weekly meaks 52 for 2015 - Week 29 - Pale

A shot taken on the weekend of some 1940's era performers at Southsea.
Difficult to get something that worked from this as I tried numerous angles to try and get the audience and performers in but nothing really worked due to the random way the audience were positioned in the background. In the end I settled for this shot focusing on the central singer using a shallow depth of field to blur the background.

Week 23 - Entertain
by meaker_5360, on Flickr

I like it Chris - sharp where it matters and it's got colour and gives a sense of the atmosphere and enjoyment.

They certainly look like they are having fun entertaining the crowd. I like the OOF bg and you've caught some real energy in the shot too Chris :clap::clap:

limit - I prefer the 1st one, I think it's the position which I prefer
bizarre - has to be the loo lol, well spotted :D
good interpretation of broken and I love the selective colour :clap:

entertain - spot on and I think the DoF works very well :banana:

A bit of a catch up again due to struggling to find something suitable for interpreting my "Spiral" ideas and then being away on holiday for the week.

For Spiral, I end up settling on this underside view of a galvanised steel spiral staircase. I have changed it to a black and white image so as to reduce the effect of the bright brown wooden roof above it.

Week 24 - Spiral

Silhouette is a picture of a Gas Lamp in Disneyland, Paris. The image has been desaturated a bit so as to take the blueness out of the sky but to just leave enough of the yellow in the flame.

Week 25 - Sillouhette

For animal a tiny bit of a cheat first, as I took this picture earlier last week before the theme was announced but felt that it is unusual to get a picture of a zoo animal actually doing something. Unfortunately the wiremesh is partly visible but that is unavoidable in a lot of zoos.
The tiger is a Siberian Tiger and was taken at Le Parc des Felines it actually got very excited when one of the keepers rode past on a bike and chased her for the length of its enclosure. A highly recommended zoo with the large cats having very large enclosures that resembled the type of environment they would live in.

Week 26 - Animal-1

Last edited:
A second animal shot taken of the male swan at our campsite. He was just as nasty whether you had food for him or not. The only cheat with this shot was I had a bench between me and him, as it was the only way I would have attempted this type of shot.

Week 26 - Animal-2

And a third animal shot which I couldn't resist, of our two new kittens who arrived in the house today. It was supposed to have been one, but the white kitten's potential owners pulled out. So the wife had both of them.

Week 26 - Animal-3

Last edited:
Hi Chris. A nice catch-up.

Spiral: Nice image although could do with a little boost to the contrast
Silhouette: Cracking image - like the flames
Animals 1-3: All good for the theme of course. Like the action shot of the pouncing tiger but my fave has to be the manic duck - lovely close-up of an open beak.

Hi Chris.
Animals 1 - As you say, a great action shot. To my eyes, it looks a bit over processed. as if it's had the shadows lightened, and highlights darkened too much.
Animals 2 - Very scary. I think I would have had that as my main challenge shot. It's a shame that the teeth (?) aren't all in focus, but you're a braver man than me getting that shot, it's not as if you could ask the swan to pose a second time, or wait while you check the focus ;)
Animals 3 - it may be just the way the forum displays it, but are they both a bit soft? Very Cute though, and this will be the one that gets you the most hits on flickr

Tim

spiral - love this one, I was hoping for some stairs and your conversion really suits it
silhouette - lovely shot with the touch of colour
animal - I like the swan best - they are scary lol

Better late than never. Oops wrong topic, that's the next image!!

Well after playing around with different angles, different flash configuration and different depth of field this was the image I preferred best fromthe selection I took. I found using using the shallower depth of field added more impact. Just a shame there was no red coloured tablet around.

Week 27 - Medicine

Hi Chris. It's a cracker - worth the effort. Nicely sharp at the focus point and love the drop off into the bg.

Better Late than Never!!!

Week 28 - Proverb-1

"Don't Put all your Eggs in one Basket"
First up a bit of a straight shot done for a bit of fun on the kitchen table.

Week 28 - Proverb-2

"Don't count your chickens before they hatch"
Couldn't resist doing this one at the same time seeing as I had loads of eggs available after doing the first shot

Week 29 - Pale

What I would describe as a Marimite shot, some will like it, some won't. While I have no doubt others will want more detail in the statue, while others will probably want less. It was done by taking a photo of the white statue against a white background and then adjusting the levels. This was then overlayed with a cream coloured layer and then blended together.

Hi Chris.

Proverb: Both good images, nicely lit and detailed but slightly prefer #1 for it's simplicity.

Pale: I like it - blends into the bg so well that the edges of the subject are barely discernible. Subtle. :clap:

Very nice, except I think the white balance is off, looks a bit green? should be easy to fix. (y)

Hi there Chris,

Animals: I like all of them but the Swan stands out. You're a braver man than I!
Medicine: I like the DoF. It gives the impression that they go on and on.
Proverb: I like both but I agree with Sue - the first one is more pleasing but the second has it for the thinking behind it.
Pale: I really like what you have done here but the cream layer isn't working for me. I'd like to see it as a mono.

Hi, Chris, quick catch up

Spiral, great POV and I like the processing.
Animal #2 is great, mean little buggers :)
Medicine, nice shallow DOF, looks a tad under exposed.
Proverbs, I like #1 but would prefer just the one basket
Pale, white on whit isn't easy, but you've done a decent job here

Cheers.

Back