Simon's 52 in 2021

Overloaded on pairs!

The most obvious pair (2 buildings) isn't that clear on first glance but spending a moment or two looking over the image reveals more. Also nice to see a bright and sunny image after all this grey we've been having.

Thanks. I think the bright day made this shot - certainly a change after all the cruddy weather we’ve had. Haven’t had this camera long, and very few sunny days so far to show what it can do.

Snappers Choice
Super sharp image, your added vignette definitely helps to focus your attention

Pair
You managed to achieve many images for this theme, all of which meet the criteria. I do like the benches for the social distancing aspect, though the buildings at the end of the pier is my favourite

Benches for me too - although possibly a little magenta on my screen?

Thanks - This was taken with Fuji's Velvia film simulation which gives a slightly more vivid look. It may be due to that.

Pair
A good set of photos. My pick would be the benches, but they're all worthy for the theme.

Pairs and pairs.. a nice selection of shots. I think your choice for the main thread is the best composition for me.

Blimey you went pair crazy this week, obviously lots of inspiration on your walk this week. They all tick the theme but my favourite would have to be the pier with the 2 buildings at the end, stunning colours and nice composition.
I like the benches, definitely a pair, back to back like that.
Overloaded on pairs!

The most obvious pair (2 buildings) isn't that clear on first glance but spending a moment or two looking over the image reveals more. Also nice to see a bright and sunny image after all this grey we've been having.
Thanks. I think the bright day made this shot - certainly a change after all the cruddy weather we’ve had. Haven’t had this camera long, and very few sunny days so far to show what it can do.
Snappers Choice
Super sharp image, your added vignette definitely helps to focus your attention

Pair
You managed to achieve many images for this theme, all of which meet the criteria. I do like the benches for the social distancing aspect, though the buildings at the end of the pier is my favourite
Benches for me too - although possibly a little magenta on my screen?

If only there had been a pair of people on them as well!
Pair 2 for me although the benches come in a close second
Pair
A good set of photos. My pick would be the benches, but they're all worthy for the theme.
Pairs and pairs.. a nice selection of shots. I think your choice for the main thread is the best composition for me.
Thanks for your feedback everyone. Much appreciated! (y)

Not that obvious, I thought it might be Frasier ('cos he's called Frasier Crane). :)

I didn't get it either, I think I would prefer to either have the hook/cable vertical in the picture or more tilted rather than the slight off vertical.
Thanks for the feedback. Certainly not my best work, and I guess may also not be in the "classic" film that springs into mind either... :jimlad: . Slightly tweaked here.

P1040604 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

That final edit looks much better. The composition looks more "considered" rather than being a snap.

(y)

Third one is better, but high iso?
No, ISO was only 400 but a fairly hefty crop on a small (1.2/3) sensor (Panasonic FZ330)
I'll just put this week down as a bad day at the office I think, learn from it and move on.....;)

Not sure what you could do to improve such a simple image? Some shots are record shots to fit the theme rather than award winners for me.

Film
Well it seemed quite obvious to me. I do think the closer crop is the better version.

That's amusing, in the top picture the empty chambers look like they have cartoon frogs in them.

Your first one is definitely the best, for this purpose anyway. I tried to work out the "quick" labelling, do the outer battery charge points output a higher current?

Half
Clean and simple (not in a bad way). Yes you're right, the first shot is more of an interesting composition.

Your first one is definitely the best, for this purpose anyway. I tried to work out the "quick" labelling, do the outer battery charge points output a higher current?

Thanks!
Long since thrown the leaflet away, and don’t know much about electricity, but I’m guessing so as the outer points definitely charge quicker than the inner ones (I vaguely recall they’re supposed to charge twice as quick but can’t say I’ve ever timed them [emoji38])

Simple and straightforward with a tidy composition. Works well.

That's amusing, in the top picture the empty chambers look like they have cartoon frogs in them.
Like the angle and the shallow dof in the main image. Agree that #2 and #3 are more product shots.
Like the first one best. You made a good choice!
Yes, frogs .... ;)
Half
Clean and simple (not in a bad way). Yes you're right, the first shot is more of an interesting composition.
Definitely the first one for me .....I thought they looked like two little frogs too :)
Simple and straightforward with a tidy composition. Works well.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment and feedback. Much appreciated (y)

I had to go back and look for your disaster - definitely not a disaster, it was on theme and a perfectly well taken photo.

I like the one you have chosen for the main thread for halves with the shallow depth of field. I'd be proud to be able to get a product shot like number 2. It looks well lit and good enough for a brochure.

I had to go back and look for your disaster - definitely not a disaster, it was on theme and a perfectly well taken photo.

I like the one you have chosen for the main thread for halves with the shallow depth of field. I'd be proud to be able to get a product shot like number 2. It looks well lit and good enough for a brochure.
Thanks (on both counts).
In hindsight for the Film theme I rushed looking for a shot that fitted the theme, and as one commenter said (quite fairly I think), it was more of a "snap" that a measured, planned shot. It sort of worked I suppose if you know the film, but seeing the quality of some of the photos some of you post, I need to stop, take a breath and think a little more about what I'm doing. It's all a learning process, and I'm not naturally "arty". I want to try an be a little more creative in what I present, and I'm also still getting used to my Fuji X-S10 mirrorless after a few years with an entry level Canon DSLR. This weeks is an example. I would never have taken a photo like this before signing up for the 52 - I'm generally more of an out and about snapper.

Thanks (on both counts).
In hindsight for the Film theme I rushed looking for a shot that fitted the theme, and as one commenter said (quite fairly I think), it was more of a "snap" that a measured, planned shot. It sort of worked I suppose if you know the film, but seeing the quality of some of the photos some of you post, I need to stop, take a breath and think a little more about what I'm doing. It's all a learning process, and I'm not naturally "arty". I want to try an be a little more creative in what I present, and I'm also still getting used to my Fuji X-S10 mirrorless after a few years with an entry level Canon DSLR. This weeks is an example. I would never have taken a photo like this before signing up for the 52 - I'm generally more of an out and about snapper.
I think the 52 is great for getting you out of your comfort zone trying a few different things. On my first 52, I would spend far too long trying to get something and often fell terribly behind. Last year I tried to always post on time and not be so picky and I pretty much managed it - phew!

Some weeks I just try and get something on theme, others I will make more effort, just depending on what else is happening. Sometimes a snap has to do. I am still trying if possible not to use an archive shot, and I'd rather use a rubbish new shot than an older better one - because I want to take new shots.

I think your tweaked hook is an improvement, and you have managed to clearly show the hook part - it could easily have got lost if the angle of view was wrong. It's definitely not a disaster :)

Nicely lit and composed on your selected shot.. although all I see after reading the first comment is frogs :)

So, week 9 - Reflection(s)

Found this one challenging. Plenty of archive photos with some half decent reflection in (see photo 4 of Lyme Park in the set below, but this was taken in 2015!) so can't really qualify as a challenge photo. Not being able to travel to exercise means a lot of my usual watery haunts are off limits . So in the end, I've been fiddling about with mirrors. See what you think...

Photo 1 Rock slice
Reflection1 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Photo 2 - Mirrored words (can't believe how much dust the camera picks up!)
Reflection2 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Photo 3 - Mirror selfie
Reflection4 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Photo 4 - My 2015 archive reflection shot of Lyme Park!
Reflection3 by Simon P Hiscocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back