weekly Shiny's 2021 52 Attempt

Out and about
The high contrast really suits this. Nice and sharp too.

Out and about
The high contrast really suits this. Nice and sharp too.

Yes, it is sharp. I have finally got to grips with this lens (Nikkor 80-400mm) after thinking for months that it must be defective as things were never as sharp as other folks images taken with the same one. As usual, a poor workman was blaming his tools. I think I've got it now.

A quick trip to London and here is the arch of Wembley Stadium

I could have gone for the Negative Space on this one but I think there will be better pictures before this technique runs out.

Shapes by ShinySU, on Flickr

by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Definitely lots and lots of shapes in there. I've never seen Wembley close up so wouldn't have identified it.

Shapes
Well there's nowt wrong with that. The arch frames the to of the image well.

Thanks for the comments. I would have liked to get the bottom of the arch on the right to line up with the vertical line of the building and the fountain so linking the whole thing in one large arc but it just wasn't possible. Line up the arch and the fountain is wrong, line up the fountain and the arch doesn't line up.

Numbers.

It's the markings on a telegraph pole.

Numbers by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Ah, the good old 9m light. In the ground in 2007 unless I'm misremembering. Wonder when it was last tested :)

Spent 10 years climbing these and have an ongoing project that some poor souls will eventually get to see in the zine exchange. Love how you've completely excluded the background and filled the frame with the numbers. Right up my (sad) street.

(y)

Last edited:
Ah, the good old 9m light. In the ground in 2007 unless I'm misremembering. Wonder when it was last tested :)

Spent 10 years climbing these and have an ongoing project that some poor souls will eventually get to see in the zine exchange. Love how you've completely excluded the background and filled the fame with the numbers. Right up my (sad) street.

(y)

I have been enlightened :)

These things always mean something.
1000 years from now, archeologists will be trying to understand this weird language ! ;)

Nicely shot getting that straight like that, especially with a 23mm. Carefully shot to minimize the amount of manipulation I guess.

Cool shot for numbers.

Thanks for looking.

These things always mean something.
1000 years from now, archeologists will be trying to understand this weird language ! ;)

Nicely shot getting that straight like that, especially with a 23mm. Carefully shot to minimize the amount of manipulation I guess.

I always try to do that. Deep down, I always think photomanipulation is the sign of a poor photographer; of course if that's the case, that makes me a reasonably poor photographer :(

In a 1000 years time an archaeologist will be defined as someone someone trying to open a 990 year old can of beans before he/she starves to death in a radiation-ridden, toxic soup. Or perhaps not (I'm trying to be an optimist). :):):):)

Last edited:
Numbers
Yup, I like that. I like the shadow area's in the carvings and the texture of the wood.

Interesting take on the theme Martin. I like how you have filled the frame with your subject to really concentrate the eye.

Toy

Yes, here she is again, this time with her signalling ring. When Juno wants something, she picks up this ring and stares at you. She has no interest in playing with this, it is purely there for her to get your attention and once she has this, she drops the ring and stares at you without it, you then have to decide whether she wants a drink (she won't drink old water, it has to be new from the tap), something to eat, a tennis ball, or something else, whatever that might be, you have to guess.

Yes, I know there is a lot of clutter in the picture which has to be ignored as Juno doesn't pose like this to order and you never know when she is going to do it.

Toy by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely pooch pic Stan :)

Mesmerising eyes there Martin!

I do like how pets have these mannerisms about them that only make sense to them. You just know that if only they could speak they would have a much easier life. I think that's what I like about this image.

Those eyes!

I really like the side in the light, side in shadow thing.

Wait a minute, I'm Stan? :giggle: :LOL:

See how things can go terribly wrong with a comma in the wrong place, or not at all :), it's why legal documents have no punctuation.

Mesmerising eyes there Martin!

I do like how pets have these mannerisms about them that only make sense to them. You just know that if only they could speak they would have a much easier life. I think that's what I like about this image.
Those eyes!

I really like the side in the light, side in shadow thing.

She does have quite weird eyes. In the dark, her eyes glow green like a cat's, my other dog's eyes glow yellow; it's quite creepy in the garden, in the dark, with a torch when they both look at you and all you can see is a pattern of multi-coloured eyes.

Toys
Great image, can definitely agree that you don't know what they want, and it becomes a guessing and elimination game. I didn't even think about our Lurcher Cody's box of toys as an option. It's piled high but doesn't see much action now that he has realised he is 15 years old!

Toys
Great image, can definitely agree that you don't know what they want, and it becomes a guessing and elimination game. I didn't even think about our Lurcher Cody's box of toys as an option. It's piled high but doesn't see much action now that he has realised he is 15 years old!

Ah bless. Not that I ever wish for time to move on but there's something very sweet about an elderly dog.

She is gorgeous. She reminds me of the Australian Shepherd Dogs with those eyes - can't remember what they're called now - kelpie?

I know that guessing game - we have it with our cat all the time :ROFLMAO: The worst is the number of times we open and close doors for her :)

She is gorgeous. She reminds me of the Australian Shepherd Dogs with those eyes - can't remember what they're called now - kelpie?

I know that guessing game - we have it with our cat all the time :ROFLMAO: The worst is the number of times we open and close doors for her :)

Apparently she is a husky/collie cross. Is that a Hollie or a Cusky or another of those silly portmanteau words that people use to call their mongrel by something more in keeping with their perceived status -- cockapoo (Poodle/parrot cross), Labradoodle (gentle dog that suddenly bites your legs) German Pointbasset (just made that up, would be an odd-looking dog). I just call her what she is -- a pain in the arse sometimes (but we wouldn't be without her).

Numbers
Initially missed this theme image so this comment will be out of step, nice details on the numbers with it filling the frame. Do you think there was some burnishing tool used to add the characters?

Apparently she is a husky/collie cross. Is that a Hollie or a Cusky or another of those silly portmanteau words that people use to call their mongrel by something more in keeping with their perceived status -- cockapoo (Poodle/parrot cross), Labradoodle (gentle dog that suddenly bites your legs) German Pointbasset (just made that up, would be an odd-looking dog). I just call her what she is -- a pain in the arse sometimes (but we wouldn't be without her).
That made me chuckle :LOL: I expect she's highly intelligent.

Actually I'm with Juno on the water straight from the tap. It always tastes funny if it's been left for a while. My cat likes to drink water out of anything but her bowl.

This is a pressure shot as I really had/have nothing for Artificial as everything I have or see around and about is genuine. Anyway, here is a picture of a fake fish alongside real fish. The fish is called Al and he is into his art so we refer to him as Arty Fish Al. :p

Artificial by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Patterns

I wanted to put both these in as the car park picture is basically one single pattern but the garden picture has small patterns all over it, patterns you can't see from the ground,

The middle of the garden, the bit surrounded by the light line of grass is a wild flower meadow that has yet to come into bloom.

Patterns-4 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Patterns-3 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Two interesting shots - I rather like the garden shot if I had to choose. Probably just me but drone shots tend to make me feel a bit dizzy :D

Two interesting shots - I rather like the garden shot if I had to choose. Probably just me but drone shots tend to make me feel a bit dizzy :D

Me too as I'm a bit afraid of heights. I play video games and there is always something up high and my stomach turns a little even though I'm just sitting in a chair.

I prefer the graphic nature of the car park. Especially as it's a view you never see.

Rare enough to actually see it without any cars in it too :)

Back