pulling the shadows down would bring this out a bit or increasing contrast.
Thank you for your comments. I'll have a look at that.

Hi Lee super bit of macro work there, lovely clear detail, and a simple but effective image for the theme.
Thank you Susie.

Hi Lee. Nice exposure and detail. As Susie says, simple and effective.
Thanks Carl.

Week 34 - Geometric.

A couple of archive mobile phone shots. Please excuse the photo quality. The first from July 2014 and the second from May this year.

This one is a building next to the O2 in North Greenwich. I liked the shapes in the building as a whole but I took several close in and at different angles of which, this was one.
TP 2015 52. Week 34 - Geometric 1. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

This one is at the British Museum. The roof is amazing to look at and, when the Sun come out, the shadows cast shapes on the central internal building.
TP 2015 52. Week 34 - Geometric 2. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Hi Lee, #1 is a corker, but #2 has it for me. On first view I didn't think it was very big until I noticed the people in the corners! That roof looks amazing, bugger to clean though :)

Hi Lee. Yes, both striking images but #2 for me as well - love the shadows cast across the face of the building

Hi Lee, both work very well, can't pick a favourite,
i can forgive the archive element too, have been to the British Museum it is a stunning building

Hi Lee

Religion ... simple, effective, good detail.

Geometric ... Foster's roof at the British Museum ... my first thought when the G theme was announced, I go there quite regularly. So, great minds ...

Geometric #1 ... I don't know, but interesting, fits the theme.

Hi Lee, #1 is a corker, but #2 has it for me. On first view I didn't think it was very big until I noticed the people in the corners! That roof looks amazing, bugger to clean though :)
Hi there. Thanks - it is a very impressive building and certainly has the Wow! factor as you walk in.

Hi Lee,
Archive shots forgiven for this one :) I really love them both, they leapt out of the screen at me, brilliant for phone shots, great composition too in them both, especially the identical handrails on the second one :clap::clap:
Hi Susie,
Thanks very much. The second on did take a few goes until I was happy.

Hi Lee. Yes, both striking images but #2 for me as well - love the shadows cast across the face of the building
Thanks Carl. That's what struck me. The Sun had only just come out. Pity it didn't a touch earlier in the day as the shadows may have been vertical in the middle - I'm a bit fussy like that;)

Hi Lee, both work very well, can't pick a favourite,
i can forgive the archive element too, have been to the British Museum it is a stunning building
Thank you for your comment :)

That is well captured, the expression on his face is perfect and you also have the owl face on (y)
Thank you. They are seriously impressive birds.

Two great shots there Lee.
I prefer number 2 with the shadows and the b&w processing, but that's not to say number 1 isn't excellent too.
Thank you (y)

Prefer #1 with the geometric patterns and colour.
Thank you.

Hi Lee

Religion ... simple, effective, good detail.

Geometric ... Foster's roof at the British Museum ... my first thought when the G theme was announced, I go there quite regularly. So, great minds ...

Geometric #1 ... I don't know, but interesting, fits the theme.
Thanks. Great minds indeed (y)

Nice Macro, must have been hard with all the reflective surfaces. (y)
Thanks Brian. It wasn't too bad. I took it in front of a window (at the top of the shot) and held a white hanky in front to soften the light a bit.

I've been a bit busy of late but I have managed to get the camera out over the last couple of days to catch up (albeit, with a few weak photos IMHO)...

Week 35: Fashion...
A bit of a weak shot this. A record of the ever increasing cost to stay "in fashion".
TP 2015 52. Week 35 - Fashion. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Week 36: Chilled...
An archive shot from earlier this year of the frost on the roof of the car...
TP 2015 52. Week 36 - Chilled. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Week 37: Special...
After many years of saving pennies here and there, a lifelong dream became reality in 2013...
TP 2015 52. Week 37 - Special. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Week 37: Reshoot (Geometric)...
I relied on archive shots for the actual week but this time I'm bang up to date with a photo of the in-law's drive from Saturday...
TP 2015 52. Week 37 - Geometric reshoot by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Chilled is the pick of the bunch for me. I thought frosty grass at first until I read the description.
B&W suits thw shot well and the DoF works nicely. Zoomed in you can see it is crystal sharp. Worthy of a print on your wall IMO.

The 7 is a special car, so nicely on subject and it looks like it may be in the 'right' colours too. I find the shot a bit weak, I think there was so much more you could have made of such a good subject, but well done on the catch-up. Having been 6 or 7 shots behind recently I know the pressure it puts on you.

Geometric works nicely and is actually quite compelling. It would be interesting to add water (and perhaps some oil from the 7) to introduce some reflections to it. Something for a re-shoot maybe?

Hi Lee

Fashion is a bit weak ... but kind of interesting ... looks like security shutter BG .. but the whole thing was photographed from behind glass.

Chilled is stunning. (y)

Special's a beaut ...love to see the cover raised revealing just the grill like that. The blanked-out No. plate could be toned down a bit.

Geometric is well spotted ..

Good catch-up.

Some nice catchup shots, Lee.

Fashion; on theme and a simple image. Nice tone of red and black colours.

Chilled; Nice macro shot.

Special; that's a nice car, presumed is your special toy?

Geometric Reshoot; I was going to comment about the lack of weed and how you manage to keep the drive so clean until I read your text.

Hi Lee ...You're on theme with Fashion, I think it would also work if it was cropped to just the fabrics to made it a more abstract shot.
Smashing macro of the ice on the car.
Special obviously means a lot to you .....but I'd like to see a bit more of your car.
Geometric, I noticed how weed free it was too :wideyed: well spotted I wouldn't have thought of that even though we have a brick paved drive.

Well done with your catch up.

Hi Lee - a bit of a catch up on comments.

Fashion: Spot on theme - not sure whether the dresses themselves are in fashion ... .would prefer something a little more flouncy myself for the weekend ha ha.
Chilled: That's a good shot - must have been some frost that morning - looks awesome.
Special: A very special car. Caterham is just down the road from me and the company were located in the town until a couple or so years ago so spotted the cars quite frequently. Sadly a distant memory now :(
Reshoot (Geometric): I did think of my neighbours driveway but his has an agricultural feel about it ... joints are not as clean as your in-law's.

Well done on the catch up.

Chilled is the pick of the bunch for me. I thought frosty grass at first until I read the description.
B&W suits thw shot well and the DoF works nicely. Zoomed in you can see it is crystal sharp. Worthy of a print on your wall IMO.

The 7 is a special car, so nicely on subject and it looks like it may be in the 'right' colours too. I find the shot a bit weak, I think there was so much more you could have made of such a good subject, but well done on the catch-up. Having been 6 or 7 shots behind recently I know the pressure it puts on you.

Geometric works nicely and is actually quite compelling. It would be interesting to add water (and perhaps some oil from the 7) to introduce some reflections to it. Something for a re-shoot maybe?

Hi Lee

Fashion is a bit weak ... but kind of interesting ... looks like security shutter BG .. but the whole thing was photographed from behind glass.

Chilled is stunning. (y)

Special's a beaut ...love to see the cover raised revealing just the grill like that. The blanked-out No. plate could be toned down a bit.

Geometric is well spotted ..

Good catch-up.

Some nice catchup shots, Lee.

Fashion; on theme and a simple image. Nice tone of red and black colours.

Chilled; Nice macro shot.

Special; that's a nice car, presumed is your special toy?

Geometric Reshoot; I was going to comment about the lack of weed and how you manage to keep the drive so clean until I read your text.

Hi Lee ...You're on theme with Fashion, I think it would also work if it was cropped to just the fabrics to made it a more abstract shot.
Smashing macro of the ice on the car.
Special obviously means a lot to you .....but I'd like to see a bit more of your car.
Geometric, I noticed how weed free it was too :wideyed: well spotted I wouldn't have thought of that even though we have a brick paved drive.

Well done with your catch up.

Hi Lee - a bit of a catch up on comments.

Fashion: Spot on theme - not sure whether the dresses themselves are in fashion ... .would prefer something a little more flouncy myself for the weekend ha ha.
Chilled: That's a good shot - must have been some frost that morning - looks awesome.
Special: A very special car. Caterham is just down the road from me and the company were located in the town until a couple or so years ago so spotted the cars quite frequently. Sadly a distant memory now :(
Reshoot (Geometric): I did think of my neighbours driveway but his has an agricultural feel about it ... joints are not as clean as your in-law's.

Well done on the catch up.

Thank you all.

Not my strongest shots and it shows that I rushed too much on fashion. Chilled is my favourite shot I think. It's actually in colour. I tried it in mono but it didn't quite work as well.

The Caterham is the 'right' colours ;) She certainly is special. I grew up in Caterham and spent many time with my nose up against the showroom window making a nuisance of myself when they were in Town End on the hill.

I didn't think to try geometric with a wet drive. I certainly wouldn't dare leak any Caterham oil on the drive though - the in-laws would not be pleased! :eek: :D

Hi Lee. Really good sharp image - so many contrasts; the obvious one between "have's" and "have not's" differentiated by the colour v b&w. A sad reflection on our times. Have you thought to crop out the part intruder on the left?

Hi Carl,
Thank you. I went through several different crops but every one either cut a person in half or a building! This one appeared the lesser of the evils if you know what I mean.

She is a beaut (I hope it's pc to say that). Noise is awesome from one of those. Well chosen Lee.

Last edited:
Back