n1kcy’s 52 for 2023 - Weeks 52 Favourite Image of 2023 (cc always welcome)

Week 36 Urban

Chania (Xania) Crete.

IMG_4273.jpeg

Lovely shot, a sort off 'urban oasis'. I like Chania, it has (or had, around 10 years ago) a nice relaxed feel to it.

Nice one Nicky! I could spend some time with my camera there! :)

Loving the juxtaposition of the rusty aircon with the brightly coloured lanterns, and the way the lanterns draw you down the street.

Beautiful little street shot Nicky,. Is it a café?
Nope, just someone's house. Not sure what the lanterns were for, didn't see any others anywhere.

Lovely shot, a sort off 'urban oasis'. I like Chania, it has (or had, around 10 years ago) a nice relaxed feel to it.
It was our first visit and we'd definitely go back. It's probably a lot busier now but was very welcoming and photogenic. Sadly we had cloud nearly every day, whilst the UK basked in the heatwave :rolleyes:

Nice one Nicky! I could spend some time with my camera there! :)
Thanks, it's a beautiful city.

Loving the juxtaposition of the rusty aircon with the brightly coloured lanterns, and the way the lanterns draw you down the street.
I couldn't believe my luck when I checked my phone last week and say Urban for the theme. I choose this shot because of the coloured lanterns.

Nice work the past few weeks, loving the spider having lunch, the washing machine is beautifully clean and shiny.

Colours on the leaf are great, water drops too, and the composition is bold and works really well.

Urban garden in Crete is perfect for the theme.

Nice work the past few weeks, loving the spider having lunch, the washing machine is beautifully clean and shiny.

Colours on the leaf are great, water drops too, and the composition is bold and works really well.

Urban garden in Crete is perfect for the theme.
Thanks Graham I appreciate the comments.

Week 37 Hollow
Taken on my iphone looking through an empty bird feeder.
20230929-IMG_4553.jpg

Clever shot Nicky :)

Nice one Nicky, it draws the eye right to the pasture at the end.

Week 38 Solid and Technique Motion Blur

20231008-FXT48938-Edit.jpg

Nicely done Nicky :)

Week 40 Memory
I LOVED LOVED LOVED playing around on our organ when I was a little girl and they had one today at the Museum of Internal Power.

20231008-FXT49015.jpg

Good catch up
Good solid picture, captured the movement very well
Looks like nature is reclaiming the gate
Memory, good idea for the theme. just me but I keep looking where the focus point is and perhaps it should be on something specific or near/far side. That’s just me though.

Really like both of these shots Nicky. The gate with it's overgrown foliage is wonderful and the POV and DOF on the organ keys gives the image a lovely feel.

That's a lovely gate shot Nicky, bang on lighting and looks like it's in the middle of know where.
It's in our garden, we have a bit of woodland down the bottom. The gate was in use when we moved in 10 years ago but when we moved it we opened it and it's not moved since. I'm actually surprised it's still standing after 10 welsh winters lol.
I did selectively lighten some parts of the gate and add a vignette to make it stand out.

Good catch up
Good solid picture, captured the movement very well
Looks like nature is reclaiming the gate
Memory, good idea for the theme. just me but I keep looking where the focus point is and perhaps it should be on something specific or near/far side. That’s just me though.
Thanks, I had ALOT of go's at trying to get the right shutter speed, the man operating the machine must have just thought I clearly didn't have a clue what I was doing lol.
Fair point about the focus point, it was a grab shot on the way out, my 3yr old was very hungry and making sure I knew it. She was pressing the keys on the lowest keyboard, so it was a case of grabbing a shot without including her little fingers in it. I get switched the lens to f2 to make it more interesting without really thinking about a focal point. In hindsight I think it should have been the colourful buttons at the end so the keys lead up to it.

Reactions: nog
Really like both of these shots Nicky. The gate with it's overgrown foliage is wonderful and the POV and DOF on the organ keys gives the image a lovely feel.
Thanks Bill. As I explained just above, the POV was to not including my daughters hands and the DOF was just something quick to give the image a bit of interest.

Solid - definitely a solid piece of kit, and the motion is well captured.
Memory - works well for the theme

Hollow I thought was like a playground tunnel, funny how sense of scale can be so distorted with no reference points. Nice view and light.

I like solid, the motion blur is perfect and gives the impression of a lot of mass spinning round.

Lovely shot of the organs and pleasing to see that it enjoyed nice memories from your childhood.

Solid - definitely a solid piece of kit, and the motion is well captured.
Memory - works well for the theme

Hollow I thought was like a playground tunnel, funny how sense of scale can be so distorted with no reference points. Nice view and light.

I like solid, the motion blur is perfect and gives the impression of a lot of mass spinning round.

Lovely shot of the organs and pleasing to see that it enjoyed nice memories from your childhood.

Nice catch up. Particularly the gate.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate you taking time to comment.

Lovely fungi/ivy shot Nicky
If I'm being very picky I might have cropped the top right fungi out - but I don't think it detracts particularly from the overall shot

Week 42 Forgotten

20231021-FXT49557.jpg

Last edited:
Back