weekly -OY-'s Weekly 52 thingie for 2018 - Week 52 : Showcase (Complete)

Thanks folks - I love a wonky mono me :)

Week 49 : Crushed

The Commute

i-vk6tJLx-XL.jpg

Balance
I quite like the angle, it's not something I do myself, but when others do it, it seems to work. The figure is a little lost in the tree branches, but unless you had a chainsaw with you, there's not a lot you could have done.

Crush(ed)
Thankfully it's not something I ever have to do. I hope you told the train driver, he's got a headlight out.

I was pondering something like this yesterday while traveling to and from Abbey Road twice yesterday, in the Christmas Saturday crowds, it certainly works for the theme.
I appreciate that it would have been dark in the shadows, but perhaps a little shadow reduction might allow more detail to show through?
But then again, maybe not as I guess you're trying to show the drudgery of the commute.

The clear separation from the point-of-view and the commuters by being in front of the train works well and we can all imagine the crush inside the train.

Thanks folks.

Yeah I wanted to keep the mood as it was - dark and dull and gloomy!

I agree with the above comments looks very foreboding the thought of being in the middle of that

Hi Dave,

That's a great choice for Monstrous - such a big and dark piece of industrial engineering. I like the low POV to accentuate the height, and the composition framing the buildings beyond.
Balance - another good choice for the theme, and in some perverse sense I like the way the image is off balance while the subject itself is demonstrating balance. I hope that make sense because I like the effect.
Crush(ed) - and another good take on a theme! It conveys a dull and gloomy morning, along with the gloomy posture and mood of the commuters as they wait to get aboard and into the morning crush (y)

Thanx Manx :)

Balance is off-balance. You got it :)

Week 50 : Motion : LOCOmotion :banana:

34092 "City of wells" pulls in to Irwell Vale with a Santa Special service from Bury to Rawtenstall. 50015 "Valiant" on the back providing heat so that the little darlings don't get cold.

i-c9d2fgj.jpg

Well captured with good light and loads of steam makes a classic locomotive photo

Well captured with good light and loads of steam makes a classic locomotive photo

Thanks - it's a fab spot for a full train shot.

As above classic train picture the steam definitely makes it

Yeah it defo needed 1/3 train 2/3 steam!

Beautiful shot!

Love the composition too....you really let the steam tell the story.
And crisp detail front to back too....the steam loco is the focus of the image of course, but I do love those old deltics....the noise is incredible!

Thanks. Just shows what a web image can do for depth of field. This was shot at F/4 focus on the front - at 140mm

Superb! (y)

Love that shot of a classic steam train at full steam ahead.

Ta, Not the prettiest of locos the old "spam can" but it can put some steam up! The Volcano some call it :)

On of OV Bulleid's finest in her original form.
I must say though, I'm not really getting the feeling of motion, maybe due to being in a platform and the exhaust is just drifting.
Geek Alert:
Is the Hoover really providing heat? They are ETH and surely most Mk1s are Steam Heat. Must say, I can't see any steam leaking from between the carriages, which does support your assertion.

On of OV Bulleid's finest in her original form.
I must say though, I'm not really getting the feeling of motion, maybe due to being in a platform and the exhaust is just drifting.
Geek Alert:
Is the Hoover really providing heat? They are ETH and surely most Mk1s are Steam Heat. Must say, I can't see any steam leaking from between the carriages, which does support your assertion.

It's what I was told by the boffins on Bury Station :)

Not a lot of movement here s it was pulling in to the station. It's still a locomotive though :D

This was my other candidate - taken after dark at ISOsilly.

Crossing by Dave Green, on Flickr

Dave

Balance - good take on the theme, but the exposure makes it difficult to see more details. Think you were between a rock and a hard place with that sky.

Crushed - normal service is resumed, back to trains. nothing wrong with that image, good fit to the theme.

Motion - Another good take on the Theme, good details captured. I think cropping the top to just under the hedge in the backround field improves the composition. YMMV.
2nd shot is very atmospheric and I hope the only motion is in the chap crossing the rails.

Pete

Week 51 : Party Socks :)

i-rVnQ6KB.jpg

You can’t beat a pair of novelty socks, showing a bit to much flesh for my liking :naughty:

You can’t beat a pair of novelty socks, showing a bit to much flesh for my liking :naughty:

Thanks Allan - I was beginning to think I'd linked locally from my hard drive and nobody could see it :D

A 10% Tiramisu Imperial Stout was up next so I got the shot while I still could :D

Cool interpretation of the theme!
A fun image indeed....can't even suggest you 'pull your socks up' 'cos you have! :D

Fanx :D

Quite a warm tone to the image, with the beer, table and boots which I think suits the image :)

Ta - everything warm but the beer :D

Hi Dave

Party- Socks, too much leg for me ( lucky they are not in full Focus. But no doubt its on theme with good ecposure and there is a nice pint of beer there as well.

Have a Happy New Year.
Pete

Party socks is a good fun shot, nice one.

Ta muchly :)

What fun to have a party for one! Unusual to see a fresh pint untouched. Like the view angle and dof with focus on the wordings.

Wasn't untouched for long. Actually I confess I borrowed it as I was halway down a most excellen 10% Stout :)

Hi Dave

Party- Socks, too much leg for me ( lucky they are not in full Focus. But no doubt its on theme with good ecposure and there is a nice pint of beer there as well.

Have a Happy New Year.
Pete

Ta Pete - and all the best!

Week 52 : Showcase

Fairy Pools on the Isle of Skye.

I'd had this on my list for a while and finally got there earliewr this year. After yomping up the valley past many waterfalls surrounded by many people I eventually ran out but kept going anyway as I hadn't come across the one I'd seen online. Eventually I came across a sign that said "You are now leaving the Fairy Pools area. Do not proceed further unless equiped for the montain environment ahead." Or something like that. So I cracked on further and found it - and I was alone! RESULT! :)

I've had this printed on textured art paper at 24" x 16" and it's going on the wall once I get it suitable framed :)

Fairy pools by Dave Green, on Flickr

Excellent final shot good luck with next years 52 and all the best for the New Year

Absolutely beautiful image Dave!!

I'm so envious of those who have the skills and geography to produce such amazing long exposure images....you absolutely nailed it....superb composition, expertly processed....perfect!
(y)

Thanks Gareth :)

Wow, absolutely stunning.

That's all I can say. See you in 2019.

Ta very much

Excellent final shot good luck with next years 52 and all the best for the New Year

Cheers Allan - all the best!

Were you equipped for the mountain, or did you just have flipflops and shorts? ;)
Well worth the hike up I feel, and good on you for persevering in your search for *the* shot.

Ta - equipt as I needed to be :) needed a hike to clear my head after witnessing Swedish girls skinny dipping lower down - oh my!

Last edited:
Back