weekly mdpF2's 52 2019

Free week
Good colour, a nice rich red.
I would try flipping the image, so that the bottom right becomes the bottom left. That group of petals in the bottom right hand corner would make a good lead in, to take the viewers eye through the photo. I hope that makes sense.

Free week
Good colour, a nice rich red.
I would try flipping the image, so that the bottom right becomes the bottom left. That group of petals in the bottom right hand corner would make a good lead in, to take the viewers eye through the photo. I hope that makes sense.

Good point, I see what you mean... thanks

Lovely lighting and detail. An excellent shot. Although personally I would have straightened it!

Lovely lighting and detail. An excellent shot. Although personally I would have straightened it!
Thanks, and yes you're right about straitening it! Believe it or not I did straighten the right hand side, which didn't help the left... as soon as I uploaded it I realised it didn't look right

I agree it does need a straighten a slight anti clockwise turn should do it

Yep - straighten it and it's a goodun ;)

Welcome to the 52 just had a look at all your images. You’ve made a great start and have some lovely images here. It will sure be interesting to see what you come up with in forthcoming weeks.
Rough: Two very good images , both bang on theme. Would not be able to choose between them. The pine cone has great use of DoF and the focus is spot on. The lighting has enhanced the colours well. Like the mono conversion of the brickwork and the amount of detail is superb.

Wet: Both images are nice, I would probably veer towards the cropped image as the leaves and droplets really stand out. Water drops are nice and sharp.

Object: what’s not to like about your choice of subject. Surprised there weren’t a lot more camera images for this theme.

Waiting: lovely colours in the sunset sky.

Free: lovely red rose

Entrance: a good choice of subject. Good use of lead in line, takes you nicely into the light. Looking on my IPad and if I am holding Impad up the image is fine as it is, but if I hold it flat it does give the appearance that maybe you need to straighten a little. Strange. Personally I think it is fine as it is.

Hi Mark,

Wet - A lovely study of water droplets. A good choice to not go too shallow on DoF.
New - Okay, nice colours, but feels a bit unbalanced. A different position that allowed the rhs flower be further into teh shot would be better (if that's possible).
Clean - Interesting, is it some kind of man made watercourse, or is it flood water running down some shallow steps.
The low perspective really makes it.
Waiting - Not really my thing, landscapes, but as others have said, nice colours. I *think* that typically you would focus further into the scene though, to have more in relatively sharp focus. Hyperfocus I think they call it.
Open - I was going to comment on it being a bit dark, but then read you were going for an atmospheric shot, in which case the exposure works well for it. Good subject matter in the book too :)
Free Week - Lovely reds. Critique from me would be that I would have preferred the focus point on the middle of the flower, not bottom right. But your choice on that really.
Entrance - I'm with Stan, it doesn't need straightening, the horizontals are caused by perspective.
Great golden colours caught there :)

ETA...
Rough - A different take on the normal rough brickwork shot. Using the corner adds to it, as does going mono. (y)
Object - Would it be possible to get a deeper DoF on this shot? I'd like more in focus (you might have to focus stack though (which I've always failed at)).

Last edited:
Fantastic image Mark!
Love the warm, richness of the colours and the bright light at the end draws ones eye in nicely.
I do like a nice vaulted ceiling
Likewise, as Tim and Stan have said, I too don't think it needs straightening....both pillars are pretty close to vertical.
Nice work Mark.(y)

A very grand Entrance and well done to balance the exposure too. I don't agree with any straightening is required, the vertical line on the left is more or less spot on. I think the view angle from slightly one side gives the impression that the bottom steps are wonky!
Welcome to the 52 just had a look at all your images. You’ve made a great start and have some lovely images here. It will sure be interesting to see what you come up with in forthcoming weeks.
Rough: Two very good images , both bang on theme. Would not be able to choose between them. The pine cone has great use of DoF and the focus is spot on. The lighting has enhanced the colours well. Like the mono conversion of the brickwork and the amount of detail is superb.

Wet: Both images are nice, I would probably veer towards the cropped image as the leaves and droplets really stand out. Water drops are nice and sharp.

Object: what’s not to like about your choice of subject. Surprised there weren’t a lot more camera images for this theme.

Waiting: lovely colours in the sunset sky.

Free: lovely red rose

Entrance: a good choice of subject. Good use of lead in line, takes you nicely into the light. Looking on my IPad and if I am holding Impad up the image is fine as it is, but if I hold it flat it does give the appearance that maybe you need to straighten a little. Strange. Personally I think it is fine as it is.
Hi Mark,

Wet - A lovely study of water droplets. A good choice to not go too shallow on DoF.
New - Okay, nice colours, but feels a bit unbalanced. A different position that allowed the rhs flower be further into teh shot would be better (if that's possible).
Clean - Interesting, is it some kind of man made watercourse, or is it flood water running down some shallow steps.
The low perspective really makes it.
Waiting - Not really my thing, landscapes, but as others have said, nice colours. I *think* that typically you would focus further into the scene though, to have more in relatively sharp focus. Hyperfocus I think they call it.
Open - I was going to comment on it being a bit dark, but then read you were going for an atmospheric shot, in which case the exposure works well for it. Good subject matter in the book too :)
Free Week - Lovely reds. Critique from me would be that I would have preferred the focus point on the middle of the flower, not bottom right. But your choice on that really.
Entrance - I'm with Stan, it doesn't need straightening, the horizontals are caused by perspective.
Great golden colours caught there :)

ETA...
Rough - A different take on the normal rough brickwork shot. Using the corner adds to it, as does going mono. (y)
Object - Would it be possible to get a deeper DoF on this shot? I'd like more in focus (you might have to focus stack though (which I've always failed at)).
Fantastic image Mark!
Love the warm, richness of the colours and the bright light at the end draws ones eye in nicely.
I do like a nice vaulted ceiling
Likewise, as Tim and Stan have said, I too don't think it needs straightening....both pillars are pretty close to vertical.
Nice work Mark.(y)

Many thanks for all the feedback, all taken on board.
I've just realised I haven't done week 4, so one more!

That fits the theme perfectly, what an entrance. I don't think it needs straightening, I reckon the perspective of the front step makes it look on the wonk when it's actually not. Lovely warm colours and lots of detail. Well done

Distant. Good shot. Like how the gap leads you nicely to the distant church.

Nice entrance. Lovely vivid colours to it. And yes, i'd have preferred it straightened too ;)

And ENTRANCE … straighter or not, still a class image with good perspective showing multiple entrances/exits...
Distant. Good shot. Like how the gap leads you nicely to the distant church.
Nice entrance. Lovely vivid colours to it. And yes, i'd have preferred it straightened too ;)
Thanks again for the feedback, appreciated. I must admit though, I'm now completely confused on the ENTRANCE, perspective or wonky!

Well done on catching up completely Mark.(y)
Distant: lovely country landscape! I love your use of DoF and the use of natural framing is spot on.
It really leads your eye into the image to find that splendid church.
Young: Blimey! You really can't go wrong with an image like that! Super adorable and great technique, with expert use of DoF for separation! Colours are simply stunning!
A very well taken image!

Good to see you back up to date with a couple of crackers. I really like the lamb one. You have captured its expression really well with a simple background to keep the eyes fixed on the subject.

Awwwww likkle lamby :)

"MINT SAUCE!!!"

Nice pic :)

Well done on catching up completely Mark.(y)
Distant: lovely country landscape! I love your use of DoF and the use of natural framing is spot on.
It really leads your eye into the image to find that splendid church.
Young: Blimey! You really can't go wrong with an image like that! Super adorable and great technique, with expert use of DoF for separation! Colours are simply stunning!
A very well taken image!
Good to see you back up to date with a couple of crackers. I really like the lamb one. You have captured its expression really well with a simple background to keep the eyes fixed on the subject.
Awwwww likkle lamby :)

"MINT SAUCE!!!"

Nice pic :)
Young is a great image Mark, a lovely young lamb and a great BG to really set it up well.
Thanks for the comments, always appreciated. I quite liked the lamb chop photo, although it doesn't look as sharp as on my PC...

Young - lovely shot, great use of bokeh and a fantastic subject.

Entrance really like the night shot makes the colours nice and warm.
and Young the lamb is great lovely detail.

I was so close to doing exactly that shot for young - very nicely done. Great colour ad detail

Young
Lovely photo. I've been waiting for the lambs to be popped out at home, so i could get something similar to you, but the ewes are quite happy munching grass and don't look like they they're going to be popping anything out yet.

Young - lovely shot, great use of bokeh and a fantastic subject.
Entrance really like the night shot makes the colours nice and warm.
and Young the lamb is great lovely detail.
Fantastic shot of the young lamb. DOF makes it stand out perfectly. :clap::clap:
I was so close to doing exactly that shot for young - very nicely done. Great colour ad detail
Young
Lovely photo. I've been waiting for the lambs to be popped out at home, so i could get something similar to you, but the ewes are quite happy munching grass and don't look like they they're going to be popping anything out yet.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. The lambs were quite inquisitive and just walked towards me, so it made it quite easy to get a few pictures!

Catching up on comments. I like your Entrance - yes a tweak needed but very good composition and the warmth of light is lovely. Young is also a very nice subject well composed and exposed.

Nice Dobbin chompin :)

Back