Northern lights

Yes and seen it very slightly in Aviemore. I've been told by friends it's even bright in Dingwall and Aberdeen. Hopefully we will see a lot of pictures on here tomorrow but I know for me I will be in bed soon:(. I envy the photographers out on the islands at the minute.

Have seen photos on twitter from Norfolk and even as far south as Surrey, if I wasn't so lazy I'd go outside and look ;)

It's visible and your inside on TP :shake: get your cameras on your tripods and get out there, please do it for me stuck indoors hundreds of miles from AB :sulk:

It's very rare I can see it from my house and my camera is flat. Hoping I can get enough charge before they disappear.

Have seen photos on twitter from Norfolk and even as far south as Surrey, if I wasn't so lazy I'd go outside and look ;)

Really, this is interesting...guess I should poke my head out the back door

It's very rare I can see it from my house and my camera is flat. Hoping I can get enough charge before they disappear.

3 pairs of fully charged batteries here :)

Mine normally are but all four of mine are flat lol, the only day I forget to put them on in the morning as well.

Mine normally are but all four of mine are flat lol, the only day I forget to put them on in the morning as well.

This is why I have so many batteries :LOL: and just looked out the door, I have 100% cloud so I guess I don't have to have a stupidly late night

First time I have ever seen the northern lights. Its stunning...
12822958503_7e74216f99_h.jpg

It's visible and your inside on TP :shake: get your cameras on your tripods and get out there, please do it for me stuck indoors hundreds of miles from AB :sulk:

My tripod and lens that i would have used where in the Hand s of him up there who got the shots. :p i was being nice lending them ,,,,,

Saw it with the naked eye from my house about an hour ago. Could just about make out the green but the red stripe was VERY obvious!
Sadly can't get out to take photos as 1) no car, 2) no willing friends/relatives and 3) just had minor surgery so I'm full of stitches, sore and under orders not to lift anything heavy (or let it rub against the stitches) like a camera or tripod. :crying:

Good luck to anyone who ventures out to see them.

It's everywhere but Stoke!! Even resorted to actually going outside to make sure it wasn't there.

My tripod and lens that i would have used where in the Hand s of him up there who got the shots. :p i was being nice lending them ,,,,,

Very nice of you :)

3 tripods, 2 camera, 12 fully charged batteries, numerous triggers here on and bloody cloud :( :bang: :crying:

we need another tripod batteries we have but we are still building our kit up...

From my house, could see them clearly with naked eye. It was like being in Iceland/Norway.

Very nice Marie

My Neice's friend took some on St Andrews beach this evening which showed fantastic colours. I'm not even sure if he was photographer but I was gutted that I didn't have my camera.

Cross posted with my post in the Landscape section. Amazing sights up here near Lochinver right up at the top left of Scotland. 3 for you...

Very little light pollution up here hence all the stars on show. There are 4 of us up here taking landscape pics so we had some decent gear on hand. This is with my Sony A7R and Olympus 21mm f/3.5 at f/5 I think, 15sec at ISO2000. Here's a couple more - same camera and settings.

Looking straight up...

Portrait orientation...

I've got to say it was amazing to see, especially in this setting with the clarity of the air and the brightness of the stars. I just wish I'd had the chance to drive over to one of the views over the lochs & mountains we'd been photographing earlier in the say as that would have given us some truly spectacular pictures.

pritty p*ssed i missed getting out.. only just found out it was showing. Have been being sad and watching dexter on netflix all night, only saw posts of FB about half an hour ago. I was thinking i should have gone out even before i saw these took the bins out at 10.30 and realised there wasn't a cloud in the sky:cautious:

They were just about visible in Norfolk, the sky was more red than normal but quite difficult to see with the naked eye.

I beleive thr camera caught them though, certainly seems more red than the standard light pollution glow.

This was out in the sticks away from most of the light as well.

Northern Lights by danhardwick, on Flickr

Great timing! I handed my D7000 back to Nikon this week for repair.

:(

Some great shots guys. I didnt know anything about it, no idea whether it could be seen here in N. Ireland

Great photos guys, I'm really jealous. The sky overhead is crystal clear with thousands of visible stars but no Northern Lights. I've been out every 20 minutes or so to keep looking, the camera is sat on my table and the tripod is all set ready, but it looks like it's not going to happen. Was up until after 11 Pm and didn't see anything, so gutted when I see photos from much further down the country than I am (just outside Lincoln) and the sky is plain black here.

Great photos guys, I'm really jealous. The sky overhead is crystal clear with thousands of visible stars but no Northern Lights. I've been out every 20 minutes or so to keep looking, the camera is sat on my table and the tripod is all set ready, but it looks like it's not going to happen. Was up until after 11 Pm and didn't see anything, so gutted when I see photos from much further down the country than I am (just outside Lincoln) and the sky is plain black here.

you do realise, a lot isn't visible to the naked eye? you actually have to take the camera off the table, and do some long exposures, then they show up.

A camera sensor is a lot more sensitive than the naked eye.

The one i took above up Mam Tor, the green you couldn't see , but on the camera is was there.

Daft question alert: do the skies have to be completely cloud free to capture the northern lights?

I only ask as I'm going to make the trek to Whitley Bay tonight and the forecast is for 'partly cloudy'. Wasted trip on the cards?

So long as you can see stars you'll see it so even if it is partially cloudy if be out, truth be told last night I'd have gone out even with full cloud if I had been able to just on the off chance I could get to somewhere with a parting in the clouds...it's unlikely to be anything like the display from last night tonight according to a chap from Jodrell Bank but personally I'd still risk a tril out afterall what is it costing you a little fuel and a night away from the telly

So long as you can see stars you'll see it so even if it is partially cloudy if be out, truth be told last night I'd have gone out even with full cloud if I had been able to just on the off chance I could get to somewhere with a parting in the clouds...it's unlikely to be anything like the display from last night tonight according to a chap from Jodrell Bank but personally I'd still risk a tril out afterall what is it costing you a little fuel and a night away from the telly

Ok thanks, I'm going to give it a whirl. However, If I miss Eastenders for nothing I'm holding you personally accountable! :)

Back