weekly Susiejb 52 in 2015 Christmas ...and that's me finished for 2015

Hi Susie

Bold
Nice bold bright colours..

Looks better with the wb adjusted

Thanks for looking and commenting Darren :)

very bold colours there Susie, great idea. I like the composition and it does look better without the halo :)

Thanks for looking Lorraine ...glad you like it :)

Hi Susie
Nice clean shot, love the colours - good call! [emoji5]️

Thank you Ferg ....much appreciate you looking in :)

Stonking shot Susie (y)

Forward thinking .... great idea, POV, DOF & colour.

Ta d00d :)

I like the composition and idea, just the halo to detract as others have said. Unfortunately I can still see it on Andy's lol. So does anyone know what causes this halo effect? Best way to avoid it? I am interested to know :)

Thanks for looking in summer ....I 've posted your question on the chat thread so hopefully we'll find out :)

HI Susie

Striking colors & great composition for that shot (y) Don;t know what editing suite you use but GIMP is supposed to be good and Picassa is also good, both free which is also good :D

Relax - love the colours/clouds in your photo, I also enjoy flying so think your photos work well for this weeks theme :)

Hi Susie, I don't get the chance to fly very often, the first time i flew was when I was in my 30's but i remember looking out the window and seeing the clouds below which was fascinating to me

very fitting for the theme :clap:

Good one for relax, I think you do need part of the plane in this shot to give it meaning, shame the plane was so ugly though lol, next time try to travel in a nice shiny Lear jet or something - tell them I said you have to :)

Very nice picture although personally I have to strongly disagree with the placement in this theme as in my case flying is one fo the most unrelaxing things out there (unless the plane is really big then it's ok). :)

Hi Susie, nice fluffy clouds, a bright blue sky, and a JD and Coke makes for a perfect relaxing flight for me (oh, and no kids :p)

As Summer said - try a Lear Jet next time - it's prettier :D

Hi susie... looks like you've picked up this year where you finished last year. (y)

love your oil and water shots, as well as your ice cubes for watery.. reminding me of your crystals from last year. :)

Was your spices shot that brought me in here..... I think the "halo" and the colour cast of the BG are two separate issues, correcting the WB reduces this impact of the halo, as it doesnt stand out so much once the pinkyness has been removed from the BG.

Did you use a raynox or something to get closer here, sometimes filters can give colour casts, and I'm not sure if the halo is lighting generated, or processing? Sometimes upping contrast and / or pulling back highlights (too much) can give rise to this.

Not sure what lighting conditions might give rise to that effect (an object lit from behind will have a "rim light" slight halo effect.... but not to a large degree as here (I wouldn;t have thought??)

I've had a bit of a play, sure you won;t mind. :)

Geek warning btw! :geek:

Original image opened in LR for comparisons. (Any red areas are the highlight warning (blown areas), similarly blue is shadow warning (pure black)

WB corrected by sampling from BG (an area that should be white) This needed a large shift to green (to reduce the magenta).

Next, I brightened the highlights to brighten the BG a bit..........same image but with highlight / shadow warnings now turned on (area of halo now blown white)

reducing whites halo is now not blown white. Still have shadow warnings (don't mind a few of them :))

Messing with the highlights and whites has affected the spices a bit, so I layered the WB corrected original and painted them back through

Any way up, I really like it, the threes and the varying sizes have already been mentioned as being very appealing, and the colour is certainly bold. :)

Hi Graham @overbez thank you so much for taking the time to do all of that, it's really helpful.

I did use my Raynox for that one, I was also in a smallish 'cupboard' at my sons as it had the brightest light, but it was definitely not ideal, so I doubt if that helped. I may well be guilty of overdoing something in PP. When I arrived back home at the weekend I looked at it on my main computer and the colour looked awful :eek: but I liked the idea too, so I may well try it again on a re-shoot week and will hopefully get it right :)

Hope all is good with you .... and thanks again :)

Last edited:
You're welcome Susie. All is well with me. :)

Think it took me until week 5 before I stopped checking in to see what the theme was each Friday evening. :) there have been some real nasty ones so far, but everyone seems to have coped amazingly well.

Hi Susie, its lovely to see the blue sky and fluffy clouds. After the day I've had I would love to relax up there! I run a photo club at a local primary school and we use iPads for a lot of their pictures, the children love to use snapseed for editing on them!

Hi susie, nice picture that, nice exposure and the clouds are lovely. On theme and I like the idea.

Hi Michael, thank you for looking in ...much appreciate your comments :)

HI Susie

Striking colors & great composition for that shot (y) Don;t know what editing suite you use but GIMP is supposed to be good and Picassa is also good, both free which is also good :D

Thanks Lynne ....I tend to use either paint.net or one called Pic Monkey ...it sounds a bit naff but it does have some really good effects, I must take another look at GIMP I used it ages ago.

Relax - love the colours/clouds in your photo, I also enjoy flying so think your photos work well for this weeks theme :)

Thanks Tracy, the sky was lovely on Saturday ....it's certainly a quick way to get from a to b, under a hour Newquay to Manchester :)

Hi Susie, I don't get the chance to fly very often, the first time i flew was when I was in my 30's but i remember looking out the window and seeing the clouds below which was fascinating to me

very fitting for the theme :clap:

Hi Allan ....I love the view from above the clouds ...it was really stunning in the sunlight as we took off, but my grandaughter pinched the window seat so we were quite high before I got chance to take a photo.

Good one for relax, I think you do need part of the plane in this shot to give it meaning, shame the plane was so ugly though lol, next time try to travel in a nice shiny Lear jet or something - tell them I said you have to :)

Thanks summer ....:) what do you expect for £60 return :D

Clouds are beautiful from above aren't they!

(y)

Yep d00d ....absolutely fascinating ....I can never resist taking photos.

Hi Susie, nice choice for this week's theme and those clouds are stunning. Well done :)

Thanks Lorraine (y)

Very nice picture although personally I have to strongly disagree with the placement in this theme as in my case flying is one fo the most unrelaxing things out there (unless the plane is really big then it's ok). :)

Thanks Martin ....it can be a bumpy ride on those small planes !

Hi Susie, nice fluffy clouds, a bright blue sky, and a JD and Coke makes for a perfect relaxing flight for me (oh, and no kids :p)

As Summer said - try a Lear Jet next time - it's prettier :D

Thanks Jill ...don't think my finances run to the jet :(

Hi Susie, its lovely to see the blue sky and fluffy clouds. After the day I've had I would love to relax up there! I run a photo club at a local primary school and we use iPads for a lot of their pictures, the children love to use snapseed for editing on them!

Thanks for looking in Sarah ....much appreciated.

I feel it was a bit of a lazy choice from me this week but it seemed so appropriate I just went with it. That's the first time I've used my ipad for photos ....but I've had some smashers off my iphone. Your photo club sounds like a great idea :)

This. That is one ugly plane! I find it very relaxing above the clouds so it is something I identify with. However that plane... Oh boy...:grumpy:

HI Susie I am lagging way behind! Love your bold shot - very sharp and really fits the theme. The relax one - love the colours and does fit the theme very well (though I'm not relaxed on a plane!) How did you take that one?

Bold - really bold colours and nice composition. I actually like the slightly pinkish bg, I think it adds to the warmth of the spices if you see what I mean.

Relax - beautiful clouds, very relaxing and feather-beddy! All the more impressive for being taken with your iPad :clap:

Hi Susie,

lovely composition - especially like the texture of the spices - as well as the colours, of course. Whilst I can't fault the composition, I think that I would have liked to have seem them from a side-on angle, not so much that the bowls begin to obscure each other though. That's just me though, so it's not really crit. I agree the with the comment that someone posted above, it would look great on the kitchen wall.

Karl

Nice shot and beautiful colours. I always able to relax when flying.

Thanks Stan ...it really was a beautiful day :)

This. That is one ugly plane! I find it very relaxing above the clouds so it is something I identify with. However that plane... Oh boy...:grumpy:

LOL I'll hire a private jet next time just so I get a posh pic:)

HI Susie I am lagging way behind! Love your bold shot - very sharp and really fits the theme. The relax one - love the colours and does fit the theme very well (though I'm not relaxed on a plane!) How did you take that one?

Hi Michalene .....I'm miles behind, I hopped in briefly to our main photo thread earlier in the week and it said 60 posts since my last one :eek: I'll just have to catch up as much as I can.

The shot is of the back of the wing so it's just taken from the window....they weren't very clean so it turned out well all things considered.

Bold - really bold colours and nice composition. I actually like the slightly pinkish bg, I think it adds to the warmth of the spices if you see what I mean.

Relax - beautiful clouds, very relaxing and feather-beddy! All the more impressive for being taken with your iPad :clap:

Hi Elaine ....thanks for looking and commenting...it's busy isn't it ! Glad you like the photos, I actually missed the best of the clouds, they were amazing.

Hi Suzie, Relax is very pleasing :) Nice shot

Hi Rob ....much appreciate you looking in ....thank you :)

Hi Susie,

lovely composition - especially like the texture of the spices - as well as the colours, of course. Whilst I can't fault the composition, I think that I would have liked to have seem them from a side-on angle, not so much that the bowls begin to obscure each other though. That's just me though, so it's not really crit. I agree the with the comment that someone posted above, it would look great on the kitchen wall.

Karl

Thanks Karl ....I enjoyed doing that one ....I'd like to try it again on a reshoot.

Bold - lovely image I like it good use of dof and fits the theme perfectly.

Relax - lovely shot and especially from an ipad as well, I just love the detail in the clouds.

Hi Mandy...thanks for taking the time to look and comment....I find in good light the ipad is excellent.

Hi Michalene .....I'm miles behind, I hopped in briefly to our main photo thread earlier in the week and it said 60 posts since my last one :eek: I'll just have to catch up as much as I can.

The shot is of the back of the wing so it's just taken from the window....they weren't very clean so it turned out well all things considered.[/QUOTE]

Hi Susie - for some stupid reason when I first looked at it I thought it was the cockpit and I was thinking how on earth did she get a pic of that! Where was she - outside the plane! :confused:

... whatever, it doesn't look very aerodynamic, is there an airport in Cornwall, hmmmm, could be one of those planes that land on water.

I'm massively behind here too. :(

Your image is relaxing to me simply because it's above the clouds.
My favourite place to be.

Hi Susie. I just logged in to this weeks word am thinking there is going to be some rum images coming in this weeks uploads.
I really like the very contrasty look you have given this almost like an ink stamp they sure are vertical.

Gaz

I can see what you were trying to do with this Susie, vertical is kinda spoilt by the horizontals for me.
Its a nice image though :)

Back