weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

Very bold architecture...and if the building looked upright it would look better to me; minor crit, others may disagree.

Very bold architecture...and if the building looked upright it would look better to me; minor crit, others may disagree.

Thanks Martin, only after I post it up here and looked at it in details that I realised the LH side of the building is a bit wonky.

Here's the edited version

Certainly fits the theme Stan, but what an awful looking building, there is a building like this near me, its horrid.

Phil

Blimey! that is a bit bold. weird looking too I must admit ;)

Bold indeed, I like the building as a photography subject but dislike it on the landscape!

Watery - It's a great take on the theme. Oddly enough (and unusually for me), I prefer the standard shot to the long exposures, even the B&W. I think what it is, is that there's so much detail in the top of the boat that there's an incongruence between that an the gentle blur of the LE sea around it. The standard shot works well though.

Bold is on theme, and the composition works for me.

Certainly fits the theme Stan, but what an awful looking building, there is a building like this near me, its horrid.

Phil

Blimey! that is a bit bold. weird looking too I must admit ;)

Bold indeed, I like the building as a photography subject but dislike it on the landscape!

Thanks all. Yes, the architecture is definitely odd and bold compares to its surrounding. On two sides are open playing fields or single story buildings and the other two are low rises or tenement flats. That building just stood out and the reason I thought it would fits this week's theme.

Hi Stan ... That is BOLD, perfect for the theme. Like the dimensions.

There is bold architecture here in London, and yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to get a decent shot of bold structures but it's difficult in the low sun and with so many other building obscuring the view.

Hi Stan ... That is BOLD, perfect for the theme. Like the dimensions.

There is bold architecture here in London, and yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to get a decent shot of bold structures but it's difficult in the low sun and with so many other building obscuring the view.

Nice and bold there Stan - good choice of subject, and I like the edit :)

Thanks David and Lorraine for the kind words.

yep lovely shot, can just hear the sigh as you put your feet up :clap:

Hi, that is a superb building for bold, maybe a little crop of the sky
Relax is a hard subject to convey and this works well enough though not the most exciting

Nice idea, in fact I would have done something similar myself by now if it was more summery. Dare I say it looks everso slightly rigid/regimental.

Morning Stan, Relax fits the theme but with the feet pointing straight up it looks a bit posed and I would lose the sky as it just seems a distraction from the feet, sorry :coat:

Nice idea Stan. I say leave the sky because I think this is effectively a POV of a landscape shot and without it it would be too much sea with no interest. I think the feet lead into that landscape and we can see what you are looking out to sea at. A touch more contrast to give a bit of depth and some saturation of the grass might give it a bit more pop may help the image and I thing a deeper dof as well.

Hi Stan ...I think I've missed commenting for a couple of weeks. Smashing choice of subject for Watery and Bold, I specially like the second original watery shot, it has a very eerie feel to it.

The sea is definitely fascinating to watch so another good choice for Relax, I like the way the sunlight falls across the feet, I don't mind the sky, I think it gives it a good perspective and emphasizes vastness of the sea.

Nice idea Stan. I say leave the sky because I think this is effectively a POV of a landscape shot and without it it would be too much sea with no interest. I think the feet lead into that landscape and we can see what you are looking out to sea at. A touch more contrast to give a bit of depth and some saturation of the grass might give it a bit more pop may help the image and I thing a deeper dof as well.

Thanks Mike for the in-depth comments. Will give that a try later.

Hi Stan ...I think I've missed commenting for a couple of weeks. Smashing choice of subject for Watery and Bold, I specially like the second original watery shot, it has a very eerie feel to it.

The sea is definitely fascinating to watch so another good choice for Relax, I like the way the sunlight falls across the feet, I don't mind the sky, I think it gives it a good perspective and emphasizes vastness of the sea.

Thanks Susie for the catchup comments, it was later afternoon and I really wanted to go out and take the shot as the weather report wasn't great the few days after.

I like the idea. Definitely fits the "relax" theme. I think Mike's comments are right on the money, especially the DoF one. With your feet being so close (unless you're unfeasibly tall) you'd need quite a large aperture to get that distance in focus too. Can't pick up the EXIF data from Photobucket to tell what settings you used.

A nice idea for relaxed, Stan, there is even a bit of sunshine too (y)

Hi Stan

Bold.....my god...where do they find these building designers :eek: I'm sure you posted an edited version but I can't see it :crying: Not exactly my cuppa tea but it sure is Bold !

Relax....lovely idea , I agree about leaving the sky in or you'd just have an expanse of water but would've liked maybe a little more of the legs on show :naughty:

I like the idea. Definitely fits the "relax" theme. I think Mike's comments are right on the money, especially the DoF one. With your feet being so close (unless you're unfeasibly tall) you'd need quite a large aperture to get that distance in focus too. Can't pick up the EXIF data from Photobucket to tell what settings you used.

Thanks Ian, I did tried to get better dof but really struggling with the camera handheld at 1/60, f9 ISO100. Suppose I could've increase the ISO but I'm one of those film oldies you just leave the ISO (ASA) alone!

A nice idea for relaxed, Stan, there is even a bit of sunshine too (y)

Yes, a dry and sunny day for a change.

Hi Stan

Bold.....my god...where do they find these building designers :eek: I'm sure you posted an edited version but I can't see it :crying: Not exactly my cuppa tea but it sure is Bold !

Relax....lovely idea , I agree about leaving the sky in or you'd just have an expanse of water but would've liked maybe a little more of the legs on show :naughty:

Thanks Lynne for the comments.

HI Stan,

Good images,

I like bold, most certainly bold against the subtle landscape with nice colours.

Relax, my ideal relaxation past time, could easily be used for the companions theme also, lovely image

Can't beat relaxing by the sea, regardless of the season!

Hi Stan!
That's a really interesting building.... I like that space on the RH side add something to the image. Was trying to work out what its made out of I take it its not glass? It certainly fits the theme well! I take it that green down the LH face is something to do with some maintenance going on. Its a very striking building. Nice work Stan.

Nice idea Stan..... Relax! The POV is pretty spot on but Mike is right about the DOF needs a big dollop of fstop IMHO because I think it would look much nicer with the fence in focus at least. I don't think you'll get the grass to pop much as its in the shade..... unless you selectively up the saturation of greens and or tickle up the exposure in that area.
That's only nit picking though!

Good Work Stan(y)

HI Stan,

Good images,

I like bold, most certainly bold against the subtle landscape with nice colours.

Relax, my ideal relaxation past time, could easily be used for the companions theme also, lovely image

Thanks Nathan, pleased you like the image.

Can't beat relaxing by the sea, regardless of the season!

Thanks Ruth for the comments.

Hi Stan!
That's a really interesting building.... I like that space on the RH side add something to the image. Was trying to work out what its made out of I take it its not glass? It certainly fits the theme well! I take it that green down the LH face is something to do with some maintenance going on. Its a very striking building. Nice work Stan.

Nice idea Stan..... Relax! The POV is pretty spot on but Mike is right about the DOF needs a big dollop of fstop IMHO because I think it would look much nicer with the fence in focus at least. I don't think you'll get the grass to pop much as its in the shade..... unless you selectively up the saturation of greens and or tickle up the exposure in that area.
That's only nit picking though!

Good Work Stan(y)

Thanks Steve, the building was designed by a Danish architect and cladded in patterned glass, no two panels are the same, to convey the ice and light of the North.

Hi, Stan, wonderful light in Relax. Great idea and the angle works really well. I like the slither of sky . I wonder if crossing your legs over at the ankles.would have emphasised relax. Nice shoes, though.

Cheers.

Reactions: rpn
Hi Stan,

I really like the subject, but I think that it could have been 'bolder' if shot from a bit closer, and from a lower angle, so as to contrast more of the structure against the sky?
Then maybe try to bring out the building's colours in processing?

Perfect choice of subject, though.

Cheers,

Karl

Hi Stan :)

Bold - Now that is a bold architectural statement in that area !!! yes it is a tad wonky but it is nicely placed in the frame and bang on theme :)

Relax - Now I initially thought of doing something like this, but knew I was going to be on my own so dropped the idea, nice straight horizon and a good DoF... nice idea (y)

Reactions: rpn
Hi, Stan, wonderful light in Relax. Great idea and the angle works really well. I like the slither of sky . I wonder if crossing your legs over at the ankles.would have emphasised relax. Nice shoes, though.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy for the comments and for the shoes too. :) Pleased you like the shot.

Hi Stan,

I really like the subject, but I think that it could have been 'bolder' if shot from a bit closer, and from a lower angle, so as to contrast more of the structure against the sky?
Then maybe try to bring out the building's colours in processing?

Perfect choice of subject, though.

Cheers,

Karl

Thanks Karl, excellent comments there about the low viewpoint and I'll put that into practice and see how I get on. (y)

Back