weekly Nickbee's very late 52: final three photos added - done!

If you interpret broad as 'wide', that might help with some ideas. As for worn, do you have old worn boots or tools, or maybe an old path or steps in the vicinity? It will be great if you can get finished in time to start the next one on time, which is my aim.

Wide? Now you say it, that bulldozer makes a much better "wide" than it does "rustic". Cheeky edit complete! I don't think I'll be doing it next year, but I really want to get this one done before everyone moves on.

Hi Nick, another good catch up, smailholm tower looks a nice place, have a week in berwick booked for april, might be worth a look on our outings. Liking walled with the sheep in view there. Like the use of the barometer for weather.

It's not far from Kelso and on the way to Dryborough so if you're planning on touring the Border abbeys (which I'd recommend) then it'll fit in well.

A nice little catch up Nick, I too dislike taking just one lens although I do it occasionally, some nice wintery shots there mate, I am really pleased to see you trying to get this 52 finished !!! (y)

I'd seen a Fuji X100T for sale locally and was quite tempted, but not now. I'm determined to finish this 52, even if it's the last one!

Well dobe Nick, nearly there. Good shots given your self imposed lens limitation. Yes the bulldozer has a definite magenta cast ?a WB tweak crept in;) Good luck with the rest of the 52/2017

Wide? Now you say it, that bulldozer makes a much better "wide" than it does "rustic". Cheeky edit complete! I don't think I'll be doing it next year, but I really want to get this one done before everyone moves on.

Glad to help :) It does work well for broad too, and I hope you continue into 2018 as you have posted some lovely images.

My catch-up comments for the end of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 52 - Weather - I stayed inside too ;). Good choice of focus point and angle. :wave:

Nothing intentional about greyness in the snowman shot but then I don't know quite what you mean as the snow looks very white to me?
It could just be my monitor, but the whites look slightly grey to me. (What does the histogram on your original show?)

And onto the catch-up. Almost over the line :)

Walled - Brilliant blue sky, it really emphasises the feeling of remote otherworldliness in the shot. (y)
Remote - Interesting colours in the brickwork, which you've captured nicely. The snow helps with the remoteness.
Juicy - Looks okay to me. I thought Pineapple as I was looking before reading.
Broad - Pink? I've got purple. Haave you mastered the art of capturing one of those colour changing images that go viral on FB/Twitter/Instgram? - What do others think?
It's a good sharp image and I think you're right to have it for broad over Rustic.
Weather - Hehe, it's good to go with the non obvious shot. I think that's the only barometer we've had for weather.
I like the crop and shallow DoF (y)

Good work Nick (y)

I like Walled, I like the blue/white contrast and the way the wall disappears over the horizon ... no so keen on the FG tho. I think if you'd taken a few steps to your right to include less sheep , less shadow and clutter I might like it more. ;)

The other a great too! Lots of colour, I like.

The barometre is a good idea and I really like the unusual pov there. (y)

Well dobe Nick, nearly there. Good shots given your self imposed lens limitation. Yes the bulldozer has a definite magenta cast ?a WB tweak crept in;) Good luck with the rest of the 52/2017

Thanks John. I usually shoot in RAW and fixing the colour is a doddle. But the HDR mode only save in JPEG and I cannot get the WB right. It can be green or it can be pink/purple. Your choice but white is apparently not an option!

Glad to help :) It does work well for broad too, and I hope you continue into 2018 as you have posted some lovely images.

Thanks Andrea. There have been a few good shots along the way but I simply don't have time to take the shots I want and even less time to comment.

My catch-up comments for the end of 2017 (hoping to be quicker in 2018)

Wk 52 - Weather - I stayed inside too ;). Good choice of focus point and angle. :wave:

Thanks David! I was really pleased with how the barometer came out. It's best to keep warm if you can.

It could just be my monitor, but the whites look slightly grey to me. (What does the histogram on your original show?)

And onto the catch-up. Almost over the line :)

Walled - Brilliant blue sky, it really emphasises the feeling of remote otherworldliness in the shot. (y)
Remote - Interesting colours in the brickwork, which you've captured nicely. The snow helps with the remoteness.
Juicy - Looks okay to me. I thought Pineapple as I was looking before reading.
Broad - Pink? I've got purple. Haave you mastered the art of capturing one of those colour changing images that go viral on FB/Twitter/Instgram? - What do others think?
It's a good sharp image and I think you're right to have it for broad over Rustic.
Weather - Hehe, it's good to go with the non obvious shot. I think that's the only barometer we've had for weather.
I like the crop and shallow DoF (y)

Thanks for all the positive comments Tim. I'm urprised it's the only barometer - I haven't seem what other people have posted but whatever idea I do have, I'm usually I'm so late in posting that someone else has beaten me to it.

Good work Nick (y)

I like Walled, I like the blue/white contrast and the way the wall disappears over the horizon ... no so keen on the FG tho. I think if you'd taken a few steps to your right to include less sheep , less shadow and clutter I might like it more. ;)

The other a great too! Lots of colour, I like.

The barometre is a good idea and I really like the unusual pov there. (y)

Thanks David. I climbed up a 6ft snow-covered bank to get the sheep shot - even if I had thought of recompoising to de-clutter then I couldn't have moved! I'm always pleased with strong colours and I'm glad you like them.

And now, the post I wasn't sure I'd ever make - my closing post of the 2017 52!!!

43 Worn by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

I took a photo of some old running shoes for this theme ages ago but wasn't happy at all. Then after @Manxmaid suggested shoes I thought I'd have another go using a more unusual viewpoint and was much happier.

50 Rustic by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

I'm lucky enough to live only a short walk form fields but the closest 'rustic' thing to home is the horseshoe nailed to the front of my shed. Originally shot striaght-on but I preferred the angle for a more interesting composition and a bit of DOF.

url=https://flic.kr/p/DzMozH]51 Festive[/url] by nickbrotherston, on Flickr

Trees, presents, snow if you're lucky, Jesus if you're religious... whatever you pretend Christmas is about, it's really all about sprouts!

And those sprouts are my 53rd and final enrty to this year's challenge. I'd given up completely a couple of months ago but I'm glad I came back and saw it through to the end. Particular thanks to those of you who have kept coming back to comment despite me never returning the favour, @d00d @Dave70D @Manxmaid @Dark Knight @LC2 @michael23 @susiejb @SteveSc @sirch @rpn @granddad john - did I catch everyone? If not then I'm sorry but I'm honestly really grateful that you all took the time to look.

Sprouts - love the depth of field and point of view you've chosen. I like the dark background that makes the sprouts 'pop'.

Actually the same goes for your Worn shot regarding DOF and POV. Like you, I often took shots on time, but just wasn't happy enough to share them.

Rustic is on theme. I think I would have preferred a greater depth of field on this one.

Well done on finishing! I have struggled to keep up all year.

Well done on completing your 52, Nick! Glad to have helped with a couple of ideas recently, and it's a shame you won't be continuing with this year's. Of that final set I do like the viewpoint and focus of the sprouts for Festive; lots of lovely fresh colours and textures standing out well against the dark background :clap:

Last edited:
Back