weekly Stevesc's 52 in 2016. Week 35 "Black and White" added

Hi Steve, that's certainly dangerous! Well taken image and very strong execution in both composition and capture. It could perhaps stand maybe a touch more exposure to lift a bit more detail from those shadow areas but still a super image :)

Dangerous - fantastic image, don't want to be getting to close to that chap. Stunning detail, nothing to crit what so ever.
Thanks

I think I'll stick to cats as pets...
Great shot, sharp, especially the eyes and well shot through glass. Pops nicely with the shallow DoF :clap:

Cheers, I would consider some of the animals they had but I have no idea why someone would want one of these as a pet!

Fab camouflage idea really like that.
Dangerous is even faber ! I thought you would need a macro lens to get an image like that !

Gaz

Taking that shot with a macro would have scared the life out of me! This is quite a heavy crop from a 35mm I had on at the time (for family shots), Ideally I would have changed to the 85mm I had with me but didn't have time as the family were moving on.

Cracking looking Caiman Steve, loads of detail. Nicely captured (y)
Nicely taken Steve - love that glassy reflection in the eye. Spot on theme, nice crop.
Dangerous....Yep!! I definitely wouldn't want that hanging off the end of my finger!
Fabulous shot Steve ....love the sharp focus on the eye ....and those teeth certainly look dangerous.
Hi Steve :)

Camouflage - Took me a second to spot them black critters, so the theme well staged and captured :D

Dangerous - Love the detail caught in this chaps eye, real nice focus point and plenty of detail :)

Thanks for the positive comments :)

Hi Steve, that's certainly dangerous! Well taken image and very strong execution in both composition and capture. It could perhaps stand maybe a touch more exposure to lift a bit more detail from those shadow areas but still a super image :)

Looking at it again I think you might be right about the shadows, although there was a fair amount of noise on this shot so the detail might not actually be there.

Nice detail and colour considering it's behind glass. Definitely dangerous looking.

I don't see why it doesn't meet the theme Steve - tax certainly and wasn't there a recent news item about the Monopolies (read Monopoly's) Commission involved in a merger or take-over .... BT/EE !?! Interesting take either way. Like the DoF.

I agree with the others, good photo for the theme, nicely done.

Interesting idea, shot from a nice angle.

If they did a Monopoly update they'd call that Corporation Tax.

I don't see why it doesn't meet the theme Steve - tax certainly and wasn't there a recent news item about the Monopolies (read Monopoly's) Commission involved in a merger or take-over .... BT/EE !?! Interesting take either way. Like the DoF.
Definitely not a shoehorn Steve ....there's plenty of Topical talk about taxing the super rich companies. Spot on focus on your monopoly board .....suits the theme perfectly.
Shoehorn NAH !!! that will do Steve, Tax is always topical, even more so at the moment, I like the DoF and the low angle on here (y)
Topical - a good idea for theme, good pov, dof, image works well.
Not a shoehorn for me.

I like the DOF you've used and the low angle too
I agree with the others, good photo for the theme, nicely done.
Interesting idea, shot from a nice angle.

If they did a Monopoly update they'd call that Corporation Tax.

Thanks everyone. :)

Camouflage I completely missed the black pieces on first view and can remember thinking to myself, white pieces would look more camouflaged on the white squares. Doh. Considering this I think it fits the brief perfectly :)

Dangerous Portrait shot looks cool, nice shape image, and those teeth definitely look dangerous.

Dangerous very nice detail in the subject nice blue tones lovely shot,
Topical great idea for the theme and yes very tough week.(y)

Hi Steve

Good image for topical - real depth to that with the angles and DOF choice. Sufficiently on-theme for me and as others have noted, it was a tough theme so I think you've done very well (better than me) with that week.

Steve Hi, great idea for the theme, like the DoF
Camouflage I completely missed the black pieces on first view and can remember thinking to myself, white pieces would look more camouflaged on the white squares. Doh. Considering this I think it fits the brief perfectly :)

Dangerous Portrait shot looks cool, nice shape image, and those teeth definitely look dangerous.
Dangerous very nice detail in the subject nice blue tones lovely shot,
Topical great idea for the theme and yes very tough week.(y)
Hi Steve

Good image for topical - real depth to that with the angles and DOF choice. Sufficiently on-theme for me and as others have noted, it was a tough theme so I think you've done very well (better than me) with that week.

Thanks for commenting :)

Oh, definitely not a shoehorn! When I first saw your photo in the main photo thread, I thought, "What a clever idea for topical. Wish I had thought of that!" I like how you'e set up the property with hotels, and the shoe token. Totally works and lovely dof!

Oh, definitely not a shoehorn! When I first saw your photo in the main photo thread, I thought, "What a clever idea for topical. Wish I had thought of that!" I like how you'e set up the property with hotels, and the shoe token. Totally works and lovely dof!
Camo - nice interpretation and took a wee while to spot it :)

Dangerous, it certainly is - bet that can give quite a snap! Nice sharp image and detail too

Topical - like it and think it suits the theme well !
Very apt for the Topical theme. Like the shot and good use of dof.

Cheers for taking the time to look and comment :)

Week 9 - Theme "The Living World"

Lots of choices around for this week's theme but have had very little time to get out and take photos. I didn't really want to do another indoor shot but when I did have time available the weather wasn't really playing the game. I ended up putting the camera in my rucksack on the way to work yesterday. The light wasn't the best but at least it was dry and bright and ended up with these two shots, can't quite decide which I prefer so have put both up.

#1:
Living world a by Steve, on Flickr

Living world b by Steve, on Flickr

Any comments and critique are welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look.

I have got very behind on commenting but will try and catch up a bit over the weekend.

I've tried photographing hedgerow flowers a few times and I have found it hard to get the light, DoF and the background right, I think you have done well with these. Tempted to say I'd go with the second because the foreground flowers are more separate from the background. Good shots for the theme.

Very nice Steve, its a tough call, but I think the 1st one just takes it, for the added DoF with the surrounding flowers.

Hi Steve, a quick welcome and a catch-up from me as this is my first visit to your thread. I'm still catching up with my themes but thanks for dropping into my thread and I'll try to keep up to date with yours in future!

Old - a sweet image that will bring back memories in years to come :)
Metal - really like this (y) It's a lovely poem to have in a park and you've done a good job with the focus and composition.
Captive - a really super idea and image! I don't usually care for selective colouring but this is ideal for it, and I like the small hands, which add poignancy to it. Definitely one to treasure.
Miniature - clever idea, and well done to you for using this challenge as a prompt to try new things. I'd never have guessed it was your first attempt as the execution in both capturing and compositing looks spot on to me :clap:
Happy - another great idea and one for the family album in years to come. The slightly OOF finger isn't a big deal, and I love the way you've got everyone involved.
Abandoned - all three are attractive images in their own right, but I prefer the mono version as I think the lack of colour suits the theme best. Also like the contrasting lines in it, as you noted.
Camouflage - works very well indeed, and I had to look carefully to see the black piece. I had the same idea with my photo of our black cat :)
Dangerous - absolutely meets the theme with those big sharp gnashers and the evil-looking eye. Like the textures and details, too.
Topical - a tricky theme but you met it with this image. The props and narrow DOF work well to make the point.
The Living World - I like the shallow DOF, the fine details and the contrast between white flowers and dark background in both of them. I would choose #2 for the less distracting background.

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will follow in future :)

Beautiful images Steve, particularly the second I feel because the blossom is more prominent and less distracted by the bg. Lovely colours.

Topical...Not a shoehorn at all IMO. Right on theme and any excuse to get out a board game ;)

The Living World....I think the second for me. Like @Carl Ayling I like the isolation of the blossom from the BG

both work but I think I agree the second one works a little better

I like both shots. The flowers are really pretty and you've captured them very nicely. Perhaps the second one is a bit better because there's less distraction in the bg and I really like the light on the petals.

Topical - Very topical Good choice of props .

Living world - both good shots I like the 2nd better

Steve, I prefer the second image for living world, just seems to me a better balanced image, all the interest is on the flowers

I've tried photographing hedgerow flowers a few times and I have found it hard to get the light, DoF and the background right, I think you have done well with these. Tempted to say I'd go with the second because the foreground flowers are more separate from the background. Good shots for the theme.
Cheers, your right about the light. I've tried a few times as well but not yet got what I wanted. I was hoping for some nice backlight on these but didn't work out. Have to make the most of what we get though :)

Very nice Steve, its a tough call, but I think the 1st one just takes it, for the added DoF with the surrounding flowers.

Thanks, I do like the add DOF but felt that the blossom gets a bit lost because of the closeness to the OOF blossom in the background at this angle.

Nice Steve, very nice. #1

Hi Steve, a quick welcome and a catch-up from me as this is my first visit to your thread. I'm still catching up with my themes but thanks for dropping into my thread and I'll try to keep up to date with yours in future!

Old - a sweet image that will bring back memories in years to come :)
Metal - really like this (y) It's a lovely poem to have in a park and you've done a good job with the focus and composition.
Captive - a really super idea and image! I don't usually care for selective colouring but this is ideal for it, and I like the small hands, which add poignancy to it. Definitely one to treasure.
Miniature - clever idea, and well done to you for using this challenge as a prompt to try new things. I'd never have guessed it was your first attempt as the execution in both capturing and compositing looks spot on to me :clap:
Happy - another great idea and one for the family album in years to come. The slightly OOF finger isn't a big deal, and I love the way you've got everyone involved.
Abandoned - all three are attractive images in their own right, but I prefer the mono version as I think the lack of colour suits the theme best. Also like the contrasting lines in it, as you noted.
Camouflage - works very well indeed, and I had to look carefully to see the black piece. I had the same idea with my photo of our black cat :)
Dangerous - absolutely meets the theme with those big sharp gnashers and the evil-looking eye. Like the textures and details, too.
Topical - a tricky theme but you met it with this image. The props and narrow DOF work well to make the point.
The Living World - I like the shallow DOF, the fine details and the contrast between white flowers and dark background in both of them. I would choose #2 for the less distracting background.

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will follow in future :)

Thanks for the big catchup and nice comments, I'm finding it hard to comment on all the photos I want to so appreciate the time you've taken.

Back