Nostromo TP52 (2018) Week 51/2 : Party/Showcase

I expected nothing less :) and not that easy I imagine IME selfies never are, it's a really good take on the theme I think, the eye is drawn nicely to the fork which is well lit and suitably sharp.

Dominic

Short - #1 for me, good details in the stubble and you as background interest. Lovely sky. All nice and sharp and good colour.
Forked - can't argue with it, nice and to the points.

Pete

As above, bang on theme, well composed, exposure spot on and lots of detail.

Imaginative, creative and a well shot picture, I think it is really excellent Dominic.

I understand your frustrations but its a great idea and it does work. I like it
You can see a bit of painting in around the two right hand arms, I can live with that for the idea alone.

Clever Idea, well thought out for the Theme, which I'm still struggling with at the moment.

At first I thought what where you on about, the background is nice and black, It took a while to spot your concerns. for me the concept works well.

Pete

I like it - very well put together. My eyes read left to right so I’d flip it :)

As has been said it's a really good concept and a pretty good final result, don't be too hard on yourself, black backgrounds are hard unless you have complete control over the light

Wk 34 Dark

Here's Dark

I can't believe how hard it is to get a photo of my own dog (Ruby), she just would not look straight into the camera. If i held a treat for her she would just look at that, so just to the side of the lens, which didn't look right.

Anyway i have two edits for you to look at. I prefer the first, but the slightly less saturated eyes of the second, probably fit the theme better.

untitled-9 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-9-2 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

First for me for the richer tones in the eyes, the tight framing makes it a good interpretation of the theme.

Refuse - I really like this idea and this shot Dominic - creative! Was it a composite or an in camera multi shot?

It is a composite in as much as it's three shots put together. I set the camera on a tripod, focused on the bin and with a remote shutter release I took a burst of shots (about 6 or 7) as I through the rubbish in the bin. Then after Many, many attempts I got these 3 from one burst, I then blended them in photoshop into one photo.

No1 for me too of the pooch eyes.

I would take either of them I think the second is more natural maybe but impossible to choose, its a nice image, i like it.

It is a composite in as much as it's three shots put together. I set the camera on a tripod, focused on the bin and with a remote shutter release I took a burst of shots (about 6 or 7) as I through the rubbish in the bin. Then after Many, many attempts I got these 3 from one burst, I then blended them in photoshop into one photo.
Thanks for sharing. I think I can do something like this in camera - must try it one day!

Love the Dog's eyes. I prefer the first one and being a black dog it fits the theme well. They will never look at you will they? It's a dominance thing, whereas my cat will stare at me and drill holes in me :D

Dominic

Dark, No1 for me what a striking photo, love the colour of her eyes and the Crop. I understand your difficulty taking the shot, my Dudley does not sit still for long either and my Home image took an aweful lot of shots.

Wk 35 Splash

Well my initial idea didn't work how i wanted it to (i have include the best of the many efforts). I've done water droplets before, so i wanted to try something a bit different.
So after my first attempts at splash i had to think of something else and it was starring me in the face all week, i just couldn't see it. These little fountains (yes there are two of them, it's just that the other one is obscured by this one), are in the gardens at work, but only come on twice a day. So most of the time i don't actually see them on, this sort of made me forget about them.

This first one i'm going to call 'Angel in the lake' i used a slow shutter speed for some movement

untitled-1321.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

I also like this with the faster shutter speed

untitled-1328.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

And this is the failed water drop splash

untitled-1319.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Splash, Angel of the lake works well, just enough the background is just enough OOF to make the fountains stand out. Good composition and exposure, like the shutter speed you have used. Like it.

Dominic

Splash, difficult to know what shutter speed works best with these kinds of shot. Angel is better than the faster speed one. Tap shot was nearly there.

Pete

Good set of images for splash, the angel is eye catching and I do like the dripping garden tap, well caught with the splash in the water and nicely framed by the bricks.

Wk 36 Pull

I've found this week a bit tricky, i've had a few ideas, but have either not had the time or wasn't sure how to make them work. Luckily today the farmer decided to plough his field, which gave me an opportunity for this shot. It maybe a bit of a shoehorn, because it's more dragging than pulling, but that's all i've got this week.

untitled-1342.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

The plan was to have a minimal look, luckily this field is a slight hill, so that allowed me to have only sky, tractor and field in the shot. I also tried quite hard to have everything on the thirds.
I did pull them up a bit, maybe I could have gone a bit more.

Last edited:
Think this is a very good shot for pulled, really like the composition it works really well, sky is great and like Dave I can see a face in the clouds.

Very good take on pulled, as has been said the composition is really spot on

Wk 37 Art

So not the most dramatic piece of art and some might think of it as just graffiti, but i like to think of it as art.

This was taken this morning (Saturday), i had gone out first thing to catch the sunrise over Titterstone Clee, but when i had got there it was shrouded in low cloud, so i took a walk around the old quarry works waiting for the cloud to move on.

untitled-33 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

There is a picture (the second one) on your other thread about this place which would have worked better for the theme I think I’m not saying this doesn’t work just the other ones better

Hi Dominic, I am so far behind with any commenting, so little point in me adding any critique to the older images but just wanted to say I particularly liked your home shot and the short images.

Splash - I actually prefer the dripping tap. I like the colours and the dof, though I suppose it's not a very big splash.
Pulled - He seems like a very handy farmer, did you tell him what the theme was? :D Nicely split into thirds, as Tim said maybe lift the tractor a little to get more detail but that is being a bit picky. Good shot :D
Art - Graffiti is definitely art but not sure that is a good place for it to be. I like how the top section is disappearing into the mist

I'm hoping to keep up to date from now on but who knows :D

I am very fond of Graffiti art and was looking local for something, like this although its not the best I have seen. Think you have made the best of a miserable looking day, clever composition, well exposed , smack on theme and a good find. I like the "eyes" on the left hand side, recon that could be rather spooky up there at the right time on the right day. Fascinating location I had never heard of until I looked it up, yet another place to add to my "want to visit list". I go flying model gliders at the Long Mynd occasionally but have never looked around much, really must spend a few days having a good gander.

Last edited:
I do like a good piece of street art, but as Georgina says, this doesn't appear the most appropriate place for it (where is it? It seems heritage) and this is just tagging, not even particularly complex tagging at that.
The light / conditions do look challenging... and I do like the contrast of the misty top to the strong darks and colours at the bottom.

Back