weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

Hi Stan

Good, different take on the theme ... from sunny Cyprus.

Hi Stan,

Nice shot. That guy on the right even looks as if he's telling guy no 3 to move along! :)

Nice image Stan, and curiously I was thing the same as Lorraine, two's company and all that ;)

Thanks Lorraine and Chris, if I recall rightly the guy on the left just came out of the sea and left after the conversation.

Hi Stan

Vertical.....lovely shots......love the sky & the sharpness of the buildings & the lights (y) Even with the odd shaped top bit I think the corrected one is better simply cos it looks more real ...

Crowd , hope you had a great holiday ....I fascinated by the tat on the middle guy's back...kinda looks like a zipper :LOL:

Just able to take last week's theme another one is already up. At this rate I'll always behind. Anyway here's my week 13 submission. No idea what this machine was part of but I think it could be something to do with paper mill that use to be there many years ago.

Week 13 - Ghost of the Machine

Last edited:
well spotted, Stan, looks like a cracking piece of machinery.

I'd have got closer, the bridge and doorway don't really add anything for me.

I think it would make a nice B&W.

Cheers.

I disagree with Andy, I think the door and the river (thus you can't lose the bridge) give it context.
I agree, it looks like the transmission of a waterwheel, or possibly the control mechanism (raising / lowering a sluice to control the flow).

Good interesting photo IMO.

Hi Stan,

Machine - ooh I like that, you can't beat a bit of old machinery. I might be tempted just to crop out that tree on the rhs as it's a little bit distracting, but otherwise I really like it :)

I agree with Lorraine, tis a lovely shot, although the tree isn't distracting for me. I'd love to see a re-shoot when you have more time - I'd be tempted to climb on the wall lol (but don't let me lead you to danger ha )

Hi Stan

Close.....like that a lot, great lighting making the gold really pop, super narrow DOF with just enough in focus & the textured bg works a treat :clap:

Machine......ooooh , lots of lovely textures in there (y) , bit of a meh sky but not much you can do about that .I like the inclusion of the river & door for context but might be tempted to crop just a bit closer to the start of the machine ?

I disagree with Andy, I think the door and the river (thus you can't lose the bridge) give it context.
I agree, it looks like the transmission of a waterwheel, or possibly the control mechanism (raising / lowering a sluice to control the flow).

Good interesting photo IMO.

Thanks Tim. That was my thought behind the inclusion of the river is to show the machinery's surrounding and where its located.

Hi Stan,

Machine - ooh I like that, you can't beat a bit of old machinery. I might be tempted just to crop out that tree on the rhs as it's a little bit distracting, but otherwise I really like it :)

Thanks Lorraine

I agree with Lorraine, tis a lovely shot, although the tree isn't distracting for me. I'd love to see a re-shoot when you have more time - I'd be tempted to climb on the wall lol (but don't let me lead you to danger ha )

Thanks Summer, will definitely visit the location again when an opportunity arise.

Hi Stan

Close.....like that a lot, great lighting making the gold really pop, super narrow DOF with just enough in focus & the textured bg works a treat :clap:

Machine......ooooh , lots of lovely textures in there (y) , bit of a meh sky but not much you can do about that .I like the inclusion of the river & door for context but might be tempted to crop just a bit closer to the start of the machine ?

Thanks Lynne, I was trying out my least used lens in my camera bag; 105mm f2,8 Micro.

Hi Stan

I love dirty old Machinery. Your composition is good, but there are various other shots there, ie getting right in there between the teeth.
Maybe for another theme.

Nice Machine there Stan well spotted (y)

This daily event called work is really getting into the way of my TP Project 52. Always been two weeks behind in the last month or so. Hopefully now the work load has eased off slightly I'm able to catch up to date soon.

Here's my Alphabet submission for week 14; its a rather boring shot, my photoshop skill is very poor and limited. Also apologise for hurting your eye for the over saturated bright red B. The first three letters of the Alphabet and so happen they stand for my hometown and model of my two cars.

Week 14 - Alphabet

Week 14 - Alphabet by Stan, on Flickr

Last edited:
like the machine shot composition wise as said you could spend some time and get a bunch of very different shot with that piece of machinery.
ABC is a great interpretation and works well as a triptych the A is a touch tight in frame but i still like it

ABC ... Don't much like the shiny stuff, pity there's no hand painted B and C but perfect for the theme.

Alphabet....Very nicely done.
The only thnig I don't like is the lack of any colour in the "C" image.

like the machine shot composition wise as said you could spend some time and get a bunch of very different shot with that piece of machinery.
ABC is a great interpretation and works well as a triptych the A is a touch tight in frame but i still like it

Thanks Simon, a revisit to the river bank is definitely call for.

ABC ... Don't much like the shiny stuff, pity there's no hand painted B and C but perfect for the theme.

Thank you David, actually there's a painted B too and no C in Aberdeen!

Alphabet....Very nicely done.
The only thnig I don't like is the lack of any colour in the "C" image.

Thanks Ruth, agree with C is boring but not when the turbo kicks in in the Mini Cooper S.

Hi Stan,

alphabet - great fit for the theme, and I like the triptych idea. I'm not so sure about the A for some reason - maybe because the background isn't plain like the others - sorry :)

Hi Stan

Alphabet......neat take on the theme,simple but effective (y)

Thanks Lynne, appreciated.

Abstract, the A and B really work well together, but not sure at the C.

Overall, I rather like it.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy.

Hi Stan,

alphabet - great fit for the theme, and I like the triptych idea. I'm not so sure about the A for some reason - maybe because the background isn't plain like the others - sorry :)

Thanks Lorraine. I struggled with the triptych in Photoshop but got there in the end. Would prefer some form of separation borders between the shots though.

Gorgeous (I'm a bike fan).

Excellent idea.
Almost looks like Lord Vader!

Major catch up from me Stan :rolleyes:
Close up ... Looks good to me, simple and clear, nice detail and great use of DOF. Love the colour that gold is really popping. Nice shot.

Machine ... Looks like mechanism for controlling the sluice gates. Nice perspective like the fact you can see the river and bridge that adds additional interest. There are several shots there, also thinking looking at the gears through the doorway, using it as a frame. Interesting place to shoot.

Alphabet ... Novel take on the theme, bit of a triptych there! Fits the theme ok for me. As for photoshop it's a never ending learning curve:eek:. Nicely put together Stan.

Sound ... Nice looking rear end there mate;) Bet it sounds nice.... Nice symmetrical shot it's a tricky theme still can't work out what to do for this yet :rolleyes:. Like this shot well thought out mate(y)

Excellent shot Stan, Nice and sharp with plenty of detail, I like bikes too (just wish I was allowed one :( ) (y)

Thanks Chris.

Wow Stan ...that's excellent, I know nothing about bikes but that looks impressive ... a smashing choice for the theme and really well executed.

Thank you Susie. I was struggling with ideas until my bike's exhausts came to mind.

Major catch up from me Stan :rolleyes:
Close up ... Looks good to me, simple and clear, nice detail and great use of DOF. Love the colour that gold is really popping. Nice shot.

Machine ... Looks like mechanism for controlling the sluice gates. Nice perspective like the fact you can see the river and bridge that adds additional interest. There are several shots there, also thinking looking at the gears through the doorway, using it as a frame. Interesting place to shoot.

Alphabet ... Novel take on the theme, bit of a triptych there! Fits the theme ok for me. As for photoshop it's a never ending learning curve:eek:. Nicely put together Stan.

Sound ... Nice looking rear end there mate;) Bet it sounds nice.... Nice symmetrical shot it's a tricky theme still can't work out what to do for this yet :rolleyes:. Like this shot well thought out mate(y)

Thanks Steve for the detailed analysis and comments.

Hi Stan,

sound - ooh I do like that! Nice pov and very sharp. I wish my exhaust looked as good as those! :clap:

Back