weekly Susiejb 52 in 2016 Celebrate

Hi Susie, Great thinking with the abandoned diet. I think you did well in some challenging light conditions - but my favourite by some margin is that wonderful shot of the dog in #2. Fantastic expression and sense of loneliness conveyed and the processing and exposure are all spot on for me. Great job :)

Susie, like your first abandoned images, at this time in the morning that wiouldnt get left

You have started 2016 52's in style Susie. The rusted boat is excellent the colours really striking. I like the subtle lighting and extreme shallow DOF on the pen. Poor ted, I hope you paid up :) The marmite clean up team is excellent very clever and well done. As for happy what can I say, he looks happy :) Another clever Idea on the abandoned diet, I have seen a few of those. Good DOF on the fire in the background and the slimming world mag is well placed.

Nice take on abandoned, very relevant at this time of year and very well executed.

I couldn't get an abandoned building or chained up bike out of my head when thinking of a subject

If you're going to abandon a diet, that's the way to do it - wholeheartedly, non of the namby pamby nibbles. Full on cholesterol. Love it. :clap:

Hi Susie nice idea with the cake, it works for me, an original take this week too many building and cars, the dog shot is also good has that look our dogs have if we go out without them, well spotted

Thanks Allan (y)

Abandoned...Lovely idea with one bite taken supper shot, as for the terrier nice and close fantastic shot B/W tones look great love it.(y)

Thank you Michael :)

Hi Susie, Great thinking with the abandoned diet. I think you did well in some challenging light conditions - but my favourite by some margin is that wonderful shot of the dog in #2. Fantastic expression and sense of loneliness conveyed and the processing and exposure are all spot on for me. Great job :)

Thanks Paul ....I just saw Flora looking rather sad ....it seemed very appropriate for the theme.

Susie, like your first abandoned images, at this time in the morning that wiouldnt get left

Thanks Lee...it was very quickly eaten :)

You have started 2016 52's in style Susie. The rusted boat is excellent the colours really striking. I like the subtle lighting and extreme shallow DOF on the pen. Poor ted, I hope you paid up :) The marmite clean up team is excellent very clever and well done. As for happy what can I say, he looks happy :) Another clever Idea on the abandoned diet, I have seen a few of those. Good DOF on the fire in the background and the slimming world mag is well placed.

Very much appreciate those comments Steve ...thank you.

Nice take on abandoned, very relevant at this time of year and very well executed.

I couldn't get an abandoned building or chained up bike out of my head when thinking of a subject

Thanks Lee ...it was a difficult theme to think of something a bit different.

If you're going to abandon a diet, that's the way to do it - wholeheartedly, non of the namby pamby nibbles. Full on cholesterol. Love it. :clap:

:D Thanks Carl definitely no half measures here.

Hi Susie, thanks for popping into my thread. I'm still catching up but couldn't resist peeping in here and you've made a great start to the year.

For "Old", I like the reflections of the rusty ship on the water, but like the second even more for the way it shows the sheer scale and complexity of the thing. It's an unusual insight into something we don't often get to see.

The colours and contrast in "Metal" really set off the shiny nib. Yes, the DOF could have been slightly wider to capture the point as sharply as the rest, but it's a lovely item and the light and warmth capture it beautifully. "Captive" is a fun idea - poor teddy! - and I like all three of your images for "Miniature", but especially the Marmite scene; a great idea and well set up.

I don't think anyone could look at your image for "Happy" and not smile :D What a happy boy, and you've done well to get such a sharp sequence of poses as they certainly do move quickly! Good idea with the background too; we can't always choose where to take our photos (y)

Finally, what a clever scene in your first image for "Abandoned". The items fit together perfectly to tell the story without explanation, and the missing bite underlines it. Nicely lit too; very good indeed :clap:

I'll be following your thread and looking forward to more (y)

I think Abandoned is spot on Susie and pretty typical behaviour for this time of year :p The added touch of the Slimming World magazine adds a pop of colour and adds the third element to the pic :clap:

Hi Susie, thanks for popping into my thread. I'm still catching up but couldn't resist peeping in here and you've made a great start to the year.

For "Old", I like the reflections of the rusty ship on the water, but like the second even more for the way it shows the sheer scale and complexity of the thing. It's an unusual insight into something we don't often get to see.

The colours and contrast in "Metal" really set off the shiny nib. Yes, the DOF could have been slightly wider to capture the point as sharply as the rest, but it's a lovely item and the light and warmth capture it beautifully. "Captive" is a fun idea - poor teddy! - and I like all three of your images for "Miniature", but especially the Marmite scene; a great idea and well set up.

I don't think anyone could look at your image for "Happy" and not smile :D What a happy boy, and you've done well to get such a sharp sequence of poses as they certainly do move quickly! Good idea with the background too; we can't always choose where to take our photos (y)

Finally, what a clever scene in your first image for "Abandoned". The items fit together perfectly to tell the story without explanation, and the missing bite underlines it. Nicely lit too; very good indeed :clap:

I'll be following your thread and looking forward to more (y)

Thank you Andrea ...much appreciate you making the time to comment .)

I think Abandoned is spot on Susie and pretty typical behaviour for this time of year :p The added touch of the Slimming World magazine adds a pop of colour and adds the third element to the pic :clap:

Thanks Jill ....I think everyone's had a failed diet at some time !

Well that looks like it was well worth abandoning the diet for. Love the use of the Slimming World mag :D The terrier's a great shot too, he looks so folorn!

Hi Susie

I can not believe I've missed your thread until now sorry :(

Anyway great start to your 52 challenge

Old - Both certainly fit the brief not sure which one I prefer as I like them both.

Metal - Simple and effective I can say no more

Captive - OMG remind me never to let you with in 100 miles of any of my mom's Teddies!! Great take on the theme
love the ighting adds an even more menachign feel to it.

Abandoned - Love the first image but I'm not talking to you anymore as I'm hungry now and only have an apple and orange in my desk drawer......

The little Terrier looks so lost and abandoned a beautifully captured image that my favourite of the 2

Great idea with the abandoned diet, and excellent composition. And once again I like edible props.

Well that looks like it was well worth abandoning the diet for. Love the use of the Slimming World mag :D The terrier's a great shot too, he looks so folorn!

Thanks Elaine ...I really must get around to reading that magazine :)

Hi Susie

I can not believe I've missed your thread until now sorry :(

Anyway great start to your 52 challenge

Old - Both certainly fit the brief not sure which one I prefer as I like them both.

Metal - Simple and effective I can say no more

Captive - OMG remind me never to let you with in 100 miles of any of my mom's Teddies!! Great take on the theme
love the ighting adds an even more menachign feel to it.

Abandoned - Love the first image but I'm not talking to you anymore as I'm hungry now and only have an apple and orange in my desk drawer......

The little Terrier looks so lost and abandoned a beautifully captured image that my favourite of the 2

Thanks you Mark ...it's very difficult to keep up with everyone at the moment so I do appreciate your feedback ...sorry about the cake it was absolutely delicious :D

Great idea with the abandoned diet, and excellent composition. And once again I like edible props.

Thanks Bernd ..I love edible props :)

On to Camouflaged ...tried lots of ideas out today ...not all successful, but I enjoyed experimenting. I've ended up with these two ...the snake is an original shot that's been altered and the spoon is one from scratch. I really wanted an outdoor one but no hope of that at the moment, I'll see what weather this week brings.

Camouflaged TP2016 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Camouflaged TP 2016 by Susiejb, on Flickr

The originals

Spoon by Susiejb, on Flickr
Snake by Susiejb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh both very nicely done!
Great texture to them.

Both very nice Susie, both work well (y)

Spot on Susie. I find the spoon shot more appealing maybe because of its visual subtlety - all the elements work well together. :clap:

Both very well done, I would have no idea where to start doing something like that.

Spot on Susie. I find the spoon shot more appealing maybe because of its visual subtlety - all the elements work well together. :clap:

Thank you Carl ...it was a bit of a tight balance keeping the spoon visible but not losing it altogether.

Both very well done, I would have no idea where to start doing something like that.

Thanks Chris ....there's a lot of help on the net ....which is really useful.

True artist.

Thanks d00d ....I used a mix, hovering backwards and forwards between paint.net and PM. Is photography a form of art ...I think so.

Some might say these aren't photographs IYSWIM, but I rather like #1 and good to see you are getting to grips with layers.

Cheers.

Thank you Andy @posiview yes I'm sure there has been many a lively discussion on here about how much we process an image after the original shot. The snake is my own shot and has just been put through a texturing process. The second one I took a separate photograph of the chessboard, and then a stainless steel spoon, I added the brick effect and then blended it all together erasing the spoon except the edges. I've always loved layers and creating images but I'd let it lapse.....its been good this year to get stuck into it again.

Hi Sushi, out of the two I think the spoon works well though not sure on the placement at the top of the frame

Had a double take on both pics well done, nice pp

Thanks Walter (y)

Hi Sushi, out of the two I think the spoon works well though not sure on the placement at the top of the frame

Do I have a new name or is it a typo :) thanks for looking Allan.....the spoon started in the middle but I needed to get the wall behind it so I moved the layer up.

Hi Susie,
I think I like the spoon best but both work very well - the processing looks very effective:clap:

Last edited:
Happy - Lovely collage. I wouldn't normally like collages for a photography theme photo because I feel it's more suited for Facebook and scrapbooks and the like, but for this particular theme, I think it actually works, since multiples of happy = more happiness! Also, what a gorgeous boy you have! Looks like he really enjoyed posing for you! ;)

Abandoned - ARgh, the hot chocolate and cake makes me hungry!! Which means, nicely shot! :p And the magazine under it tells the story. Very creative take on the theme!

I really like the one of Flora (that's the dog's name, ya?). Her expression is pefect and her face half hidden in the throw just adds to the melancholic mood.

Camouflage - I like the wide-eyed look on the snake! Makes me wonder what he's up to (probably nothing good). Love the spoon. The B&W patterns make a very bold, eye-catching picture and I like the spoon being placed right on the top like that.

I love how you've processed both photos (and thanks for showing the originals). You've made them look like art pieces to hang on the wall. Is there a name for this style? Like a grungy pop art kinda thing - I like very much.

Hey Susie :)

Abandoned - Now that is giving in on a diet and what a way to go too :D - I like the inclusion of the slimming mag and the nice warm comforting fire in the background :)

Camouflage - AQ couple of cracking images, I'm so glad you have included the originals, I really like the brickwork on the spoon image but for me the flaking paint look of the snake image is great, top shot (y)

Very imaginative on the camouflage susie very imaginative. I think the snake wins it by a head :)

Back