weekly Mat0tam's 2015 - 52 Challenge - FASHION Added

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all.

First year at this! Will keep this posted updated which which weeks i've done!
Started on week 30 - TEAR but will back date if I see a worthy shot!
Week 30 : Tear

20277264000_9dde9a2673_b_d.jpg

20277265720_629ce5ab85_b_d.jpg

Minor cheat posting two ;).

Back dated post.

Week 27: Medical

Lots of medical scarecrows around west Cumbria in protest to the closing of the local Hospital.

20168039989_5b66b37e2b_b_d.jpg

Week 31 was Words - First phoots taken with my new Zoom lens. Got upclose and personal with a canvas hanging on my wall. Its of a world map - Hence 'Orbis'.

20439148926_766d12e287_b_d.jpg

Hi Matthew. Welcome to the forum - great start.
Tear: Those guys are really useful. The image could almost double for Medical too as they seem to be rendering First Aid. Prefer the colour version for the added clarity of detail. DoF is good.
Medical: Nicely themed and very topical. Has an uncanny resemblance to my locum ... facially at least. A bit lost against the dark bg, especially the right hand so maybe a shallower DoF or colour ?!?!
Words: Like the olde worlde impression and the pano crop.

PS: Don't think these have been posted on the main "TP52 for 2015 ..." page - https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...your-photographs-here-but-no-comments.569924/

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers Carl.

I feel WORDS was a little lack luster but il add extra effort to this weeks!

Have added the images to the linked thread.

Welcome to the 52 Matthew

A good start, but although I do also really like the words, I'd prefer to see whole letters rather than clipped at both ends - so I'm picking/liking the colour tear pic of the three as my pic of the opening bunch, a nice fun shot, bang on theme and well set up (y)

Hi Matthew ...and welcome.

Words look a bit lost on my PC and I can't enlarge the image to have a good look.
Medical... I like the use of B&W I think it emphasizes the reason for him being there, great for the theme.
Colour Tear pic is a great fun shot ...excellent idea to add in the figures to give it some action.

Looking forward to following your thread ....good luck.

Hi Matthew. #1 for me - great indoor shot of a happy event, light, airy, colourful. Everything spot on with the others too and quite like the simplicity of #2 and natural framing in #3. All good. :clap:

Thanks Carl, Appreciate the comments. Was happy with the outcome as they were pretty quick snaps. #1 was taken whilst following the wedding party out, if id had more time I would of waited until the man had moved.

Ok I'm a huge fan of these three shots. Although they are an obvious choice but to me there is no more beautiful architecture than that or religious institutions. I'm not religious but you can't ignore the craftsman ship and creativity that has been applied to the structures. I also really like how you've made the first two shots feel light and warm.

Hi Matthew ...super indoor shot, composition looks just right, good that you caught a wedding, the flowers add that extra touch. The second one I'd be tempted to clone out that bit on the bottom right, but I really like the simplicity of that one. The last one ....smashing light on the church in the dark frame, all excellent for the topic.

I'll keep up to date from now on but time is against me....

Religion, I like churches and photographing them. Of the set it's #3 for me, bit off the bottom, maybe.

Cheers.

Thanks @Lauraloo83 - shots 1 and 2 were helped by the church having huge stain glass windows letting all the light in!

@susiejb - Great advice on the cloning; would make the shot better i think.

@posiview - Thanks Andy. I agree maybe taking 1/4th of the foreground away would centralise the church.

I thought no 1 was a "tasteful" example of HDR, you did a great job to get the exposure perfectly on that!

#3 the scene would work on it's own, but having the wedding party at the door tells the story and make this a realLy special. Bravo!

Hi Matthew I saw your support shot on the main thread but it's not here o_O anyway I thought it was a brilliant find for the theme, absolutely spot on.

That's an interesting one for Geometric, perfectly suited to the b&w, but I would have to nip that bit off at the top.

Thanks Susie, have added "support" to the thread again.
Saw it and though ooo thats a nice resting position watching over the fells.
Then realised it matched the theme!

Appreciate the CC on the window shot. I agree with the crop.

Last edited:
Hi Matthew.
Support: What a fabulous find! nice "gritty" shot which that suits the b&w treatment. :clap:
Geometric: As above really/ I like the dereliction and decay. I particularly like the way that the irregularity of the smashed panes contrasts with the stark geometry of the window panes.

Hi, support, well spotted. I'd like it a little closer but the gritty processing works well.

Religion #1 for me, looks a little soft and I always prefer symmetry in such photographs.

Geometry, works for me, especially with the inclusion of the broken glass.

Cheers.

Hi Matthew. Both good but #2 for me because of colour and composition. :clap:

Definitely #2 for me. In #1 I find the guy just coming into shot a little distracting as the reflection in the window kind of draws me to him.

Hi Matthew. Both good but #2 for me because of colour and composition. :clap:

Definitely #2 for me. In #1 I find the guy just coming into shot a little distracting as the reflection in the window kind of draws me to him.

Thanks guys. I tried to PP #2 into a B&W with just the vibrant colors left but it didnt work too well.

As for #1 I agree about the reflection, should of cropped his body out at least. I was walking through town thinking about the FASHION topic and looked up to see the shop infront of me.

Hi Mathew, sorry for not popping in sooner, quite like the broken window shot for geometric very well spotted

Fashion, I agree with susie above about cropping to just the shop again nice spot on such an unfashionable shop

Hi Matthew ... I thought I'd commented on some of yours already but no.

Tear ... a bit of fun ... I prefer the colour.
Medical ... great fun, thanks for sharing.
Words ... is just great, but more context is needed.
Support ... more wackiness, but not sure B&W helps.
Religion ... I like all those. Things Religion make good subjects.
Fashion ... street I like and it includes the Fashion word ...
Fashion #2 ... I don't know how you pulled this off but mannequins in shops and challenging to the extreme. This looks good.

Back