weekly Robin 52's Challenge

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
No
Greetings everyone, let's see if I can follow this simple 52 Challenge.

2018 Themes

• Week 0 - Round your area
  • Week 1 - Gate(d)
  • Week 2 - People
  • Week 3 -
  • Week 4 -
  • Week 5 -
  • Week 6 -
  • Week 7 -
  • Week 8 -
  • Week 9 -
  • Week 10 -
  • Week 11 -
  • Week 12 -
  • Week 13 -
  • Week 14 -
  • Week 15 -
  • Week 16 -
  • Week 17 -
  • Week 18 -
  • Week 19 -
  • Week 20 -
  • Week 21 -
  • Week 22 -
  • Week 23 -
  • Week 24 -
  • Week 25 -
  • Week 26 -
  • Week 27 -
  • Week 28 -
  • Week 29 -
  • Week 30 -
  • Week 31 -
  • Week 32 -
  • Week 33 -
  • Week 34 -
  • Week 35 -
  • Week 36 -
  • Week 37 -
  • Week 38 -
  • Week 39 -
  • Week 40 -
  • Week 41 -
  • Week 42 -
  • Week 43 -
  • Week 44 -
  • Week 45 -
  • Week 46 -
  • Week 47 -
  • Week 48 -
  • Week 49 -
  • Week 50 -
  • Week 51 -
  • Week 52 -

Last edited:
Welcome to the 52 challenge and good luck with it.

Week 0 - Round your area a nice image, I like how the sun is coming through the trees and lighting up the buildings helps give the image a nice warm feeling.

Gate(d) - nice sharp image and bang on for the theme.

Hi Robin and welcome to the 52, this might help.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/adding-a-linky-to-your-post-or-page.109/

Your area is a lovely shot, like the darkness and good to see some swans.
Gate, is another good shot and see we all had sun today, use to love our boating holidays as a little boy going through all the locks and you caught it nicely.

Thanks @Dave70D , Flickr had some hiccup last night on their website link didn't appear :D

Welcome to the 52 challenge and good luck with it.

Week 0 - Round your area a nice image, I like how the sun is coming through the trees and lighting up the buildings helps give the image a nice warm feeling.

Gate(d) - nice sharp image and bang on for the theme.

Thanks for your comment @Pinkbikerbabe

I love the light in your 'round your area' submission, that's very nice.

And your take on gate is bang on theme and very sharp, and I like the composition.

Robin

The light on the river/canal side houses bring the 1st photo to lift. Nice
I take it there was a handy boat to step onto for your second shot.

Pete

I love the light in your 'round your area' submission, that's very nice.

And your take on gate is bang on theme and very sharp, and I like the composition.

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Robin

The light on the river/canal side houses bring the 1st photo to lift. Nice
I take it there was a handy boat to step onto for your second shot.

Pete

Thanks for comment Pete, the second photo I was standing on one pivotable locks.

Hi Robin.
Not sure I've seen your images in the main 2018 thread, are they there? (It's where most of us look for new images).

Anyway, now I've found them:

Your Area - Lovely looking image, taken in the golden hour by the looks of things.
On my monitor the shadows seem a bit dark, have you had a play with raising the shadows at all?

Gate(d) - A broad gauge lock, so somewhere on the GU maybe? Nice exposure, bang on theme (y)

Hi Robin.
Not sure I've seen your images in the main 2018 thread, are they there? (It's where most of us look for new images).

Anyway, now I've found them:

Your Area - Lovely looking image, taken in the golden hour by the looks of things.
On my monitor the shadows seem a bit dark, have you had a play with raising the shadows at all?

Gate(d) - A broad gauge lock, so somewhere on the GU maybe? Nice exposure, bang on theme (y)

I do not really like to raise the shadow to get into HDR like image. I adjusted it just enough to show the shadow details and it is quite dark in the real scene.

It is in Great Amwell, Herts.

@robinsslee hi Robin, you need the link so folk will find your shot to comment on :)

Ok it is now done, thanks Dave.

Agreed with the lovely light on them Robin, where about was that taken, looks a real nice spot !!

Oh, and welcome back to the photo52, I do hope you have a good year (y)

Thanks, it is lovely little town there... let's hope I keep up the challenge :D

Two great shots to start your 52s Robin. Love the one of your area, the light on the houses is perfect. Glad to see someone has had blue skies:)

Welcome Robin

A challenging subject, lots of shadow and reflection ... came out well. (y)

I' be tempted to crop closer to the buildings in your area, nice light, good start.

Can't help but think the gates would be more prominent shot from the other side, it looks like that is where the light is.

Welcome aboard, Robin, and those are two nice images to get you underway. I do really like the warm light in the first one and the way it has picked out the buildings and the boat on that side - it makes an attractive scene, Your image for Gate is perfect for the theme and well composed, and I like the way your high viewpoint allows us to see the line of the canal in the background (y)

Two great shots to start your 52s Robin. Love the one of your area, the light on the houses is perfect. Glad to see someone has had blue skies:)

Thanks Gramps :D

Welcome Robin
A challenging subject, lots of shadow and reflection ... came out well. (y)

I was thinking about cropping closer to the building well maybe I could since I have the 5DsR, or I could've walked a few steps backward but weather too windy and cold, my good half is waiting so best not upset :p

I' be tempted to crop closer to the buildings in your area, nice light, good start.

Can't help but think the gates would be more prominent shot from the other side, it looks like that is where the light is.

I could've been but I am so far ahead a little lazy to walk back, plus the shadow and darkness gives the isolation and draws viewers eye into it. Thanks

Welcome aboard, Robin, and those are two nice images to get you underway. I do really like the warm light in the first one and the way it has picked out the buildings and the boat on that side - it makes an attractive scene, Your image for Gate is perfect for the theme and well composed, and I like the way your high viewpoint allows us to see the line of the canal in the background (y)

That’s a very nice vintage looking shot, really suits the monochrome look :)

Fits the theme perfectly - what's the story - he has some sort of Fruit & Veg overall on?

People
I like that. Maybe a lift of the shadows on the face (I'm looking on my phone, it might be fine on a proper monitor)

Your area a nice image, I like the sun light through the trees lighting up the buildings where everything else in shadow.

Gate - good idea for the theme and good position for the view down the canal

People - Great character the black and white with the old plate gives it a great vintage look

Really nice portrait shot for people, works well in B&W (y)

My only critique would be that it's a photo of a person, not of people :)

B&W suits the appearance of the Image. Nice old chap, is it at some vintage event.

Pete

Hi Robin ... I’m a bit late visiting your thread, super photo of the lock and the waterway, that looks like a lovely place to take a walk in that watery winter sunshine.
Perfect choice in the B&W for People, he looks a really interesting character and you’ve captured him really well.

-
That’s a very nice vintage looking shot, really suits the monochrome look :)

Thanks @Hadron

Fits the theme perfectly - what's the story - he has some sort of Fruit & Veg overall on?

Thanks @IanD - he sells greens.

People
I like that. Maybe a lift of the shadows on the face (I'm looking on my phone, it might be fine on a proper monitor)

Thanks @Nostromo - I do not wish to lift too much, a little shadow is fine it shows what I saw when taking this photo. Wish I brought my off flash though.

Your area a nice image, I like the sun light through the trees lighting up the buildings where everything else in shadow.

Gate - good idea for the theme and good position for the view down the canal

People - Great character the black and white with the old plate gives it a great vintage look

Thanks @minx

An excellent "Environmental Portrait".
B&W defo suits it due to the subject matter.
If you have the chap's details, I bet he would love a copy of that.

Thanks @LC2 - wish I had his detail perhaps I'll come across him sometime in near future.

A cracking shot for people imo, really does look old school and best so far for people and great in mono too (y)(y)

Thanks @Dave70D - was lucky that he dressed appropriately for the occasion.

Really nice portrait shot for people, works well in B&W (y)

My only critique would be that it's a photo of a person, not of people :)

Thanks @brrnd - yes you are right too, I shall ask if he has a twin brother :)

B&W suits the appearance of the Image. Nice old chap, is it at some vintage event.

Pete

Thanks @seaodyssey - yes it is.

This is great. Wish I had the confidence to photograph people like this.

Thanks @ross.anderson.58 - I am not people's person and shy, but this chap is ready for me so I guess he is expecting something :D

Hi Robin ... I’m a bit late visiting your thread, super photo of the lock and the waterway, that looks like a lovely place to take a walk in that watery winter sunshine.
Perfect choice in the B&W for People, he looks a really interesting character and you’ve captured him really well.

Thanks @susiejb - be late than never I guess :)

Week 2 - People - Good portrait with interest in background and texture and expression in the face.

I’m using a rota to make sure I spread my comments round. Will be doing about 1 in 7 each week.

Back