weekly Sharp's 52 of 2015 - Wk 16 'Experiment' added

Hiya Paul, some good images there. Your first two have some spectacular colours captured with the light - perfect time to be shooting those sort of images. #3 is a touch flat in comparison, purely down to the light which you've captured in the first two rather than any particular failing on the third one.

I think Steve (@69Bonni ) has nailed it with his comments - positive and crit. I can completely understand what you wanted to do with your tree/field shot as I've had similar ideas. Yours actually works better than the ones I've attempted, but I think the trick here is to make the branches less of the subject and more of a frame... which means they do need something else to... erm... frame!

I love the colours you've captured in your sunset shot. I think you're doing very well with LR/PS so far... keep it up!

Three great shots for Scenic Paul! I can't make my mind up between the sunburst and the barge. Both are well composed and have some lovely colours in them, although I think both might benefit from having the telegraph poles cloned out. On balance I think it has to be the barge, simply because it makes me feel warmer and I've had enough cold and snow these last couple of weeks :p

I was pretty disappointed with all of companion shots this weekend. However I have learnt by my mistakes. It seems if nothing else this challenge will get me to take my camera off my tripod and pay more attention to shutter speed. I like the composition of this shot its just a shame its not very sharp.

Companions by paulsharp738, on Flickr

Hi Paul, not very sharp and a little dark on my monitor. On the one hand it is quite tight but yet there are distractions at the top and left end of the fame. But keep going - "disappointment" as you put it, usually does not last long

Hey Paul.... New visitor to your thread! [emoji16] you've got some great captures so far - really like the scenic shot with the knackered gate, the sun is lovely in it and it had never occurred to me that I'd find a bent gate so pleasing to look at!
Companions: love the laughing duck! As you say, it is a little soft, more noticeable on the brown one, but not enough to detract from the overall image for me - good shot[emoji4]

Hi Paul, not very sharp and a little dark on my monitor. On the one hand it is quite tight but yet there are distractions at the top and left end of the fame. But keep going - "disappointment" as you put it, usually does not last long

Hi David, thanks for your comments, I have purposely underexposed the shot during PP and then turned up the exposure on main subjects only, perhaps I didn't pull it off so well.

As you say, the sharpness is a shame but nevertheless the picture has interest due to the perceived playfulness of the female duck appearing to make the male laugh. So in summary: Close, as they say, but no cigar. I still like it though.

Like the way the male duck has a smirk on his face! :) (I struggle with sharpness so can feel your pain!)

160th isn't too slow :thinking:

Yeah, one of the only shots I took that wasn't to slow, unfortunately I was using f/4.0 and wasn't focussed on these two (I have cropped massively). I was unhappy about uploading it really but I didn't think I would have time to go out again this week, and my camera has to go in for a repair. So rather than submit late I decided to lump it and upload.

Good attempt at companions - as said before little dark and the duck at the top could do with going away :)

Hi Paul,

I like the idea. As others have said there are some distractions - the duck at the top and the beak on the lower rhs, but I've founnd it thricky to get good shots of birds on water, so well done for trying :)

Hi Paul :)

Bliss - Mmmmmm that looks scrummy, a well lit shot showing super detail and and great colours - nuf said (y)

Fragile - Great detail again, not so sure on the angle, but well lit and a great black background :)

Companions - YAY !!! another duck shot :)

Crit covered by yourself... BUT the main thing for me is you have spotted the problems, started to plan a way forward, the challenge is certainly doing it's job already, look forward to seeing your thoughts evolve (y)

Hi, can't argue with swans fitting the theme - very elegant birds. I like the close crop too

Nice pose, nice close up, Paul (y)

Yeah, I like the close crop and nice flowing lines.

Never easy metering for white feathers and they do look a little grey, but overall a nice submission.

Cheers.

Yeah, I like the close crop and nice flowing lines.

Never easy metering for white feathers and they do look a little grey, but overall a nice submission.

Cheers.

Thanks, although I think the grey is down to my dodgy PP, I tried to bring some detail back but at the same time I created some grey. I'll have another go..:)

Hi again Paul.
Elegant: tight crop really suits this shot, and you certainly have to give elegant to the swan [emoji4]

Watery: little too much FG distraction in the first shot for me. Really like second one though, great milkiness to the water and the misty BG compliments it well

Hi Paul.
The second watery shot is definitely the one for me.
Where's it taken?

Hi Ruth, thanks for comment. The location was Knypersley Reservoir in Stoke on Trent.

Fragile- a good idea, I do particularly like the diagonal. Think the DOF Is Ok but would lose the stray bit at the top
Scenic -I prefer 1 with its starburst & lovely colours
:)

Some really nice images to start of your 52 Paul. Particularly like bliss and your elegant shot! The pose that you managed to capture the swan is really lends itself to the theme.

As with some of the other comments it has to be your second watery shot thats the best for me. The longer exposure works well.

Lovely milky water in second image. Some foreground distraction in first shot. Like the way the mist is portrayed in second shot also.

Back