weekly rpn's 52 Photo Challenge 2022 - Week 52 SHOWCASE and COMPLETE

Thanks, Beb. I have tried in camera technique before but not very successfully. This is a simple Photoshop effect. Here are the steps if you like to try it out.

Open image in PS.
Duplicate background layer
Select the new background copy layer -> Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur
Set angle to 90° (vertical blur) and set distance to suit (blurriness!)
Add Layer Mask to Background Copy Layer
Select Gradient Tool (G) with background colour as Black
Click and drag cursor from bottom upward to where you want blur to start. or down from top if you want the top of tree in focus.

Good luck!
That's interesting, thank you. I don't have Photoshop, but I do have Affinity.

Years ago I did have a go at blurring the sea - it looked stripey anyway so I just helped it along a bit. I didn't use the gradient tool at all, so that is an interesting twist that would make it look more 'real'. I had a sailboat in my image which I masked out and didn't blur. Twice I put that pic into competitions and twice they thought I had added the boat in :rolleyes: I deliberately waited for it to sail into the right spot and everything!!

At some point I will have a go with Affinity and try the gradient tool instead of blurring it all the way through - great idea.

A couple of ideas from me this week. First is a set of contemporary sculptures in light silver grey granite known as 'Windows To The Sea". The Sculpture is located at the end of the Beach Esplanade overlooking the North Sea close to an accident black spot, with the sea claiming many life’s over the years. These shots were taken in late evening just when the sun was setting.

Week 17 Hole

Windows To The Sea by Stan, on Flickr

Your chosen one is the best Stan.
A hole that large makes you want to look into/through it.
The subtle sunset highlights the wind farm.

When I zoomed into the chosen image I could see the line of wind turbines, would it be possible to get the image where the are inside the "hole" without crossing the edges? I wonder how the sculptor decided they were finished, I would be forever chipping away trying to finesse the look.

I like your image Stan, how the shape of the hole is kind of mimicked by the golden light in the clouds and how you can just make out the line of wind turbines(?) in the distance through the hole in the sculpture. I looks like you put a lot of thought into the composition.

Your chosen one is the best Stan.
A hole that large makes you want to look into/through it.
The subtle sunset highlights the wind farm.

Thanks, Peter

When I zoomed into the chosen image I could see the line of wind turbines, would it be possible to get the image where the are inside the "hole" without crossing the edges? I wonder how the sculptor decided they were finished, I would be forever chipping away trying to finesse the look.

Thanks, Stuart. The wind farm is a small one with only 11 turbines and that's all of them within the 'hole'.

I like your image Stan, how the shape of the hole is kind of mimicked by the golden light in the clouds and how you can just make out the line of wind turbines(?) in the distance through the hole in the sculpture. I looks like you put a lot of thought into the composition.

Thank you, Bill. The sculptures were there a few years before the turbines were installed. I thought the time of day and some odd objects within the hole would add some interest to the image.

Nicely composed and in lovely light, the first is my favourite. I also like the way the wind turbines pull you into the shot.

That’s a really nice picture, the wind turbines really draw the eye.

Thanks, Simon.

Nicely composed and in lovely light, the first is my favourite. I also like the way the wind turbines pull you into the shot.

Thanks, Pete. Yes indeed, the turbines add some interests to the image.

I'm with you on the chosen image - a nice idea to frame the wind turbines.

Fascinating sculptures and I like your chosen shot best with the evening sun and view through the hole.

I do enjoy the 52 for these sort of insights into areas around the UK/world.

Good choice of time.. it was an effort to get out of bed this morning, although watching the sun come up on a desolate beach is great once you get there.
A lovely composition with great use of foreground. Nice one.

That works perfectly Stan. Hope you're enjoying your holiday - not long for our next one!

Perfect for the theme and at sunset time too! Great shot. Really like the movement in the ball and sand at their feet.
Have a great time!

Looks like a nice place for a holiday as long as the sports are not compulsory. Well captured echo what Bebop says.

Pete

That works perfectly Stan. Hope you're enjoying your holiday - not long for our next one!

Perfect for the theme and at sunset time too! Great shot. Really like the movement in the ball and sand at their feet.
Have a great time!

Looks like a nice place for a holiday as long as the sports are not compulsory. Well captured echo what Bebop says.
Pete

Thanks everyone. Weather been good so far, sunny and hot in the mid 20's.

Aaahh, sand and sun...soon I keep telling myself....sooooonnnnn....1653146827234.png

Good capture Stan.

Reactions: rpn
I think it fits the bill Stan. You've captured something mundane in a creative way that works well both from a colour perspective an a compositional perspective.

Good take on both the theme and tech. No sneaky red numbers in yours!!! :whistle:

Fits the bill. It does stretch the monochrome theme just a touch but I will let you off:)

Back