weekly rpn's 2015 Project 52 - Week 52 CHRISTMAS Added

sorry got a bit behind on all threads at moment.

machine: Great shot, I have no idea what it does or what it is but it looks good and matches the theme, only thing which you can't help is the white out in the sky, wonder if it would be worth a revisit with some grad filters?

alphabet: very cool take on theme, I'm a sucker for anything automotive, its nicely lit and nice and sharp, great job

sound: I bet that makes a hell of a Sound! Excellent

Experiment: Awesome watch shot, I have no idea how to do it but the more and more i see the results such as yours the more it makes me want to try, such a sharp and detailed image, lit well.

Heat: 2 birds with one stone springs to mind, a chilli and a flame, what more is there to say other than the colours and moodyness you have created with light makes the image very effective.

Reactions: rpn
Hi Stan, thanks for visiting my thread. I haven't completed my catch-up yet but I thought I really should return the compliment.

Firstly, I really like your pylon image for Pattern - it works well and I'm very envious as they make such great subjects but we have none over here! Equally the leaf skeleton for Fragile is perfect for the theme, your seascape foe Scenic and the 10-stop seascape for Watery are all excellent, and I can almost hear the racket from those exhaust pipes for your Sound image. I also really like Experiment, both for the interesting watch and the successful trial of the new technique, and Heat is absolutely spot on for the theme and really well executed.

I look forward to keeping up with your thread in the coming weeks :)

sorry got a bit behind on all threads at moment.

machine: Great shot, I have no idea what it does or what it is but it looks good and matches the theme, only thing which you can't help is the white out in the sky, wonder if it would be worth a revisit with some grad filters?

alphabet: very cool take on theme, I'm a sucker for anything automotive, its nicely lit and nice and sharp, great job

sound: I bet that makes a hell of a Sound! Excellent

Experiment: Awesome watch shot, I have no idea how to do it but the more and more i see the results such as yours the more it makes me want to try, such a sharp and detailed image, lit well.

Heat: 2 birds with one stone springs to mind, a chilli and a flame, what more is there to say other than the colours and moodyness you have created with light makes the image very effective.

Thanks Nathan for the catch up and in depth critique. (y)

Hi Stan, thanks for visiting my thread. I haven't completed my catch-up yet but I thought I really should return the compliment.

Firstly, I really like your pylon image for Pattern - it works well and I'm very envious as they make such great subjects but we have none over here! Equally the leaf skeleton for Fragile is perfect for the theme, your seascape foe Scenic and the 10-stop seascape for Watery are all excellent, and I can almost hear the racket from those exhaust pipes for your Sound image. I also really like Experiment, both for the interesting watch and the successful trial of the new technique, and Heat is absolutely spot on for the theme and really well executed.

I look forward to keeping up with your thread in the coming weeks :)

Thanks Andrea for dropping by and the in depth comments.

Hi

That works well. I tried to do a similar thing in Hyde Park ... distant unrecognisable figures, but no luck. This definitely says Figures, and the OOF FG helps.

Hi Stan, well done on setting fire to your chilli :clap: It's a great composition and really says heat in lots of ways (y)

A good spot for Figures, I would have been tempted to crop out some of the sky, but I do like the way you've managed to get quite a sharp focus on the figures and blurred the foreground to give a really clear idea of distance.

Hi

That works well. I tried to do a similar thing in Hyde Park ... distant unrecognisable figures, but no luck. This definitely says Figures, and the OOF FG helps.

Thanks David. Although it was a sunny day but the beach was pretty deserted and I was lucky to caught these two.

Hi Stan, well done on setting fire to your chilli :clap: It's a great composition and really says heat in lots of ways (y)

A good spot for Figures, I would have been tempted to crop out some of the sky, but I do like the way you've managed to get quite a sharp focus on the figures and blurred the foreground to give a really clear idea of distance.
Thanks Elaine. My thoughts behind the image is to have the figures as tiny as possible but still recognisable as people hence the large foreground and 'big' sky.

Hi Stan

Figures....love the tilt shift effect on this, really effective as are the strong colors ...not a drop of crit on this one , good work mister :clap:

Heat......gotta like this one really haven't I :) & you're right , getting fresh chillies to stay alight is not easy..even with half a can of lighter fluid ! & I'm soooo jealous that you captured the smoke , really sets the image off , nice light on the front of the chilli & great exposure on the flame :clap: Not quite so keen on the floating though...sorry :(

Hi, I really like that although the figures are small they really do stand out, I like the feeling of isolation, perhaps a decrease in the saturation/vibrance but thats really picky (y)

Hi Stan,

Figures - I'd missed this one when you first posted it. I like it a lot, well on theme and even though the figures are small, they do stand out in the shot - good stuff (y)

Hi Stan,

Figures - I'd missed this one when you first posted it. I like it a lot, well on theme and even though the figures are small, they do stand out in the shot - good stuff (y)

Thanks Lorraine

Hi Stan

Figures - Liking this one mate, the Tilt/shift works really well to help them stand out, liking the colours too :)

Thanks Dean for the good words and glad you like the shot.

Hi Stan

Figures......I half wish the people were a tad larger in the frame, but then the TS treatment certainly makes them stand out :)

Household....I'm struggling too (shocker...not), but I like the first shot. That's a lot of households in not a lot of space!

Hi Stan

Figures......I half wish the people were a tad larger in the frame, but then the TS treatment certainly makes them stand out :)

Household....I'm struggling too (shocker...not), but I like the first shot. That's a lot of households in not a lot of space!

Thanks Ruth. It was intentional to keep the figures small and in focus and every thing else minimal and blurry.

Good to know the first shot fits. I wasn't sure and hence the reason for the Homer 'Head of Household' shot.

Alphabet - I like the simplicity of this. At first I thought the A should make the B and C but I quite the juxtaposition (I have to use that word at least once a year) between them

Sound - Good idea for the theme. I feel a touch more exposure on the underneath of the bike would help lift the subject slightly.

Experiment - Focus stacking can be quite addictive so watch (no pun intended) out. As an experiment I have to say you’ve done a pretty good job especially with a subject with so many lines in it. Nice one.

Heat - I did something similar last year and this works well. The lighting against the black has been particularly well handled.

Figures - A very simple and minimalist yet very effective image for the theme. The addition of the tilt/shift effect is also in keeping with the subject

Household - Those are very different images. Although not a Simpsons fan, there’s something that draws me to #2. I think it must be the bright yellow of Homer’s head.

Number one for me Stan, nice, fits the theme well.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Alphabet - I like the simplicity of this. At first I thought the A should make the B and C but I quite the juxtaposition (I have to use that word at least once a year) between them

Sound - Good idea for the theme. I feel a touch more exposure on the underneath of the bike would help lift the subject slightly.

Experiment - Focus stacking can be quite addictive so watch (no pun intended) out. As an experiment I have to say you’ve done a pretty good job especially with a subject with so many lines in it. Nice one.

Heat - I did something similar last year and this works well. The lighting against the black has been particularly well handled.

Figures - A very simple and minimalist yet very effective image for the theme. The addition of the tilt/shift effect is also in keeping with the subject

Household - Those are very different images. Although not a Simpsons fan, there’s something that draws me to #2. I think it must be the bright yellow of Homer’s head.

Thanks Peter for the all the comments and nice words. very much appreciated and encouraging.

I like the brutalist nature of the first pair of blocks.

Figures - You've isolated the figures nicely Stan, I'd like to see a more panoramic crop too losing a bit of the sky but that's just being picky.

Household - well interpreted with the spotting of the tower blocks and nicely composed too (y)
And a nice fun shot with the spotlight on Homer :)

I like the brutalist nature of the first pair of blocks.

Thanks David, there are a few of these tower blocks around town of similar architecture design and so happen I was involved in constructing a couple of these blocks being a civil engineer back in the mid 70's.

Head of the Household, who doesn't love Homer :)

There tower blocks work well also, I'd like to see the tighter crop one in B&W.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy.

Figures - You've isolated the figures nicely Stan, I'd like to see a more panoramic crop too losing a bit of the sky but that's just being picky.

Household - well interpreted with the spotting of the tower blocks and nicely composed too (y)
And a nice fun shot with the spotlight on Homer :)

Thanks Jill, appreciated.

Hi Stan,
Just Re Sound...
Noticed your comments about packing up bikes... I'm on the verge of that too :( after a lot of years and riding since I was big enough to reach the pedals, but now after snapping my Achilles starting a bike and being wiped out by a car a while ago I'm thinking it might be time.... Still thinking....

Anyhow
Experiment.... really like this, looks like your experiment really worked well its something I've wanted to try too. Bit of bevel as mentioned but I'm sure that's easily fixed!??
I don't think I could ever own such a beautiful watch I'd probably trash it in 30mins normally i'd remember I'm still wearing it when lifting a gearbox out or something equally ludicrous! Great looking watch, and a really pukka movement!

Heat.... Not quite sure how you set fire to a chillie? to my mind it would probably involve petrol! Love the way the light runs down the edge of this, great lighting ... wonder whether I would cool off some of the light (highlight) on the top RH side just to give the impression the lights coming from the LH side only. Love the wisp of smoke rising up off the tip and the nice flame. I can just see a dark line running across the tip of the flame, but its hard to see. Nice shot I like it(y)

I'll be back to comment on Figures and Household later Stan!

Household: Both good ideas. Lighting just right on Homer (y) Tower blocks prefer the cropped in version emphasis how many are crammed into the space, sky a bit bland but nowt you can do with the weather really, but it sort of fits in with the tower block. I like the more modern blocks as well and they have a much brighter sky to suit the image..

Machine reshoot: Black & White works well and the machinery is definitely what you focus on. The colour version I kept getting distracted by the weeds on the left hand side. The third image some great detail in the wheel showing it's age.

Back