SilentSea's 52 - 2018

As am I! Fingers crossed for some good ones... or at least ones in focus ;)

Week 1 - Gate

1 - Gate by Silent Sea, on Flickr

Canon EOS 50D, EFS 24mm, 1/100, f9, ISO 100

So week 1 was upon us. I took the weatherman’s advice and ventured out on Sunday, surprisingly he was spot on so managed to find some rare January blue sky! Nothing too exciting this week just literal and simple.

Nice light. I might have been tempted to crop in a little closer on the gatehouse and lose some of the stuff on the right, but then you'd have lost another gate:D;) You need to set up a Link to this thread so people can comment. Have a look in the 365 &52 forum header under "how to" Good start to the year and sunshine too:)

I found this the hard way ... no link on the main thread. ;)

Interesting image ... seems to have light coming from different directions ... nice effect. (y)

I'm presuming the subject to be the gate house / gateway. I think I may have had that larger in the frame (although then you miss the light on the trees).
I may have played with lightening up the shadows too as the detail within the gateway is difficult to see.
Is that supposed to be a ghost in the gateway? ;)

Gate inception. A gate within a gate. I like it.

Indeed, there's quite a few gates in there!

I found this the hard way ... no link on the main thread. ;)

Interesting image ... seems to have light coming from different directions ... nice effect. (y)

Think I got quite lucky with the light, it was around 1430 but perfect conditions.

Nice light. I might have been tempted to crop in a little closer on the gatehouse and lose some of the stuff on the right, but then you'd have lost another gate:D;) You need to set up a Link to this thread so people can comment. Have a look in the 365 &52 forum header under "how to" Good start to the year and sunshine too:)

I'm presuming the subject to be the gate house / gateway. I think I may have had that larger in the frame (although then you miss the light on the trees).
I may have played with lightening up the shadows too as the detail within the gateway is difficult to see.
Is that supposed to be a ghost in the gateway? ;)

Yeah I did try try a few different crops but settled for this version. Had some taken from slightly further out so the tree trunk was visible to the right, however this seemed distracting. Then had a few concentrated mainly on the gatehouse however I found the original version version more pleasing, think it creates a fuller scene.

The gateway is quite dark however couldn't find an ideal way to lighten just that area very well. Did dodge it a little, but yeah it's very dark. The ghost is a great spot, didn't make that connection!

Thanks all for the comments, I'll ensure I add a link next time!

That's a substantial gate, good subject with the theme and I like the dappled light on it.

Bang on theme for gate, and nice light and colours!

Week 1 - Perhaps concentrating on just the gatehouse may have have been better but with low sun this time of year needed the light on the grass and trees to lift it. Meets theme, several times.

Week 2 - People

2 - People by Silent Sea, on Flickr

50mm, f 7.1, 1/125, ISO 800

Not really done much street photography so went out to try it. Was expecting to go for a black and white shot but then found this guy with his blue coat against the red brickwork and knew I was going for colour. Not quite people, more person but I'm hoping you'll let me off.

Nice colour contract between the blue and the subtile reds of the brick. It may have been better if the guy was at an intersection of "line of 3rds" and you had a bit more of the column on the right. Also shame about the xmas decs still being up, it meant to be bad luck.

Pete

A very good shot, but, for me, a single person doesnt quite fit the brief of people, sorry.

Great contrast between the blue coat and the red brickwork, I'm glad you didn't go for B&W!

... fab image. Glad you didn't B&W it or alter it's longitude. (y)

People or as mentioned person, good find for the theme and the chaps bright blue coat really stands out against the red brick, not normally a fan of these kind of shots but I do think you have done well with the composition.

Well done for being brave and having a go, I agree the blue stands out well against the red and the overall image works well.

Back