weekly Manxmaid's 52 for 2017 - Week 51 & 52 Festive & Weather added (and COMPLETE!)

I think you've caught it well Andrea in difficult lighting. That's the trouble with all that sunshine;) The grey building roof parallel to that spar intrudes for me but I'm being picky:D

Bit of a shame the way the building in the background his placed but a good find for the theme and the processing looks fine to me.

Bend - frame filling and impressive, I'd take it in 1st gear at about 5mph.

Wooden - processing looks fine to me - reflections in the wood add interest.

What a stunning idea, a perfect example of a tall ship built in wood.(y)

Thanks, Shirley, it really was a sight in the harbour and great to take a trip on board with so much lovely wood in use.

Learning the new camera is great fun, and I think you are doing a damn good job. Wood is a very well taken photo and think you did a good job, nice sky sets the old ship off very well indeed and I hope you are enjoying the camera too :)

Thanks, David. Definitely enjoying the lighter weight on my shoulder and so far it seems to be handling everything I've thrown at it :)

I think you've caught it well Andrea in difficult lighting. That's the trouble with all that sunshine;) The grey building roof parallel to that spar intrudes for me but I'm being picky:D

You've got it, John, far too much damn sunshine! :) I must confess I didn't really notice the old city wall on the right when processing as I was trying to bring out some detail in the shadow at the front of the ship but now of course I can't miss it! I've looked at my other images but the ship was backing out of a tiny old port and the wall is there is every shot, with no option to avoid it.

That's a perfect choice for the theme Andrea, it's a beauty. The building is a bit of a distraction, but the ship is magnificent enough to draw your attention.

Thanks, Susie, it certainly drew my attention as I didn't really notice the old wall at the time, but now of course I can't miss it. It's still my best option for the theme though so I'll live with it :)

Bit of a shame the way the building in the background his placed but a good find for the theme and the processing looks fine to me.

Thanks, Chris, I couldn't have placed that building better if I'd have tried! :banghead: Thanks for the words about the processing too; it looks 'OK' on my laptop and phone but you never know.

Bend - frame filling and impressive, I'd take it in 1st gear at about 5mph.

Wooden - processing looks fine to me - reflections in the wood add interest.

Thanks, David, you're right about the hairpin, it's approached with great care, even by the bikers in race week! Glad you think Wooden looks fine :)

Yes, difficult light conditions but good result.

Thanks, David :)

I am on hols and struggling at the moment with very slow and intermittent internet access so probably won't be able to get around everyone's threads again until the end next week, but I will catch up asap. :cool:

"arch" great piece of architecture I prefer the second one showing more of the ceiling
"bend" very good the markings on the Roa d really emphasise the bend, and a nice conversion to B+W
"wooden" works for me processing looks fine, the building maybe a slight distraction but thats a small point

Hi Andrea,

Bent - I thought I recognized the corner, it's one of 'those' ones you see a lot of if you watch the TT (on tv).
Nicely captured, it illustrates the change in elevation and the challenge it presents.
Like that a lot :clap:

Wood - Lovely shot. Sharp, plenty of detail and some lovely colours in both the wood and the water and looming large in the frame.
(y)

Bent
Bent/bend, that's a really good view of this well known corner. Looks good in black and white.

Wood
That's a lovely ship, great colours and good exposure.

Im with Chris on this, the boats gorgous and the building sadly detracts from that.
Lovely shot otherwise tho !

What a magnificent ship, wonderful detail in the woodwork.

Cheers.

What a cracking ship that is for wood Andrea, I really like the rigging that stands out against the blue sky :)

Thanks chaps, it was a great sight.

"arch" great piece of architecture I prefer the second one showing more of the ceiling
"bend" very good the markings on the Roa d really emphasise the bend, and a nice conversion to B+W
"wooden" works for me processing looks fine, the building maybe a slight distraction but thats a small point

Thanks for the catch-up, Allan. On reflection I think I agree about the roof in the second shot, although the beams still look like they're at an odd angle

Hi Andrea,

Bent - I thought I recognized the corner, it's one of 'those' ones you see a lot of if you watch the TT (on tv).
Nicely captured, it illustrates the change in elevation and the challenge it presents.
Like that a lot :clap:

Wood - Lovely shot. Sharp, plenty of detail and some lovely colours in both the wood and the water and looming large in the frame.
(y)

Thanks for the catch-up, Tim, and I'm glad Bend works for the same reasons I chose it (y)

Bent
Bent/bend, that's a really good view of this well known corner. Looks good in black and white.

Wood
That's a lovely ship, great colours and good exposure.

Thanks, Dominic (y)

Im with Chris on this, the boats gorgous and the building sadly detracts from that.
Lovely shot otherwise tho !

Thanks Mark, I wish there was another angle but in such a small harbour there is only the one little jetty and the old buildings were *right there* :banghead:

Week 41 - Walled

41 Walled by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Very belatedly, as this was taken in the week of the theme but while I was away on holiday with little internet, here's my next image.

It's the very much-photographed Bridge of Sighs in Venice but I choose this angle to include the rear wall of the Doge's Palace as well as the bridge, which is itself enclosed with limestone walls. I waited until a few gondolas were passing along the Rio di Palazzo under the bridge, which connects the 'New Prison' to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace. As the bridge and much of the wall are pale stone I opted for black & white to bring out more of the textures.

Last edited:
I love the B&W treatment Andrea. It certainly brings out the shapes of the architecture. I don't feel at all sorry for you having little internet access you know:D

Nice B+W conversion it looks like its bowing in a bit, obviously the lens distortion maybe take a bit off the LHS, otherwise very good indeed

I love the B&W treatment Andrea. It certainly brings out the shapes of the architecture. I don't feel at all sorry for you having little internet access you know:D

Thanks, John :) It was a lovely trip and I took lots of photos but there's lots of sorting and processing now!

Nice B+W conversion it looks like its bowing in a bit, obviously the lens distortion maybe take a bit off the LHS, otherwise very good indeed

Thanks, Allan, I did do some correction but not completely happy with it as the wall seemed to start curving the opposite way :) I'm forcing myself to use the latest versions of PS and LR after using my old version for years so I'm not up to speed yet and think I need to have another go at this. Thank you for the feedback (y)

Great b&w of the wall theme, nice that you got the folk in shot too.

Thanks, Dave, the version with the gondolas definitely worked much better than one without.

42 - Symmetrical

42 Symmetrical by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

A confession: although it was taken on the day the theme was published, this image was taken a couple of hours earlier. However, I did take this view and angle to capture the symmetry of the design so I think I can get away with this one :D

I know the people aren't symmetrical and I couldn't lose the building peeping up on the left, but I liked the rising path, the railings and the shape of the iron arches over this 201-year-old bridge. Monochrome was the choice this time due to the grey overcast sky, which turned almost black soon afterwards.

... slightly unusual angle, I like the unusual, but now wondering if you did it to make the scaffolding less prominent! ;) Good gondola action.

201 year old bridge, gosh it doesn't look it. Nice find, even if it was by accident. ;)

Walled - I guessed Venice and I suppose I should have guessed the bridge of sighs, but having never seen it or consciously looked at images of it, it's nice to have it presented in your thread :)
Works well in B&W. Allan is right, there may be a bit of distortion that could e dealt with.
Good plan to get the gondoliers in the shot like that, it gives it that human touch.

Symmetrical - Nice find for the theme. Is it me, but the lights don't quite seem to line up. Sorry.
Was this Venice too? Or somewhere closer to your home?

Good choice for symmetrical, goes well in mono and think the people add to it too :)

Thanks, Dave, I usually try to avoid people :) but it was the middle of Dublin with crowds everywhere so I had no choice this time. Happily, I think they do add something this time ;)

Two super photos there Andrea, I'm particularly liking the choice of the black and white it suits them both really well.

Thanks, Susie, I'm glad you think so too, although the grey sky in the second one made that decision for me :)

... slightly unusual angle, I like the unusual, but now wondering if you did it to make the scaffolding less prominent! ;) Good gondola action.

201 year old bridge, gosh it doesn't look it. Nice find, even if it was by accident. ;)

Thanks, David. I took a few of the Bridge of Sighs from all sides, but really did prefer this one as it included the details and textures of the rear wall of the palace too. Yes, the Ha'penny Bridge did look in good nick. I didn't realise it was that old until I read about it back home.

Walled - I guessed Venice and I suppose I should have guessed the bridge of sighs, but having never seen it or consciously looked at images of it, it's nice to have it presented in your thread :)
Works well in B&W. Allan is right, there may be a bit of distortion that could e dealt with.
Good plan to get the gondoliers in the shot like that, it gives it that human touch.

Symmetrical - Nice find for the theme. Is it me, but the lights don't quite seem to line up. Sorry.
Was this Venice too? Or somewhere closer to your home?

Yes I must spend some quality time with PS and LR this winter to get used to the latest versions and lens correction. The second image is the Ha'penny Bridge in Dublin; I stood in the centre line of the bridge to take it and noticed afterwards that the lights didn't look right, but looking at the full size version it's one of the lights that isn't in line with the other two. Presumably they have been repaired or distorted over the last 200 years! :)

Last edited:
43 Worn

43 Worn
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

I do dislike this time of year, when the skies are almost uniformly grey and a glimpse of blue sky is something to be commented on. Probably made worse by having returned from a holiday where there was sunshine and warmth and lots of blue skies! :grumpy:

So I found myself down among the fallen leaves to try to capture this 14th century packhorse bridge under bare trees and trying to exclude as much as possible of the overcast cloudy sky. I'm not sure I chose the right angle or depth of field, but I'm sure you get the idea of this very old stone bridge with well-worn cobbles and stones. It was built in 1350 by monks from the local abbey so they could reach their farmland, and it is said to to be the best example of medieval bridge in the British Isles. It is used these days by walkers, dogs and cyclists.

Edit: looking at it again, I may use my Re-shoot for this and try again as I'm not happy with it :banghead:

Last edited:
Symmetrical
That's looks pretty symmetrical to me. Well spotted.

Worn
I think a small adjustment in curves may help, but the blown highlights are a little to strong.
I do like the low pov.

Yes the FG leaves make for good compo but don't emphasize any of the wornness.

Symmetrical
That's looks pretty symmetrical to me. Well spotted.

Worn
I think a small adjustment in curves may help, but the blown highlights are a little to strong.
I do like the low pov.

Thanks, Dom. Totally agree on the second image and I wish I hadn't posted it as it was so disappointing. I tried tinkering with it afterwards but the light just isn't there.

Worn is a nice shot, but do agree with Dominic though it does look old and worn.

Oooo a cobbled footbridge, a cracking idea for the theme :D - love the low point of view and the foreground covered in leaves :)

Yes the FG leaves make for good compo but don't emphasize any of the wornness.

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys; it's definitely my worst image of the year so far and I wish I hadn't posted it. I think it was just me feeling pressure to make inroads into my post-holiday catch-up, and definitely down about the grey, grotty weather. :grumpy:

It's been a better day today and I'm hoping I have the images to get completely up-to-date again

Week 44 - Colourful

44 Colourful

The light was marginally better today and in overcast November I think I'd struggle to find many things more colourful than a stack of fish boxes. They were on the quayside at my local harbour and originate from all over the British Isles - and indeed the brightest one at the front is from France.

I tried a few angles, including the 'library book' look from one side, but as I used that in a previous 52 (link below) and because the most striking colour was the green at the front I chose this one. I have cropped closely as the rest of the scene was messy and distracting but hopefully left enough to give the subject some context.

I think I got my Height and my re-shoot images today too, but as I'm out tonight they will be posted tomorrow. Hopefully before Cobra draws the next theme :)

(Vertical, from my 2015 attempt)
17311712242_787e712d62_n.jpg
[/url]
09 Vertical by Andrea Thrussell, on Flick

Last edited:
I like the close crop and the angle is good giving a nice clean line to the top of the boxes, and they are certainly colourful.

Nice idea for the theme

Nice prop re-use Andrea ;)
I think a good choice to take it at an angle this time, it exposes us to more of the colour.
It's also interesting to allow the background to set the scene.

Thanks, Tim, the green one certainly stood out brightly against the rest. I was struggling to think of 'colourful' things at this time of year but luckily I remembered the fish boxes from a couple of years ago and found some there!

I like the close crop and the angle is good giving a nice clean line to the top of the boxes, and they are certainly colourful.

Thanks, Chris, the line along the top was more accidental than planned but seems to work well :)

Hmmmm tough choice... I think I prefer the 1st 'Angled' one Andrea, I think it is the nice bright green one that lifts the image despite the busier background - colourful indeed (y)

Thanks Dean, the one from two years ago was ideal for 'vertical' but this angle showed off more of that striking bright green one. The French clearly go for the brighter colours!

Nice idea for the theme

Thanks, Tilly.

Last edited:
Week 45 - Height

45 Height

Just a few yards from the fish boxes this ladder on the side of the harbour wall caught my eye with its bright colours, I was originally wondering if the small lighthouse at the end of the harbour would give a suitable angle to show its height, but then I realised that looking down could convey a sense of height as well as looking up.

I know the angles and verticals on this aren't spot on for the OCD viewers, but I was struggling to keep my feet out of the frame while leaning over as far as possible and not losing my balance! It's quite a drop down into the sea from there and I didn't fancy a November dip! Hopefully the sea in the top of the frame and the rungs of the top half of the ladder convey a sense of height, while the bright orange paint is a warning of the danger.

Last edited:
Back