weekly meaks 52 for 2015 - Week 29 - Pale

Sound, that's a wonderful lighthouse. I like the processing and composition. Any slightly wider so I can see the whole lighthouse?

Cheers.

fog horn yay reminds me of the one at Roker, lovely deep sound :clap:

Bit of a challenge this week and took some thinking about what to do for this topic so in the end ended up with something nice and simple.
A nice simple experiment that can be done at home with a glass of blue water and a glass of yellow water and two pieces of kitchen roll. The result of which is a 2/3 full glass of green water.

Week 16 - Experiment
by meaker_5360, on Flickr

Clever idea Chris and far more successful than my idea of trying to turn a white flower pink with coloured water :clap:

Proper science on display here and well documented. Another shot with good colour rendering and nice and sharp around the rim of the glasses. The tight crop works well to illustrate the subject and I like how the little light bulb went of in my head saying "oh yes... blue+yellow=green." That gives it interest too.

Clever stuff, well executed.

Oh I wish I'd thought of this....I remember doing it at school!

Genuine Experiment ... lots of rich colour, tight in the frame. :clap:

Hi Chris

great idea for Experiment & well executed , good colors,sharp focus & well lit :clap:

Quickly done this week with my third thought as it was easier than the first and for my second idea will probably be washed out with rain due and the fact we are running out of grass to have grass fires with in this area, so it was the safe third option.

Week 17 - Heat

Heat, yikes, that was quick :)

On theme, nice reds, I can almost feel the heat. Good detail. Has a Saturn feel to it, with the rings.

I might have taken a more abstract photograph.

Cheers.

That's red hot ... I like the idea, focus/dof and tilt. (y)

Hi Chris, love your experiment shot although the bottom of the yellow glass is slightly oof

heat - well, fits the theme, love the angle, great DoF :)

Heat..... I'm not usually a fan of tilt, but it definitely works here.
Great (and fast!) take on the theme :)

Nice shot there for heat. Where did you find a cooker with rings like that? I recall we had one back in the 70s, but nothing I've seen these days has exposed elements like that.
Nicely executed and spot on subject.

Week 18 - Figures

This weeks image is one taken back in December.
Called in at Aberavon Beach on Saturday with the intention of taking something similar, as you normally get loads of people walking along the beach. But due to a combination of a dull grey windy day and dogs being banned from the beach from the 1st May, there was absolutely no one walking on the beach so therefore I had to resort to using this image.

Figures ... pretty picture, perfect for the theme nicely silhouetted like that.

I'm a bit undecided about the wide crop and would have been tempted to take out some of the lh side, but otherwise a lovely atmospheric shot with great natural-looking colours. (y)

So what sounded like an easy topic this week proved to be a little bit more challenging to try to come up with something different. In the end I ended up with the two images shown below.
The first one I was only allowed to do provided I cleaned it first!!! My response of there was no need I can clone anything out was met with a look of disapproval.
The second shot was inspired by Andreas (Manxmaid) recently posted Machine image. I could really have done with something like a 10mm lens to carry it off as the 18mm I have wouldn't quite give me the field of view I wanted.

Week 19 - Household-1

Week 19 - Household-2

Hi Chris

Household 1 ... doesn't work for me ... reflections, shadows, noise & OOF ... but I wouldn't know how better to capture that sort of thing.

Household 2 .. is interesting ... you put your camera inside the machine! :clap:

It took me ages to work out what the first one was, but it doesn't really matter, it's a great abstract image and fits the theme well - definitely my favourite of the two.

After photographing speed signs and various other signs I decided on the following being the best of the efforts as I couldn't find a suitable roadsign with the right background. Unfortunately I couldn't decide on which of the two efforts taken at different times of the day I preferred, so in the end I have posted both.

Week 20 - Limit-1

Week 20 - Limit-2

For Bizarre it was a trip down to Cardiff to see if I could do something with some of the street art that is painted on buildings.

This is one of three end of terrace houses with paintings on so this was my effort on the first which is helped by the girl walking through the shot looking at the painting

Week 21 - Bizarre-1

Moving on to the second house I was more taken with the bizarre sight that greeted me of an out side toilet. Tried various crops of this but this was my favourite done in black & WHite

Week 21 - Bizarre-2

Wondering what to do for this spotted this poor guy in a van being attended to by an AA man. Fortunately there was a parking space opposite that I could position the car in and get the shot. Decided to make it Black & White (due to the various house colours) and colour pop the van.

Week 22 - Broken

Brilliant take on Bizarre - thought outside toilets went out of fashion in the 1940's ! Nice interpretation for Limit too - I prefer the 1st of the two images - positioning and vibrancy.

Last edited:
Limit: Fits the theme. Would have preferred if wording in second image was more in focus.
Bizzarre: 2nd shot fits theme more in my opinion. Bizarre place to leave a toilet, no doubt waiting for the scrap man or somebody.
broken: Bang on theme. Nice colour popping

Limit - prefer the second shot, but maybe a bit of selective dodge on the sign to bring out the white writing?
Bizarre - great capture of the toilet :clap:
Broken - like the use of selective colour on the van.

Back