Nostromo TP52 (2018) Week 51/2 : Party/Showcase

Good collection of corners but nowhere for the eye to settle I think

Yep - corners a plenty!

Wk 44 Filthy

A bit uninspiring again this week, This first pic is of an old dressing table in storage (well more like dumped) in one of our woodsheds. I couldn't get a clear shot of it, the background is really cluttered, so i used flash to black it out.
The second shot is part of a fan assembly from one of our bio-mass boilers. These boilers need cleaning every 1700 hours of use. It's covered in soot.

untitled-1399 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-1397 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Both work but I do quite like the mirror shot it has a kind of sadness to it.

I think you have done a really good job with the first, there is something poignant about it. Interesting patterns in the soot in the second but the first is the pick for me.

Corner works well for me, Dominic - lots of sharp angles and some nice light and contrasting textures too (y) Those are two good choices for Filthy too, although the first one is my favourite. You lit it perfectly to show the thick grime on the mirror and the junk on the table, with just a hint of the clutter behind it. The filters are interesting and definitely on theme, but the grimy mirror is more compelling for me - it's an excellent choice.

Wk 45 Mark(er)

You see the problem with taking holiday days off at work is you forget what day it is. It wasn't until the wife said today 'what's this weeks theme?' did i realize that tomorrow is Thursday.
So i'm going to post this now and comment of others later this evening.

It just so happens that today i was out mooching around some woodlands and new i would find some markers for trails etc.

untitled-155 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

This one is of trees marked for felling

untitled-104 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Two good Marked shots - the 2nd being less obvious and so better in my eye :)

I think the first one is more obvious and the plastic tape looks a bit ugly in the second so the first for me

Lost. Great use of light and DOF to make a sad photo, like it a lot.

I like both images for Mark(ed), Dominic. They're both interesting and well composed and in a pinch I would just choose #1 because the path draws you through the scene very nicely.

Lost is great. Well planned and executed, lovely background carpet of Autumn leaves, but it's all about that patch of light perfectly picking out the teddy bear. Winner :clap:

I think @Allan.H and i have had the same idea.
I did a shot very similar to that about 4 years back in the 52 unfortunately its not on Flickr anymore having just culled a lot anyway I like it, the bear in the light works gives it a bit of hope if you see what I mean

I wondered if we'd get a lost Ted shot - and this is a good one :)

Dominic

Filthy, I prefer the mirror out of the 2, the colour makes it.

Mark, spot on the theme, I prefer the post one for having the path to add depth. Shame someone is disappearing behind a tree.

Lost, very well on theme and I like the low down angle you have used, nice light on the poor bear.

Pete

Mark, I definitely prefer the second with the foreground tree almost out on it's own echoed by the others in the background.

Lost, nicely done, a shot like that was always going to work.

Hi Dominic,

Mark(er) - The trail version for me, because the pink stands out whereas I'm losing the red/white tape in the other image.
Nice autumnal tones.

Lost - Nicely picked out by the light. Hopefully staged and not some poor tearful child's?
Agree with the others that the low shot works nicely.

Wk 47 Monstrous(ly)

Well after much thought i've come up with this, a Monstrously huge leaf from a Gunnera manicata or as it's also known giant rhubarb, dinosaur food, Jurassic rhubarb.
i wish this theme had come about two weeks earlier, because the leaves would still have been attached to the plant, but at this time of year they are cut off and used to cover the crowns of the plant to protect it during the winter.
I've put an Oak leaf in the center for a bit of scale. I had to stand on a bench and use my widest (18mm on a crop sensor) lens to get it all in shot.

the second photo is just an example of the covered up crowns.

untitled-1432.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

untitled-1440.jpg by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

They are indeed massive good subject for the theme, I quite like the underside of the leaves in the second pic

As has been said, ideal subject for the theme, good to use the oak leaf for scale.

Blimey, that is a big thing isn't it. Not seen/heard of that before. Nice to learn new stuff in this thread.
Well captured and good call to place the oakleaf in there to show the scale :)

Fab shot - is there a blooper reeL? :D

Nice take on the theme with a good mix of colours just a pity about the sky this time of the year.
I know what you mean about the sky. If only the weekend weather would play ball and be nice.

Back