weekly Leebert's 52 for 2019 COMPLETE! Week 52 - Out take.

That's a nice relaxed & natural shot, it looks as though it sums up the mood well. It suits b&w.
Thank you Mark. It was a really chilled out session.

Hi Lee,
Dull - Does what it says on the tin. Nicely executed.
Snappers Choice - That's a great environmental portrait, caught in the moment, with the tools of their trade dotted about. :)
Many thanks for your kind comments Tim.

Flower
Interesting

Dull
I struggled with dull too.
I like the black and white, it's simple and does convey dull.

Snappers choice
I like it.

FLOWER - The illumination works really well on these flower heads.
DULL - good idea for the theme. A dull day portrayed from within.
SNAPPER's - good portrait shot. Nicely captured.

Looks well chilled out, and a cool shot too Lee.
Many thanks Dave (y)

Flower
Interesting

Dull
I struggled with dull too.
I like the black and white, it's simple and does convey dull.

Snappers choice
I like it.
Thank you Dominic.

FLOWER - The illumination works really well on these flower heads.
DULL - good idea for the theme. A dull day portrayed from within.
SNAPPER's - good portrait shot. Nicely captured.
Thank you Bob. Most kind.

Near
Looks too me, to be a cats claw? If it is, it's very well done.

Song title
Very good, good colours, exposure.

Near - I really like it, but don't know what it is, works well with the light back ground.
Song - that's fantastic, I wish I knew how you did it!

Cat's claw from me as well!
The wine and the glass is fab! Very crisp and sharp.

Near
Looks too me, to be a cats claw? If it is, it's very well done.

Song title
Very good, good colours, exposure.

Cat's claw from me as well!
The wine and the glass is fab! Very crisp and sharp.
You're both spot on! Well done (y)
Thank you very much.

Near - I really like it, but don't know what it is, works well with the light back ground.
Song - that's fantastic, I wish I knew how you did it!
It is a cat's claw Mark.

As for the wine shot (which is really Oasis Summer Berries drink but don't tell anyone!), The wine glass was secured to a bit of wood that is was mounted on a slide from a filing cabinet. That was put into my Workmate at an angle and the camera set up at the same angle. There is a foam backdrop with a flash behind that. I pulled back the slide and let go. A home made flash trigger was used to trigger the flash when the glass got to the stop at the end.

The shot straight out of the camera is below. The home made flash trigger design is in my mini how to do it tutorial here - LINKY.

Red Red Wine-3.jpg

A bit of a catch up from me.
Great images from you these last few weeks Lee.:clap:

Flower: What an amazing image! I love the simplicity and the subtle colours. Very nicely done!
Dull: That's a dull, rainy day alright! Great shot Lee, perfect for the theme...nice drop detail too!
Snappers Choice: Nice candid moment Lee. The expression you've captured is very natural and works very well
Near: This is a great image, and very well taken...great sharpness right where it needs to be...I'll go with the consensus, is it a cat's claw?
Song: Fantastic! Your trigger is working very well, great to see the 'behind the scenes' shot too. Flawless!

Hi Lee,
Near - A cat's claw, well I would never have gotten that. It's interesting to see how macro can make things look completgely different.
Song - Okay, I got that one :) (At least I assume so). Very well done and posting the behind the scenes gives a great insight into your work (y)

Hi Lee

2 good images Love the Red Red Wine shot, The colour is fab.
Thank you for explaining how you did it, heath robinson would have been proud.

Pete

Two cracking images Lee, both bang on and great.
Thank you Dave.

A bit of a catch up from me.
Great images from you these last few weeks Lee.:clap:
Flower: What an amazing image! I love the simplicity and the subtle colours. Very nicely done!
Dull: That's a dull, rainy day alright! Great shot Lee, perfect for the theme...nice drop detail too!
Snappers Choice: Nice candid moment Lee. The expression you've captured is very natural and works very well
Near: This is a great image, and very well taken...great sharpness right where it needs to be...I'll go with the consensus, is it a cat's claw?
Song: Fantastic! Your trigger is working very well, great to see the 'behind the scenes' shot too. Flawless!
Thanks for the catch up Gareth and your very kind words.

Hi Lee,
Near - A cat's claw, well I would never have gotten that. It's interesting to see how macro can make things look completgely different.
Song - Okay, I got that one :) (At least I assume so). Very well done and posting the behind the scenes gives a great insight into your work (y)
Thank you Tim. The song is Red, red wine. Written and recorded by Neil Diamond in 1967. Most know the UB40 version though.

I would have never guess the cat's claw. Sharp and simple composition.
For the Song theme, I thought it was something to do with moving the glass and I wasn't too far away but your setup is far more involved. You've caught the liquid perfectly.
Thank you Stan.

Hi Lee
2 good images Love the Red Red Wine shot, The colour is fab.
Thank you for explaining how you did it, heath robinson would have been proud.
Pete
Many thanks Peter :)

Week 43 - Borrowed.
My wife and I are just back from a lovely short break at Chedworth in The Cotswolds where we 'borrowed' this cottage for a few days.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFHvNc]
Borrowed by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Week 44 - Spooky.
Very much a PABD post this one. A bit too much going on at the moment! This one is of outside a house in Chedworth where everyone seems to get involved in Halloween. It's a very close knit village with, I'm led to believe there are only 829 inhabitants.
Taken on my iPhone and the depth of field artificially reduced using the Focos app.

IMG_4929.JPG

Smashing images Lee!(y)

Borrowed: Looks like a really lovely place to be, and well photographed too...the moggy is a nice catch!!
Spooky: Amazing what mobile phone cameras can do nowadays...that's some jolly decent background blur. Nice, sharp details too and vibrant colours. Well processed.

Smashing images Lee!(y)
Borrowed: Looks like a really lovely place to be, and well photographed too...the moggy is a nice catch!!
Spooky: Amazing what mobile phone cameras can do nowadays...that's some jolly decent background blur. Nice, sharp details too and vibrant colours. Well processed.

Many thanks Gareth - you are too kind. The moggie was a bonus and super friendly too :)

On to Week 45 - Short (circuit).

A macro shot of what 20,000 volts looks like when the wires that the volts are on get a bit too close...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLTfUu]
Week 45 - Short (circuit). by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Another shot a bit further away. I left this one going for a few seconds and things got a bit on the warm side!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLVYec]
Week 45 - Short (circuit). by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

I know you all know but electricity is dangerous! Don't try this at home unless you really know what you are doing (y)

Clever idea Lee, both great I think I prefer the second, for the detail in the wire ends. I might have a go at this...if l can get some local kids to hold the wires.
Thank you Clive. Good luck finding some volunteers!

Here are a couple of others I was considering for Short...

A 0.22 in amongst 0.308s.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLZ6Nz]
Short by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Short (stroke).
Two cylinder liners. One from a 27 litre Merlin engine belonging to TA805 - The Spirit of Kent and the other from a 90 size radio controlled model.
Pound coin for scale. The Spirit of Kent is still airworthy and flies from Biggin Hill. It is quite a rare Spitfire as it is a Mk IX HF model with the HF standing for High altitude Flight. Most Spitfire's of the era were standard low altitude models as they were in much higher demand. The liner is signed by Peter Monk - the current owner.

Merlin engine:
Bore x Stroke: 137mm x 152mm.
Capacity per cylinder: 2250cc.
1700 horse power at 3000 rpm on 100 octane fuel (150 octane on later models).

Model engine:
Bore x Stroke: 22.7mm x 24.8mm.
Capacity per cylinder: Approx. 14cc (single cylinder engine).
3.4 horse power at 15000 rpm on 20% Nitromethane 2 stroke fuel.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLWpkw]
Short (stroke). by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Wow!
Great work Lee!:clap:

The short circuit images are tremendous...I was thinking about doing something similar...but I wondered where I could lay my hands on something that put out 20,000 volts!!
My pick is the first image...terrific macro and the detail in the glowing wire ends is superb.
Beautiful and abstract!

The shell casing image is also excellent as is the cylinder bores image too...those Merlin engines are quite something. Interesting to see.
The depth of field on the shell casings is spot on, and I love the composition too.

Wow!
Great work Lee!:clap:

The short circuit images are tremendous...I was thinking about doing something similar...but I wondered where I could lay my hands on something that put out 20,000 volts!!
My pick is the first image...terrific macro and the detail in the glowing wire ends is superb.
Beautiful and abstract!

The shell casing image is also excellent as is the cylinder bores image too...those Merlin engines are quite something. Interesting to see.
The depth of field on the shell casings is spot on, and I love the composition too.
Many thanks Gareth. The high voltage was generated by a simple NE555 timer as an oscillator driving a medium ish power transistor and then a coil. A little module can be found on flea bay for a few pounds (LINK). It was certainly a very interesting thing to take macro shots of.

Week 46 - Environment.

I found this theme a bit tricky and had me stumped for a while until I saw the cat in her bed. It's her favourite environment and spends a fair bit of time in there!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hPDre2]
Week 46 - Environment. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Week 47 - Far.
An archive shot for this week. This is the precursor to Radar. The sound or acoustic mirrors near Dungeness were built in the late 20s and early 30s to detect the sounds of enemy planes before they could be seen. The curved surface concentrates the sound and an aircraft could be detected between about 8 and 24 miles away. Results could be compared with other mirrors to determine speed height and direction. They were abandoned a few years later as the first practical radar system was trialed in 1935.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hPGcZZ]
Week 47 - Far. by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Hi Lee

Environment, nice for the cat. and for the theme.

Far, very interesting subject, I did not realised they where in Dungeness, mind you its well over 45 years since I have been there.

Pete

Catching up here, all of these images, from Near to far are excellent. A lovely set !

Loving the cat bed Lee, Susie our dog uses one of those and loves it. Far is a cracking shot that is bang on theme and goes nicely in mono.
Thank you Dave. Much appreciated.

Hi Lee

Environment, nice for the cat. and for the theme.

Far, very interesting subject, I did not realised they where in Dungeness, mind you its well over 45 years since I have been there.

Pete
Thank you Peter. The sound mirrors are a bit east of Dungeness in Denge.

Catching up here, all of these images, from Near to far are excellent. A lovely set !
Thank you Jim(y)

Super pair of images Lee!:clap:

The moggy is a perfect fit....looks mighty comfy there!

I really like the early predecessors to radar, very interesting indeed.
Great processing and the composition is spot on!(y)
Thanks very much Gareth. Very kind of you :)

Thanks to all for taking the time to comment. (y)

Great shots, I like the first one best, but all are good :)

^^^^ same here. No1 - great angle!

All good images Lee, but if I had to pick one it would be the one you put in the main thread. Great shot and the angle it`s taken at is bang on.
Thank you Dave. It was a very small pub and I couldn't get far enough away to get the whole band in so just went for close ups and shallow DoF.

Great shots, I like the first one best, but all are good :)
Thanks Rick (y)

^^^^ same here. No1 - great angle!
Thank you very much Dave.

Much prefer the first one as well . Like the second shot better with half the head chopped off but the diagonal thing at the bottom left annoys me!

Back