New Old Digital Challenge - Discussion Thread

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I've decided that we should have a digital version of the New Old Film Challenge, a monthly challenge on a three into which people can enter an image from their archives instead of needing to be freshly shot.
rules are almost the same as for the film version but slightly tweaked:

- Entries must be taken by you
- Must be taken on a digital camera of some sort (not a digital scan of a film neg)
- Must have been taken and post-processed prior to the start date of the monthly challenge
- Please include details of the camera, lens, and anything else of relevance if you can possibly remember that far back, and if linking to Flickr etc please leave exif available to view
- One Entry per person
- Discussion in the discussion thread rather than the Entries thread, please.
- Shoehorning and even Crowbars are positively encouraged!

Entries will generally close two weeks after the challenge starts (usually at 23:59) and voting will usually be open for 5 days after that. Both of these can be varied if appropriate. The winner gets to set the next challenge.

The thread listing previous film challenges is here. That is a useful resource when creating new challenges.

This thread is intended to be an ongoing one, to discuss the current New Old Digital Challenge, instead of having discussion threads for each individual challenge.

The New Old Digital Challenges are intended to celebrate the contents of our back catalogues. The person running the current challenge selects a theme, sets up a new Entries thread with an appropriate title, and including the rules as above. They should link to this discussion thread, and also probably add a link here to the new Entries thread. When the challenge period ends, they should indicate so on both this discussion thread and also the Entries thread (to make it clear should any entries be added after the challenge ended). They should then create a poll on the Entries, usually to run for 5 days and allow 3 votes per voter. Once the poll ends, announce the winner and hand the baton onto them. You don't need to be an entrant to vote, but you must be logged in as a member of Talk Photography.

...and I'm going to start the first challenge theme in order to see what people think!

It seems like a good idea - entered!

I don't see why not @Bebop , if it fits the theme and rules

Old digital images from the archives?????

:LOL: Some of use are still using old digital cameras, the one I really like is from 2001 .

Do have some archive stuff as well

We can do it either way Alby @ajophotog , I don't mind. On the film version, the winner has the pleasure, but I don't mind doing it if I'm provided with the theme.

Well this thread has got me looking back at some of my old stuff and now Im thinking have I just wasted loads of money upgrading and upgrading to get mediocre improvements :headbang:

There are some really interesting photos emerging from dark corners of hard drives for this theme.

Is it just one shot?

I fell foul of that recently as I didn't know the rules.
Yes, just one please - see the first post in the thread

Please note that I'll be closing the entries thread at midnight on Friday 14th - or at least not including any entries that appear after that and before I become conscious on Saturday, in the poll, which I'll post on Saturday morning.

Sorry I was late with the poll, SWMBO has had me super-busy all weekend putting up new curtains, visiting the tip, getting stuff out of storage and putting stuff in... at least I pulled some old camera gear out of storage while I was at it!
Poll now open, for 5 days, closing Friday evening. Loads of entries, hard to choose. Winner gets to choose the next theme!

Yes @Gav. a bit disappointing, considering the quality of entries.

@Brazo was a deserving winner in this first month, but had some very close competition for the right to choose the next theme. I've invited him to think up a theme for the next one, which either he or I will post in due course.

Well Ididn't see one photo! Gonna do it again? Hope so.
Clouds ;)

Clouds ;)

Thanks!

Congratulations @rpn for a worthy winner this time around, with some strong challengers alongside.
Please think up the next theme and let me know by PM, and whether you will create the thread or leave it with me.

Congratulations @rpn for a worthy winner this time around, with some strong challengers alongside.
Please think up the next theme and let me know by PM, and whether you will create the thread or leave it with me.

:ty:

Thanks, Lindsay and thank you to all those who voted for me, very much appreciated. :clap:
I'll think of a theme for the next one and will pm you later, Lindsay.

Wonderful photo Stan, Well done. There are some great shots in this theme.

@rpn has suggested "Light Trails" so that is our new theme. It may be a bit of a niche subject, so shoehorns and crowbars may need to be dug out!

Possibly not within the spirit of the challenge, but I only have one "Light Trails" image, and I had already used it for the "Corners" challenge, so recycling it for this one.

IMHO Lewis, the object of the exercise is to get us revisiting old images and potentially re-editing them or sparking a refreshed interest in shooting the theme or just to shoot for "stock", so all shoehorns/re-uses are welcome

IMHO Lewis, the object of the exercise is to get us revisiting old images and potentially re-editing them or sparking a refreshed interest in shooting the theme or just to shoot for "stock", so all shoehorns/re-uses are welcome
But dont the rules say not re-edited after the start date ? I just re-edited one then read that rule :headbang:

Last edited:
Not re-edited after the start date no, but by the act of searching the archives, renewing acquaintance with a location, genre or whatever might lead to revisiting an image or an idea for a new version or entirely new image, for the said archives or another challenge - ie it may rekindle enthusiasm.

Not sure if I have any light trails off the top of my head, going to have to search back for something suitable. :thinking:

Only two entries this time with just a few hours left. Any more takers? Obviously the theme is a bit too niche I guess.

I have to say that I couldn't even find a shoehorn myself, but it did make me note down that I should give this a go come winter to get some in the archive and maybe I'll even shoot some good ones!

Poll is up, one vote only this time as there are so few entries. Whoever wins will need to think of a less niche theme I think, I thought more people might have something suitable in their files.

Poll is up, one vote only this time as there are so few entries. Whoever wins will need to think of a less niche theme I think, I thought more people might have something suitable in their files.
Like many above, light trails was not something that I did on digital or for that matter on film either. You would have thought that as a theme it would have been more popular, I remember seeing lots of pictures that fit back in the day.

Back