weekly Leebert's 2015 52 - Week 52 - Christmas.

Hi, Lee, belting car, nice angle, light looks nice and soft.

If you have a wider lens getting closer to the exhaust would have also worked.

Cheers.

Hi Lee.
Dispair - I agree with Carl, it's a common sight in London which really should NOT be allowed to happen.
Noise - Great to see the rest of the 7. Good range of tones, nicely sharp and from a decent angle.

ETA a missing NOT in the first sentance that completely changes the sentiment.

Last edited:
Despair ... I like your blending-into-the-BG thought ... and doing selective B&W.

Noise ... wasn't sure about the POV at first but of course we're looking straight into the exhaust.
Andy @posiview 's wide lens idea would look cool.

Last edited:
Hi, agree with Andy above but decent enough pic of the car as it is

Hi Lee, Despair: an emotive shot that works. I have to say I think I would have gone for a tighter crop with emphasis on the faces of the people walking by for a stronger message. I'm sure you tried all the variations!
Noise: a very clean and tidy shot. I think some smoke from the exhaust would have got the "noise" message across better. I like the low perspective which suits the low driving position. (y)

Hi Lee, Some great shots that fit the themes really well. A couple of points from me on "Despair"
When I first looked I missed the person on the floor and initially thought it was down to the PP, however after studying a bit I like what you've done to give it feeling. So looking deeper the distractions for me are the blown sky, the person on the left and the red coat in the background. Also it feels slightly out of balance because of the tall building on the left. My suggestion would be to crop in tighter to only include the two people walking, this will allow the person sat down to fill more of the frame and command the attention more. Great idea and well done on having the bottle to the it (y)

Lovely detail on "Chilled" nice and sharp, DOF and PP works really well (y)

She is a beaut (I hope it's pc to say that). Noise is awesome from one of those. Well chosen Lee.
Thank you. She is a beauty (but then I am biased a bit!) ;)

Hi, Lee, belting car, nice angle, light looks nice and soft.

If you have a wider lens getting closer to the exhaust would have also worked.

Cheers.
Thanks. It was shot at 18mm - my widest lens unfortunately.

Hi Lee.
Dispair - I agree with Carl, it's a common sight in London which really should be allowed to happen.
Noise - Great to see the rest of the 7. Good range of tones, nicely sharp and from a decent angle.
It was lovely light. The BG was spotted by Mrs Leebert. A quick U turn and the impromptu photo shoot ensued :cool:

Despair ... I like your blending-into-the-BG thought ... and doing selective B&W.

Noise ... wasn't sure about the POV at first but of course we're looking straight into the exhaust.
Andy @posiview 's wide lens idea would look cool.
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad the POV reasoning came across :)

Hi, agree with Andy above but decent enough pic of the car as it is
Thank you.

Like the low pov and the main focus being on the exhaust. Bet that makes some noise.
It's not too bad. Ironically, the exhaust isn't too bad but the intake is :eek:

Hi Lee, Despair: an emotive shot that works. I have to say I think I would have gone for a tighter crop with emphasis on the faces of the people walking by for a stronger message. I'm sure you tried all the variations!
Noise: a very clean and tidy shot. I think some smoke from the exhaust would have got the "noise" message across better. I like the low perspective which suits the low driving position. (y)
I have got a fair few shots for despair but of all the crops I tried, the one I posted looked best for me. One to revisit I think...
I hadn't considered any smoke or the the low angle relating to the low driving position - thanks (y)

Hi Lee, Some great shots that fit the themes really well. A couple of points from me on "Despair"
When I first looked I missed the person on the floor and initially thought it was down to the PP, however after studying a bit I like what you've done to give it feeling. So looking deeper the distractions for me are the blown sky, the person on the left and the red coat in the background. Also it feels slightly out of balance because of the tall building on the left. My suggestion would be to crop in tighter to only include the two people walking, this will allow the person sat down to fill more of the frame and command the attention more. Great idea and well done on having the bottle to the it (y)

Lovely detail on "Chilled" nice and sharp, DOF and PP works really well (y)

Hi Chris - Thanks for your critique. Comments taken on board for the next one (y)

Hi Lee, I like the processing on Despair, it adds atmosphere, I do think a tighter crop to just the two people walking by on the left would give more emphasis. He does look a sorry soul, it's very sad that anyone has to resort to begging on the streets.

Noise ....that's a great angle ...I like it :)

Last edited:
Hi Lee, major catch up from me :wave:

Fashion - I too struggled with this theme so as a bloke you had no chance :whistle:. It's just a bit ordinary.

Chilled - mighr be an archive shot but it's still a cracker. I too thought it was grass. Well done that man :clap:

Special - that is such a tease ;) and I agree that the number plate needs toning down, but it's great to see her in all her glory in the Noise shot.

Despair - great use of selective colouring to allow him to blend into the background, great bit of 'street'

Hi Lee, I like the processing on Despair, it adds atmosphere, I do think a tighter crop to just the two people walking by on the left would give more emphasis. He does look a sorry soul, it's very sad that anyone has to resort to begging on the streets.

Noise ....that's a great angle ...I like it :)

Thank you very much. I will have a look at the crop of Despair.

Hi Lee, major catch up from me :wave:

Fashion - I too struggled with this theme so as a bloke you had no chance :whistle:. It's just a bit ordinary.

Chilled - mighr be an archive shot but it's still a cracker. I too thought it was grass. Well done that man :clap:

Special - that is such a tease ;) and I agree that the number plate needs toning down, but it's great to see her in all her glory in the Noise shot.

Despair - great use of selective colouring to allow him to blend into the background, great bit of 'street'

Thanks for your catch up Jill. Fashion was rushed as were some other photos recently. Work can be such a distraction at times :( Talking of which - the weeks are whooshing by and I need to charge the camera and even do some commenting on others images :-o

A quick couple from me for Inverted and Envy.

Envy...
I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't come up already (at least, I haven't seen one - apologies if there has been and I missed it). The worst kind of envy there is - camera and lens envy! :eek: :D
TP 2015 52. Week 40 - Envy. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Inverted:
Taken at The Hawk Conservancy Trust a couple of weekends ago. Food was being catapulted into the air for Black Kites to catch and eat whist flying. A bit of luck was had here as one of the birds went inverted to catch a piece of falling food. Their acrobatics were a sight to behold - amazing flying.
TP 2015 52. Week 41 - Inverted. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi, Lee, love the deadpan expression in Envy. Nice BG and, well, the face :)

Inverted, another clean photograph and it took me a while to get where the head was.

Cheers.

Hi two nice shots there as Andy said above great expression for "envy" and great shot of the bird,
that must have taken a few shots, it takes a while to get your head around whats actually going on

Hi Lee, I think you've got the Envy shot the wrong way around.
Surely the compact is lighter, cheaper and has the longer zoom, and should be envied by the Nikon shooter ;)
Nicely set up shot that :)

Hi Lee. Both excellent shots.
Envy - expression is spot on theme but would you really swap out that compact .... pink is the new black after all.
As for Inverse, extremely well taken of course ... not sure I'd like to be standing directly below, at least not without a full sou'wester

Envy: Good story line, nicely shot and well acted! :D

Inverse: It took me ages to work out what it was, now my neck aches! I have mixed feelings about this one, it IS well shot and it IS a "moment" but the poor thing looks so awkward and uncomfortable that I can't bring myself to enjoy the image. :wacky: :)

Envy ... priceless. Well set up & posed. (y)

Inverse ... :thinking:

Hi, Lee, love the deadpan expression in Envy. Nice BG and, well, the face :)

Inverted, another clean photograph and it took me a while to get where the head was.

Cheers.
Thanks for dropping in. Envy was fun to do. It took a surprising amount of shots until I got 'that face' :D

Hi two nice shots there as Andy said above great expression for "envy" and great shot of the bird,
that must have taken a few shots, it takes a while to get your head around whats actually going on
Thank you. The Kite was part of a sequence of shots. He/She caught lunch and went on to eat it on the wing :cool:

Hi Lee, I think you've got the Envy shot the wrong way around.
Surely the compact is lighter, cheaper and has the longer zoom, and should be envied by the Nikon shooter ;)
Nicely set up shot that :)
Lol:D You might be right there!

Hi Lee. Both excellent shots.
Envy - expression is spot on theme but would you really swap out that compact .... pink is the new black after all.
As for Inverse, extremely well taken of course ... not sure I'd like to be standing directly below, at least not without a full sou'wester
Thanks Carl but I don't think pink suits me ;)

Envy: Good story line, nicely shot and well acted! :D

Inverse: It took me ages to work out what it was, now my neck aches! I have mixed feelings about this one, it IS well shot and it IS a "moment" but the poor thing looks so awkward and uncomfortable that I can't bring myself to enjoy the image. :wacky: :)
The inverted shot does seem to be a bit marmite. Thank you for your comments.

Envy ... priceless. Well set up & posed. (y)

Inverse ... :thinking:
Thanks. Inverted seems to have a theme...

Hi Lee ....love that one for Envy.....a great shot for the theme.

Inverse, well captured, it looks as if he's in free fall, another one spot on for the theme.
Thank you Susie (y)

Two spot on theme shots. Nice idea on the Envy and great expression.

Can't really make out the bird flying inverted but well caught.
Thanks Stan. Inverted is one for a reshoot maybe...

Hi, agree with Susie above a bit of a crop to the left and crop the sky, nice scene anyhow and yes enough autumnal colours to pass as seasonal

Hi Lee ...two super shots for the theme, I would be tempted to nip that bit of grey sky off the top one, I think it emphasises the colour more, I like the inclusion of the water. Glorious colour in the second one ....Autumn is stunning isn't it, nature at its best.

Hi, agree with Susie above a bit of a crop to the left and crop the sky, nice scene anyhow and yes enough autumnal colours to pass as seasonal

Thank you both. Now that you mention it, my eye goes to that corner every time. As requested, here is a quick crop edit...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Av6VD2]TP 2015 52. Week 44 - Seasonal edit. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Onto week 42 - Shimmer...
I could not think of anything at all for this one. Then, like buses, two ideas came at once - both from Mrs Leebert. The first was a portrait with lots of shimmer eye shadow and the other was to take a photo of our fish. In particular the little Neon Tetras that shimmer under the light of the tank.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/AsMht9]TP 2015 52. Week 42 - Shimmer by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Thanks for looking :)

Hi Lee. Seasonal #2 for me - lovely image, beautiful colour, nice DoF, spot on. Great idea for Shimmer- very novel and bang on theme.

Love both of your Seasonal shots particularly the first with the multi colours scene.

Hi Lee. Seasonal #2 for me - lovely image, beautiful colour, nice DoF, spot on. Great idea for Shimmer- very novel and bang on theme.

Thank you both.

A flurry of photographic activity this morning has managed to get me up to date (with photos at least - comments may be squeezed in a bit later). A bit of a cheeky shoehorn these ones but, if it's good enough for @Cobra then it's good enough for me :D

Where would we be without Elements... Photoshop Elements that is ;)

The first one is an idea I have shamelessly "borrowed" from @posiview. A bit rough around the edges but not bad for a first go I thought.
TP 2015 52. Week 43 - Elements 1. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

The second is another idea from Mrs Leebert of me using Elements...
TP 2015 52. Week 43 - Elements 2. by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Neither of them are fantastic but they were a bit of fun on a Sunday and I learnt some new tricks too.

Thanks for looking (y)

Seasonal -it's #2 for me. Love the reds (n)

Shimmer- great depth of field there Lee but the composition doesn't look quite right. I think I'd prefer the shimmery fish towardsthe bottom of the frame. But that's just personal opinion ;)

Elements - I thought of just photographing the box too :p but I like your @posiview pic. Way beyond my skills :clap::clap:

Number 2 from your original Seasonal post Lee. The colours just scream Autumn. Nice :)
Not feeling the love for the shimmer or first elements shot.
Had to chuckle at the seond elements one though.

Both very inventive Lee but I prefer Elements #2 - clearly the product of an ingenious mind to create the infinity.

Hiya, :wave:

Seasonal: glad you listened to the earlier critique, the re-crop looks much better. Bravo.
Shimmer: is that a neon tetra? I used to have some of those once upon a time. Nice and crisp. bravo again!
Elements 1: I see you've been hard at work! -these things, although done many times are always worth a go to help improve our post processing arn't they? - not a bad effort.
Elements 2: I've always been a sucker for the drost effect. Well done on the catch up. (y)

Hi Lee .Shimmer is on topic but I would prefer just the shimmery fish ...the other one is a bit distracting.

Love the Elements shots, the face one is amazing, I've no idea how to do one like that. I've never heard of the drost effect either ...fascinating stuff....two get submissions for the topic.

Absolutely, absolutely! (y)

I very nearly took a picture of the elements box, and posted that :D

A couple of good ideas there Lee :)
Thank you (y)

Seasonal -it's #2 for me. Love the reds (n)

Shimmer- great depth of field there Lee but the composition doesn't look quite right. I think I'd prefer the shimmery fish towardsthe bottom of the frame. But that's just personal opinion ;)

Elements - I thought of just photographing the box too :p but I like your @posiview pic. Way beyond my skills :clap::clap:
Thanks for your comments. I know what you mean abut the fish in the BG. I hadn't noticed how distracting it was until now.
The Bi-portrait wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Here's the tutorial I used - Give it a try :)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8PpBInBEDM

Number 2 from your original Seasonal post Lee. The colours just scream Autumn. Nice :)
Not feeling the love for the shimmer or first elements shot.
Had to chuckle at the seond elements one though.
Thank you for dropping by and commenting.

Both very inventive Lee but I prefer Elements #2 - clearly the product of an ingenious mind to create the infinity.
Thanks @Carl Ayling but did you spot my mistake in the Drost effect? ;)

Hiya, :wave:

Seasonal: glad you listened to the earlier critique, the re-crop looks much better. Bravo.
Shimmer: is that a neon tetra? I used to have some of those once upon a time. Nice and crisp. bravo again!
Elements 1: I see you've been hard at work! -these things, although done many times are always worth a go to help improve our post processing arn't they? - not a bad effort.
Elements 2: I've always been a sucker for the drost effect. Well done on the catch up. (y)
Thank you for commenting. Yes, they are Neon Tetra's. They practically glow under the tank light.
I didn't know the name of the infinity effect. Now I do - Thank you :)

Hi Lee .Shimmer is on topic but I would prefer just the shimmery fish ...the other one is a bit distracting.

Love the Elements shots, the face one is amazing, I've no idea how to do one like that. I've never heard of the drost effect either ...fascinating stuff....two get submissions for the topic.
Thanks. I find the other fish distracting too. I don't know why I didn't see that at the time I took it. The elements shots were good fun to do.

I like that Lee, I like that a lot (y)

I like that Lee, I like that a lot (y)

What he ^^^^ said :)
What shutter speed did you use, as that's hidden from flickr?

Thank you both :)

The camera settings were 5 seconds at f8. The photo was taken in the dark with a cheap eBay off camera flash. As it is dark, it is the flash duration that sets the exposure duration. With the flash at it's lowest power (1/128), that equates to approximately 1/20000s (twenty thousandth of a second).

I used an eyedropper clipped to a shelf above the glass. I did a few test drops in the semi light of a torch to get the timing right and then turned the lights off. 30 of so shots later, I caught one that I liked.

Back