weekly -OY-'s Weekly 52 thingie for 2018 - Week 52 : Showcase (Complete)

Excellent images since my last visit, Dave!

Model - that's a very effective use of tilt and shift and inspires me to try it again. It's been a couple of years, and mine was a harbour scene too, and the effect is perfect for this theme (y)
Corner - what a cracking wave! It shows the dangerous power of the sea and B&W works well, too.
Filthy - another good take on the theme and again B&W works well, along with your expression and the close-up details.
Mark - perfect story-telling portrait and such an inspirational man. DOF is perfect to set the scene without distracting.

Thanks Andrea :)

Hi Dave,

Filthy - Where's the catflap ? ;) I too like the processing. I'm pondering if it had to be B&W due to using photocopies? Otherwise drawing a monkey out for an photoshot is dedication !!!

Mark(ed) - Excellent portrait of Simon there. Agree with @sirch's comment.

Hi Dave,

Filthy - Where's the catflap ? ;) I too like the processing. I'm pondering if it had to be B&W due to using photocopies? Otherwise drawing a monkey out for an photoshot is dedication !!!

Real money it was :)

Mark(ed) - Excellent portrait of Simon there. Agree with @sirch's comment.

Ta muchly :)

Week 46 : LOST

Ok - some knowledge of CBBC and Hacker T Dog may be required to fully understand this one. A bit of Pre-Chrimbo fun, and why not? :)

CBBC star Hacker T Dog sang his fabulous(?) song at our Christmas Switch-On event last night. The song details the sad tragedy when he LOST his jar of Meaty Paste!

Hacker T Dog by Dave Green, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, works for the theme then, got to say I hate that puppet very annoying

A cool and fun shot for the theme Dave, nice one.

Thanks for the explanation, works for the theme then, got to say I hate that puppet very annoying

Thanks COCKER! Hahahaa...

Here I am hehe...

i-wBH769X.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... BBC iPlayer screen grab not showing - some sort of copyright protection? Hows when I edit the post - Hmmmm

Showing now for me :D

Well, that's definitely an original take on the theme! Thanks for the explanation. It looks as though the light was quite tricky but you've done a great job to isolate the puppet while still giving a sense of the setting, and he stands out nicely against the contrasting coloured background. Unlike my image, we definitely won't be seeing one similar to this :)

Dave

Filthy, Nice image, good processing, plenty of richness.

Marked, as Sirch said.

Pete

Well you lost me with that one, it's a good photo in those circumstances

Thanks all :)

For those still LOST - I did explain. Hacker loves meat paste - and he's singing about a jar of it that he's LOST :)

Lost
Well that's a bit different. It's well taken, I guess the shooting conditions were a bit tricky.

Week 47 : Monstrous

Bit of a gloomy day today so mooched about and found myself here on the banks of the River Mersey in Warrington.

Warrington Transporter Bridge. The only surviving railway transporter bridge... (Clarkson voice).... IN THE WORLD!

Warrington Transporter Bridge by Dave Green, on Flickr

Good idea to convert to mono to suit the moody sky. The low angle view exaggerates the size of the structure. Is there not a similar bridge in Middlesbrough? Or is that one for cars rather than rail?

Ta :)

Yes the Tees Transporter Bridge is a road transport bridge.

Quite a familiar structure, that’s a great image of it nice low viewpoint and the black and white conversion works well

Hi Dave,

Lost - Ta for the explanation, but hey, any shot of Hacker is a good shot :)
Nice contrast of the red in his clothing with the blue background.

Monstrous - No idea how that works as a bridge, but nice bit of industrial capture there. Agree with the comments about the low perspective emphasizing the size, and that it works well in mono.

I never knew Warrington had a transporter bridge, good fit for the theme and well captured. I guess it was just a few trucks at a time that got transported?

Quite a familiar structure, that’s a great image of it nice low viewpoint and the black and white conversion works well

Thanls Allan.

Hi Dave,

Lost - Ta for the explanation, but hey, any shot of Hacker is a good shot :)
Nice contrast of the red in his clothing with the blue background.

Monstrous - No idea how that works as a bridge, but nice bit of industrial capture there. Agree with the comments about the low perspective emphasizing the size, and that it works well in mono.

Cheers :)

I never knew Warrington had a transporter bridge, good fit for the theme and well captured. I guess it was just a few trucks at a time that got transported?

Ta -from whatI can gather the gondola slung under the bridge carried one train carriage across.

Some history here...

http://www.warringtontransporterbridge.co.uk/history.html

Lovely B&W, very nicely done, good contrast with shadows/highlights intact.
I like how you used it to frame the factories in the distance too.

Thanks Gareth :)

Monstrous
Nice photo and I like the black and white treatment and low pov.

Monstrous
Nice photo and I like the black and white treatment and low pov.

Thanks - I;d have liked to have got lower but that would involve going down the bank into the biggest forest of Giant Hogweed I've ever seen. Must be 100m by 10m and at least 10 feet high! Luckily now dead for the winter but taking no chances!

Dave

Lost, it looks like basil brush to me, but it's been a very long time since I watched Childrens TV, CBBC had not been invented then. IT'S A PUPPET, which is nice and sharp.

Monstrous, A great Image there Dave, love the processing, nice and gritty looking, good contrast. Detail in the sky works well. Didn't know they had a Transporter bridge at Warrington, used to drive past Warrington on the way to my grand parents in Birkenhead before the M56 was built.

Pete

Dave

Lost, it looks like basil brush to me, but it's been a very long time since I watched Childrens TV, CBBC had not been invented then. IT'S A PUPPET, which is nice and sharp.

Monstrous, A great Image there Dave, love the processing, nice and gritty looking, good contrast. Detail in the sky works well. Didn't know they had a Transporter bridge at Warrington, used to drive past Warrington on the way to my grand parents in Birkenhead before the M56 was built.

Pete

Thanks Pete
It’s amazing how many don’t know the transporter bridge is there despite there being brown touristy type signs to it from the main road past Bank Quay station. Although if you follow them it’s tricky to find and involves a short walk to finally get there.

Week 48 : Balance

i-HhPx62P.jpg

I'm not overly sold on the angle and somehow cropping a chunk off the bottom makes it feel more vertiginous for me but definitely a good subject for the theme,

BTW the link to here from the post-your-images thread seems to be broken

I'm not overly sold on the angle and somehow cropping a chunk off the bottom makes it feel more vertiginous for me but definitely a good subject for the theme,

BTW the link to here from the post-your-images thread seems to be broken

Thanks - a marmite shot for sure. Slim pickings this week!

Link fettled :)

Back