NEW PHOTOS Week 21 Twisted & Week 22 Hidden - Jonathan's photo 52 - 2011

Hope you don't mind, but this was 1 minute in PS on your jpg...

No of course I don't mind. Thanks. I managed to get the same result but thought I'd rather keep the edge of the buildings. I'm sure I'll head down there again soon so will get a wider shot to begin with.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to avoid this problem when taking the shot?

Not without a tilt and shift lens :)

But without one, you can remember you need to adjust the verticals in PS, so leave enough photo around the edge of the subject, so you don't loose the edge....

Rgds

Adie

Adie (Webby962) mentioned a tilt and shift lens in a post to me yesterday and, on googling it, wow! I really like the fake miniature pictures one can create with this so wanted to try. I took this picture about two weeks ago at the Hoover Dam and it looks pretty boring as is so hopefully this effect makes it more interesting. The Hoover Dam is of course a place where the Colorado river is divided (sort of) to generate power.

C&C welcome
Jonathan

19dividedweb.jpg

TS lenses are good for emulating that effect as well as correcting the perspective of buildings/subject as you've mentioned above. however, it looks a good shot but I'm not convinced that the TS effect does the shot justice, having it all in focus and maybe turning it into a B/W or film type shot maybe better :shrug:. Just my 2p :)

The TS photoshop trick or TS lens works best when a feature cuts across horizontally. This is kept in focus, the rest blurrs, giving you a "Miniature diorama" look to the shot. Many examples on the net to see that horizontal works better than vertical. :)

Hi Jonathan,

Apologies I seem to have missed some of your weeks, so will do a quick catch-up here:

Week 14: The tower does seem to be slanting quite a lot, there also seems to be quite a yellow tint. Otherwise it fits the theme.

Week 16: I like this one ... and a different take on the theme.

Week 17: The focus looks a tad out, and I think I would have preferred to see this one in colour as the b&w doesn't give it a very tropical feel.

Week 18: A lovely building and I can see why you wanted to get the whole building into the pic. Perhaps if you had stood a bit further back and also maybe taken the photo from a more central position of the building you wouldn't have the trickiness of having to deal with the verticals. Cloning out the people is much better. Personally I like the HDR colour version.

Week 19: Hmmm, I'm not too sure about this one. It makes me feel a bit queezy when I look at it, probably the T&S effect. I can see how this fits with the theme, I am just not sure about the processing :shrug:

Are we going to see a week 15? :D

I bet you had a great time in Las Vegas and well done for catching up.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Week 19: Hmmm, I'm not too sure about this one. It makes me feel a bit queezy when I look at it, probably the T&S effect. I can see how this fits with the theme, I am just not sure about the processing :shrug:

Are we going to see a week 15? :D

Hi Dawn and everyone else, thanks for the feedback. I knew this picture wasn't a perfect candidate for the processing, hence why it isn't too convincing. However, trying new things is part of what this is all about, right? But, also, another message I'll take from this is not to try and force a square peg into a round hole.

There will indeed be a week 15 - good spot! I just need to identify something good that has been worth the wait! :)

Jonathan

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

So, firstly a catch up from week 15 which I missed for reasons unknown. So this one is wrong, for the following reason:

On the statue found at Nepean Point in Ottawa, Samuel de Champlain holds the astrolabe in his hand. If you look closely at the astrolabe, you will see it is backwards! The ring of the astrolabe is supposed to weigh it down, therefore, it should be at the bottom. On this statue, the ring is pointing upwards!

wrongweb.jpg

Secondly, this is week 20, Promise. This one's a bit of a fraud because the person who drunk all those cans is me, so I really owe myself replacement cans...

promise.jpg

C&C most welcome.
Jonathan

Hiya Jonathan,

Well done on two great photos ....

Wrong ..... :LOL: being the inquisitive mind that I am, I had to google this for more information. Indeed it fits the theme of Wrong so well ... what on earth was the sculptor thinking ... and even more so ... why have they left it like that? :thinking: maybe there is method in the madness :D Anyway, I like the composition of the photo, could perhaps do with a very slight straighten (minor point) and like the clouds in the background (I'm crazy about clouds :D), they add to the feel of the image.

Promise .... like the thinking behind this one, I do something similar, not with cans ... but bottles :LOL: I have many self IOU's to fulfill :D I like the colours of the cans and the way you have scrunched them ... not sure of the post-it note ... but then an IOU is a promise regardless of what it is written on :LOL:

So tell me .... did you collect the cans over a period of time, or did you drink them all to take this photo? In which case, if the latter, well done on getting such a sharp focus :LOL:

Cheers

drodd said:
So tell me .... did you collect the cans over a period of time, or did you drink them all to take this photo? In which case, if the latter, well done on getting such a sharp focus :LOL:

Well I had to have a full shot, didn't I?! No point using one or two cans! You're right about the iou, it takes up a bit too much of the shot.

Thanks for stopping by!
Jonathan

Wrong!

I wonder what the commissioning person(committee) said and did they pay ;) I like the composition and the threatening sky, well caught (y)

Promise, An IOU is certainly a promise but...this composition doesn't work for me, nor the colours :shrug: It doesn't give me a feel as to what to suggest by way of improvement; that is my lack of skill :crying:

I'm away touring western Canada right now so have some beautiful scenery to inspire me. C&C most welcome.

Week 21 - Twisted - water from glaciers high in the Rockies have twisted down the mountains to fill glacial lakes. Because the water is so compressed by the ice, the lakes are a stunning turquoise colour.

21twisted.jpg

Week 22 - Hidden in the trees of Banff National Park is the Banff Springs Hotel...

22hidden.jpg

It looks a lovely place.

Week 21, my works monitor isn't the best to base a comment of colour/ exposure so I'll check again at home, but the colours look odd to me. As for the theme, ummm, it's not obviouse from the photo so it's a liitle weak in that regard, but hey, we've probably all done it, I know I have for Delicate!

Week 22, It's probably my works monitor, but it looks under exposed and under saturated. The location looks great though. From that angle the hotel looks like it's isolated, but the image doesn't really say hidden, the hotel is too big for that!

Two nice shots though and I'll check colours etc on my home coomputer

Striking pair of images. Looks like an amazing place to visit.

"twisted" : The colours are fun and captivating, but rather surreal. Looks like an old postcard from the early days of colour processing. If those colour are accurate it must be mind-blowing! Great composition - the framing/crop looks spot on to me. Exposure looks just right too.

"hidden" Again very nicely composed/framed, and great on for hidden. I agree with Neil that it's quite a bit underexposed, but that's easily corrected in PP

patrick

Neil and patrick have said it all for me... except the fact im jealous... Have you been to Mirror lake yet? That is prob the most Awsome sceenery in Banff I've seen in pics... Jelous big time of your location... make the most of it and enjoy your holiday

Back home now....

Colours in #1 are fab but look unreal, but as I've never been I don't know!

#2 needs a boost of colour, especially the trees, but the sky looks fine.

Hi Johnathan, I cant add any more to whats been said. I like the 2 pics, have you desaturated number 2 at all?

Striking pair of images. Looks like an amazing place to visit.

"twisted" : The colours are fun and captivating, but rather surreal. Looks like an old postcard from the early days of colour processing. If those colour are accurate it must be mind-blowing! Great composition - the framing/crop looks spot on to me. Exposure looks just right too.

"hidden" Again very nicely composed/framed, and great on for hidden. I agree with Neil that it's quite a bit underexposed, but that's easily corrected in PP

patrick

Hi all,
Thanks so much for your comments, I really appreciate the feedback.

Ok...

Twisted (glacial lake): Yes the colours are broadly like that although maybe I've saturated the lake a bit too much! Also, I didn't want the water to look as metallic as that (if you know what I mean). I've included a new, slightly less saturated version below. It's an HDR shot, hence the look of the sky and mountains.

Hidden (hotel in trees): I see what you mean but chose to de-saturate it (it's actually been through HDR processing too - I'll take a break after these two!) as it's a very common composition and I wanted to do something different. I think this look gives it a mysterious feel. Just my thoughts though - perhaps in time I'll change it.

Cheers
Jonathan

21twistedv2lesssaturated.jpg

Hiya Jonathan,

Lucky you touring around what looks to be an absolutely gorgeous place, enjoy your trip.

Wow how's the colour of that water ..... lovely. I think I prefer the second shot you posted. It looks so tranquil there.

I'm not as keen on the 'hidden' shot (sorry). It looks like they have built the hotel out of materials to blend in with the surrounding, which I suppose is a good thing. The mountain looks a tad under exposed on the right.

Well done though on keeping up with posting even though you are on holiday.

Take care

Cheers

Hi Jonathon

I was about to say how unreal 'Twisted' was then I read the thread :) So it's HDR so that is why it looks...weird. And you have dealt with the rather saturated lake. I think your connection to the theme is rather tenuous...but I guess we are all doing that occasionally.

I can see where you are going with 'Hidden' but maybe you overdid the desaturation? It would only need a bit as that sky is rather delightful, IMO.

So, yet again I've fallen behind. I'm determined not to give up though so this is another catch-up week. I'm still missing a few but this is a start.

Week 24 - Bright - Whenever bright sunshine falls upon our front room, Simon seeks it out!

24bright.jpg

Week 27 - Elaborate - Since the definition is complicated in design; complex., I looked around the house and this is what I found. After all, one wrong measurement or missing ingredient, and, well we all know what happens...

27elaborate.jpg

Week 28 - Celebrate - Another around the house shot. I would have loved to have done more with this but unfortunately the champagne had already been drained several weeks ago! Not my strongest shot but I knew there'd be a few dodgy ones if I was going to get through the year!

28celebrate.jpg

Week 29 - Smell - Simon really is a good subject! Smelling really is a strong point of his; there isn't a smell that nose doesn't detect!

29smell.jpg

More to follow.....
Cheers
Jonathan

Good to see you catching up Jonathan, and in the wee hours of the morning too!

Bright - nice angle and take on the theme, it's a pleasing shot.
Elaborate - Sorry, but I'mnot seing elaborate in this shot.
Celebrate - Is it me or does it need a slight clockwise rotation :thinking: It's on theme and th esimplicity works, as does the DOF, but I'd rather the bottle was a little further to the right.
Smell - Good of Simon to help out again, but as the theme was smell, you should realy have had the nose in focus.

Back