weekly Mandy's 2018 TP 52 Challenge, Week 26 Elegant added

Synthetic
Although a simple shot, i think it works rather well. I would maybe crop a little off of the bottom, but that's all.

Rural
It looks like it was a nice day for a bike ride.
I like the off center tree, but I'm not sure about the foreground, I know why it's there, it's just a bit untidy, I think you could probably lose it without any detrimental effect to the rest of the photo.

Bright
Quite right, 'what's not to like'. They're bright and colourful.

Synthetic is, IMHO, a really good subject for the theme, I never would have thought of that.
Rural is a good scene for the theme, I wonder if it could be a bit more vibrant?
Brightly coloured skittles is another good idea, nice clear, clean composition

Hi Mandy,

Synthetic - Wouldn't have guessed the gem was grown without you saying, so it kind of doesn't sell the subject.
Very hard to nail focus on something like that too. I feel it's a little back focused (on the ring rather than the gem) maybe?

Rural - Great to hear you're back out and about on 2 wheels again (I must get mine MOTd some time this year!)
Certainly looks rural, good placement of the tree, I like that you've included a lot of sky.

Bright - The pick of the crop for me. Less is more. Plenty of vibrant bright colour, and fun to eat afterwards ;)
:clap:

Synthetic - Great DoF. Love the mottled floor its on. Some sort of stone?

Rural - Could you pull the clouds out a bit more? I think they would add more interest to the sky. But well exposed and I like the heart shaped tree on the right.

Bright - I like this but the crop is a bit funky. If its a square crop I'd like the sweets to be more central. Or if we are going for a more rectangular 5x7 horizontal job then on one of the 3rd's. At the moment I cant seem to make my mind up about which it is closer to. But more importantly, get more purple ones in there. They are the tastiest.

Synthetic
Although a simple shot, i think it works rather well. I would maybe crop a little off of the bottom, but that's all.

Rural
It looks like it was a nice day for a bike ride.
I like the off center tree, but I'm not sure about the foreground, I know why it's there, it's just a bit untidy, I think you could probably lose it without any detrimental effect to the rest of the photo.

Bright
Quite right, 'what's not to like'. They're bright and colourful.

Synthetic is, IMHO, a really good subject for the theme, I never would have thought of that.
Rural is a good scene for the theme, I wonder if it could be a bit more vibrant?
Brightly coloured skittles is another good idea, nice clear, clean composition

Thanks for the comments, I wasn't to sure if i should increase the vibrancy or not so i left it.

Hi Mandy,

Synthetic - Wouldn't have guessed the gem was grown without you saying, so it kind of doesn't sell the subject.
Very hard to nail focus on something like that too. I feel it's a little back focused (on the ring rather than the gem) maybe?

Rural - Great to hear you're back out and about on 2 wheels again (I must get mine MOTd some time this year!)
Certainly looks rural, good placement of the tree, I like that you've included a lot of sky.

Bright - The pick of the crop for me. Less is more. Plenty of vibrant bright colour, and fun to eat afterwards ;)
:clap:

Thanks for taking the time to look .

Synthetic - Great DoF. Love the mottled floor its on. Some sort of stone?

Rural - Could you pull the clouds out a bit more? I think they would add more interest to the sky. But well exposed and I like the heart shaped tree on the right.

Bright - I like this but the crop is a bit funky. If its a square crop I'd like the sweets to be more central. Or if we are going for a more rectangular 5x7 horizontal job then on one of the 3rd's. At the moment I cant seem to make my mind up about which it is closer to. But more importantly, get more purple ones in there. They are the tastiest.

The BG is wall tile sample that I purchased from Wickes ages ago when I worked for them.

I had a reason for picking that crop as i felt it would be a little different from going with the norm, and to remove an unwanted mark out of the frame.

Last edited:
Nice set of shots to catch up Mandy.
Nice idea for synthetic I'd never have of that. The band of the ring appears to be more on focus than the stone but I bet it was difficult to focus on. I like how it looks with the band in focus so it works for me :).
I like your rural shot, the tree being slightly of centre works really well. The colours all compliment each other well. I'm not sure about the long grass in the foreground. I think it would look better if there was for of it but there's nothing you could have done about that.
A well set up shot for bright, very bright and colourful. I like your choice of background, the textures on it really add something to the shot. I'm not sure about the shadow of the glass to the right, I think it would have looked better if it was darker but that's me being picky :)

After a busy week with work, I am now on a weeks holiday, so I am able to catch up on things I enjoy. Thats when I am not melting in the heat that is, I went for a lovely drive out in the car today and found myself at Tintern abbey in search of weeks 26 and 27's images further info on tintern abbey can be found here. I have been to Tintern several times in the past but never actually gone inside the abbey, but today I did. I found a lovely looking statue which became the subject for the theme. My reason for choosing the statue as to me the woman is holding a small child, and to me the way the child is positioned in her arms looks elegant to me. Was a lovely few hours out in the afternoon, even if it was just a bit hot for me.

" Elegant " looking statue

Elegant (2) by Mandy Miles, on Flickr

Last edited:
Derelict
You've done well with this, obviously the light was harsh, but it's well exposed, a good composition and good dof. Without trying to sound patronising, well done.

Derelict - Nice one with the exposure as said above. Nicely composed and a cool contrast between the blue sky and the greens in the trees and grass. I say this in a nice way - It is a shot I would expect on a nice souvenir postcard.

Derelict - looks nice from what I can see. 640px is hard work on this 27" 5k monitor!

Hi Mandy

Synthetic
Simple plain image, not sure if B&W works as the tones are all very close together.

Rural
Nice rural scene, good use of foreground and middle ground to give depth to the image.

Bright
Nice highlights on the sweets, maybe crop a lot closer.

Elegant
Can't argue with your logic for elegant. Nice seperation between the statue and the wall, plenty of detail.

Derelict
Image on theme, perhaps a closer crop would work well, somewhere along the dark wall on the left end of the main building.

Pete

Hi Mandy, you've posted some good images since my last visit!

Synthetic is an excellent take on the theme and not one I had thought of. Nicely composed and you have controlled the highlights well.
Rural - spot on, a lovely countryside theme with fresh greens and a super sky.
Bright - another good idea, a riot of bright colours, and tasty to dispose of the props afterwards :D
Elegant - not keen on the frame but it suits the theme well
Derelict - warm light, good details and textures, perfect upright too - nicely done (y)

Elegant, well taken shot of a elegant statue, fits the theme very well.

Derelict. Another shot that looks really excellent on Flickr, very well composed and like the detail in the brickwork.

Hi Mandy,

Elegant - Oh, looking at this I thought you were inside, hence being a bit dark, but looking at Derelict, I doubt there was a roof ;) I tend to agree with the other comments and wonder if the exposure could be lifted a bit, but cool find for the theme, and considering the condition of the abbey, in remarkably good condition.

Derelict - Liking the composition and that you've captured the abbey without any of those damn photo taking tourists in it ;)
Exposure is spot on and plenty of detail, especially when zoomed in on flickr. (y)

Back