Simon's 52 in 2021

I'm fine with the sponge to be honest, it's like you have the problem and the solution in the same shot.

It works much better blown up in Flickr, the reflections in the bubbles really pop out then.
:ty:

Yep - works well as is for me :)

I quite like the washed up seaweed. Not particularly dirty granted, but it makes the slipway look dirty.

No problem with the sponge either, would maybe have filled the frame with the whole washing up bowl/sink, good idea for the theme

No problem with the sponge either, would maybe have filled the frame with the whole washing up bowl/sink, good idea for the theme

Thanks. I did try but I couldn’t get the light quite right [emoji853]

Dirty
I think I'd like to see a couple more bits of crockery poking through the bubbles. It's a nice idea and sides fill the frame.

I quite like the sponge included. Works well for the theme.

I missed your nearby shot ( I think I tried to take a week off [emoji23]) - the pier shot is my favourite.

A nice set for the theme. The coloured pebbles one is my fave :)

I really like your first two - especially the in colour version. The nice early/late light really shows off the texture of the background.

I really like your first two - especially the in colour version. The nice early/late light really shows off the texture of the background.

Thanks [emoji4] - it was early (ish) morning light this morning

Stones
I like the colour pebbles, but the black and white is a close second.
A slight vignette might help to highlight the main interest in the shot.

Stones
I like the colour pebbles, but the black and white is a close second.
A slight vignette might help to highlight the main interest in the shot.

Thanks - and thanks for the tip. I’ll have a play with that [emoji106]

I like the colour stone image No.1 but also quite like the one with the bench but the light is a little harsh, I'd revisit it sometime it's a nice view

I like the one with the bench looking out to see. Possibly, I'd crop a small bit off the left and tone down the highlights a little.

I think you've got some really nice images there but I do prefer the one you chose for the main thread, it has a lovely 'open space' feel to it and that winter sunlight has a fantastic quality. I may have move left and back a bit to try and get the whole of the shadow in the frame from the stone(?).

I like the coloured stones in the sun on the rock surface. If not that particular compo and PoV, then perhaps something lower and closer. Just a thought. :)

I like the coloured stones in the sun on the rock surface. If not that particular compo and PoV, then perhaps something lower and closer. Just a thought. :)

Thanks. I was a little concerned about the shadows so perhaps you’re right a slightly different POV might have been better [emoji106]

Thanks all for the comments on the bench photo - I quite liked this one for various reasons. It's a nice peaceful spot. For the theme, the stone (obviously), rock on the beach, the islands you can see are quite rocky although not particularly evident in the photo so local knowledge required [note to self, not everyone knows where these photos are taken], but the light was challenging.
I like the colour stone image No.1 but also quite like the one with the bench but the light is a little harsh, I'd revisit it sometime it's a nice view

Thanks (y)

I like the one with the bench looking out to see. Possibly, I'd crop a small bit off the left and tone down the highlights a little.

Thank you - I'd already cropped it a bit - there's a red do poo bin just to the left edge which rather spoiled the view! I'll go back and play with the highlights a bit too

I think you've got some really nice images there but I do prefer the one you chose for the main thread, it has a lovely 'open space' feel to it and that winter sunlight has a fantastic quality. I may have move left and back a bit to try and get the whole of the shadow in the frame from the stone(?).

Thanks - Good point about the stone shadow. It's the little things :)

Lots to chose from,
but your chosen one is my favorite.

Torn between #4 & #5. You've caught a decent sky in #4, which wasn't available in #5, but the monolith does really stand out.

As you've posted a selection, it would be interesting to read your thoughts on them and why you chose the one you did.

Torn between #4 & #5. You've caught a decent sky in #4, which wasn't available in #5, but the monolith does really stand out.

As you've posted a selection, it would be interesting to read your thoughts on them and why you chose the one you did.
Thank you!
This section of coast is not from Cardiff in the Vale of Glamorgan and close to home. We walk here regularly. I hadn't gone out specifically to take photos either generally or with the theme in mind, but as always I had my camera with me. It's a rocky stretch of coast, and idly looking about I saw some smaller stones on a bigger rock. I took (and quickly discarded) a couple of shots as they weren't that interesting but then the "stones" on a stone idea came into my head. I think it works quite well, both the colour and B&W, although my preference is towards the colour version. Either felt the like the obvious choice for the theme photo, but the others I took for various reasons. 3 and 4 have (to me) nice lines although I'd want to try and bring the shadows out of the rock in 3 a bit more. 4 has the nicer colours and as you say a nicer sky and an obvious rock and stone theme.
But when I thought about it 5 kept tugging me despite some obvious negatives. It's overly hazy, it's more into the light than I'd like, as Jim said I could have got all the shadow in the standing stone or cropped it a bit tighter. But what sold it to me was the positives.
The tree on the left and bushes on the right frame the gap nicely. You can interpret the standing stone as a stone or a rock. The beach is rocky, the islands are rocky although you can't see that clearly I admit, and the empty bench looking out over the sea shouts to me - peace and tranquility. You can sit here and imagine anything you want to. And that's I think what sold it to me.

Last edited:
Dirty - I like the inclusion of the sponge.
Stones - I quite like the pebbles but the monolith stands out more so I think it was the right one for the main thread

Dirty.

I had something similar in mind, but it lacked what yours has. Mine looked crap, but yours is nicely done.

Stone.

All good. I like the coloured pebbles the best. Nowt wrong with your selected picture though.

Dirty.

I had something similar in mind, but it lacked what yours has. Mine looked crap, but yours is nicely done.

Stone.

All good. I like the coloured pebbles the best. Nowt wrong with your selected picture though.

Thanks [emoji4]

Dirty - I like the inclusion of the sponge.
Stones - I quite like the pebbles but the monolith stands out more so I think it was the right one for the main thread

Ta
Thank you [emoji106]

A nice selection.. I like the pebbles but think your choice of the monolith is the best of the bunch.

Back