weekly Phil Bennett's 52 for 2015 - Week 24 Spiral added

Well I'd certainly like to be there right now Phil, I think it works cropped to just the main figure, or maybe clone those people out. It's spot on for the theme ...sand, sea sunshine, perfect :)
Two weeks on Sunday, I'll be back, but to a different part this time.

Cheers guys.

Phil

That's good. (y) .. I say don't crop ... the subject's good & sharp but there's also interest in the OOF BG.

Phil, once again you rocked the subject with Experiment. How do you manage to come up with some of these shots???

Heat: Good shot, on subject, well executed, but for me, it doesn't have the interest / wow factor that a lot of your others do. But then, I don't tend to take people photos, so what do I know eh?

Hi Phil, well, it certainly says heat to me. I like the composition, I wouldn't crop it - it says to me he's found his own place in the sun & he doesn't care about what's going on around him (y)

Heat - You definitely look as if you're enjoying the heat there Phil! Dof and composition are both spot on for me. I was a little undecided about whether it would look more desert islandy with the other people cropped out, or whether they help to add interest to the bg, but on balance I think you've made the right decision to leave them in. I'm very impressed that you organised getting your camera and tripod set up so well amongst those rocks and still managed to dash over and look so poised and relaxed in time for the shot!

Figures - I really like the shadows and the varying tones in this one. A closer crop to make more of the carved figures would have been more in keeping with the theme but a good holding shot :clap:

Hi Phil,

well, you couldn't get a better fit for the theme could you? Loads of figures there. I think I'd have cropped out the half pillar on the left though as it might have given the figure in the background a bit more prominence, but I'm no expert at this :)

Figures ... good for the theme, but I guess it must be difficult to know the best PoV, what to zoom in on ... so many figures!

Sound - I like this. The depth of field looks quite shallow on the table surface but everything that need to be on the mp3 player and headphones is perfectly sharp. There’s a bit of a distracting reflection on the screen but other than that a very nice image especially with the neutral but complimentary background colours.

Alphabet - Good thinking and execution for this theme - I’m guessing it spells alphabet. The use of black and white is a good idea for this as well

Experiment - Absolutely fabulous. The amount of effort and thought, let alone excellent execution, that has gone into this is superb. Top marks. The best of the theme and right up there for the full year.

Heat - Good male portrait shot with a strong subject well placed in the framed.

Figures - Lots of detail in this one and good exposure as I guess the lighting was pretty harsh on the day

Household - I prefer #1 out of these. A nice shot of an old sewing machine with surroundings that seem to fit the age of the subject,

Hi Phil

Like the old sewing machine in that setting with assorted old bits 'n pieces. Really shallow DoF ... normally a good thing, but here it would be nice to see the brown box on left and the yellow tin on right more clearly. That old fire/iron-warmer is quite extraordinary.

household - love the sewing machine shot - even the net curtains add something, def says household :clap:

I remember my granny having a sewing machine just like that - probably had the same net curtains as well :)

Hi - I like that first shot of the sewing machine - is it a treadle? It looks like the ones we used at school - showing my age now! (y)

Great shots Philip. The limit one - well wish I was there! Really sharp and clear. The bizarre one is really bizarre! Well taken - off to read about it now.

Sound: Fits the theme. Crit others have already said. me being the nosy person i am had to go and listen to the track via music supplier, for some reason I was expecting some real heavy rock was pleasantly surprised. No doubt I will listen to some more by this artist.
Alphabet: Good interpretation. Love the weathered look of the hands. Well placed on middle third
Heat: I would interpret as "feeling the heat" as model is taking in the suns rays and does not look hot.
Bizzarre: Definitely fits the theme gave me the shivers when I first saw it. I've done my homework and read about it. Always good to add more knowledge into the data bank. I take it it is kept cool?

Sound: Fits the theme. Crit others have already said. me being the nosy person i am had to go and listen to the track via music supplier, for some reason I was expecting some real heavy rock was pleasantly surprised. No doubt I will listen to some more by this artist.
Alphabet: Good interpretation. Love the weathered look of the hands. Well placed on middle third
Heat: I would interpret as "feeling the heat" as model is taking in the suns rays and does not look hot.
Bizzarre: Definitely fits the theme gave me the shivers when I first saw it. I've done my homework and read about it. Always good to add more knowledge into the data bank. I take it it is kept cool?

Cheers Mandy

Im not sure that the "Monk" is kept cool, he's in a glass case in the open air, it was just weird to see.
Don Henley has loads of solo stuff out, and The Eagles are my favourite band.

Phil

Wow! Love the Egyptian columns for Figures and the chimney for Household. Both brilliantly taken.

Hi Phil

... like the pool shot with the flipflop shoes in focus and OOF summer holiday BG.

First reaction ... crop-to-zoom

but no ... the more I see it the more I like it.

Limit - haha, that's about the limit of what I'll be doing on my hols in a couple of weeks' time too :D
Bizarre - Eeww, creepy and very bizarre!
Broken - I like the composition and Dof with the sharp detail of the moss, but poor tree :(

That's a really nice image - well lit, nice DoF and the positioning within the frame are all good.

Back