Takes On Liquid - January Challenge

Yes, impossibly quick in fact, which is why I had to cheat. (Two exposures combined in post)
I've renamed this 'Global Warming' ... a literal interpretation as we melt the ice caps.

Good job with the PP, the colours are well matched

Hi guys .... after doing the 52s for years I'm enjoying this challenge, instead of taking the odd day off you can take the odd week off. :D

Good to see new entries and new entrants .... good work all .... not least 'Global Warming' by @Nick Owen ... clever idea, cleverly done (y) ... I'm preferring the first.

Just hopped in and there are some fabulous photos for this topic, agree with d00d your Global Warming is stunning Nick, but everyone seems to have pulled out all the stops for this one. I've tried several different things but I'm not happy with any of them, I'll keep at it ... maybe its time to delve into the props cupboard and start making a mess :)

Wow some truly wonderful images on this thread. I feel a little ashamed to share mine now :D I love the pencil and droplet, the ice cubes, the water droplets. I'd be putting them all on my wall.

Here are my attempts. My water droplet was taken at the start of the month in a ski chalet when the weather was horrible. The other was my first attempt at Intentional Camera Movement at the local beach. I know I won't get chance to try anything else this month, so this will have to do.

190107181438-BC072915.jpg181227171432-PC270096.jpg

@Bebop Love the droplet shot, excellent timing and I love the detail in the part of the droplet still on the tap.

@-Oy- Great looking Std 4 tank. Ours is a long way off that yet.
Off the the GCR on Saturday probably, so there is still time for me to get steam into the "liquid takes on" too :)

:) I do like a good shoe-horn, I'm trying to remember from my thermodynamics lectures if vapour is a liquid or a gas :thinking:

:) I do like a good shoe-horn, I'm trying to remember from my thermodynamics lectures if vapour is a liquid or a gas :thinking:

It's a gas, but with water dripping everywhere, there's enough liquid in the shot to pass the shoehorn test I reckon...:)

Thanks for the kind words towards this stranger in your midst and his efforts, and I agree, there are terrific shots posted up. A big 'well done' to all. @Bebop absolutely no worries, those two shots are cool and neither were easy to capture. I particularly like the ICM image, very 'fluid' as Sirch mentioned. Onwards, ever onwards...

Been watching this thread and it inspired me to actually try the droplet set i picked up before Christmas, never used anything like this or even flash so steep learning curve.
eZy Watermark_22-01-2019_10-31-28pm.jpg

If you get such good results first time off...woohoo! Great shot! (but not so sure about the intrusive watermark)

If you get such good results first time off...woohoo! Great shot! (but not so sure about the intrusive watermark)
should of added, i don't normally post here the low res watermarked, but it was all done with my phone and i was testing a watermark app, was the only copy I had with me at work, I'll swap it for the flickr high res when im home

Bebob well done with your water drop, and I absolutely love the one of the sea, its so peaceful and calm.
That's a stunning photo Wayne, one to be very proud of.

I don't think I've ever faffed about so much with a topic as this one, till I hopped back into the 52's I've not picked up my main camera for over six months and I'm finding it hard to get back into it. I want to get out of the habit of picking up my phone for photos.

This was about the best I managed today.

Liquid TP 19 by Susiejb, on Flickr

Thank you for your kinds words @susiejb and @LC2

Your shot @susiejb must have taken good timing - much messier than me waiting for another water drop :D. Love the colour too. Is it paint?

Amazing @scott199 that you can get such results so quickly. Really nice.

Another one I'd be happy to put on my wall @-Oy- love the composition and depth of field, and really suits B&W.

Thank you for your kinds words @susiejb and @LC2

Your shot @susiejb must have taken good timing - much messier than me waiting for another water drop :D. Love the colour too. Is it paint?

Amazing @scott199 that you can get such results so quickly. Really nice.

Another one I'd be happy to put on my wall @-Oy- love the composition and depth of field, and really suits B&W.
Cheers, I'm going with more fluke than skill :banana:

Last edited:
Both nice Stan, I think I prefer the first as it's a little more abstract but the second has better context. And well done on getting down low in the freezing grass. Dedication! Me, I'll stay indoors.

Hope no one minds a late joiner to the challenge - looks like fun so I figure I'll give it a go.

My intention here was to use water colours to create 'liquid' art. The 'canvas' is baking parchment and these were taken with my Nikon D7000 and either Tamron 90mm or Nikon 35mm. C&C always welcome...

TakesOnLiquid_20190125_141956 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

TakesOnLiquid_20190125_144804 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

TakesOnLiquid_20190125_150342 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

I will perhaps try a different scene for the other 3 shots - but I am hampered by minimal artistic skill :LOL:

I've really been meaning to catch up on this thread all week but just been able to give it the time. It's great to see so many people contributing and such an excellent range of ideas and quality photos.

@scott199 that's really good and not just "good for a first attempt". When I first saw it I was so used to people shooting these things against coloured backgrounds I was a bit in two minds but actually I really like the honesty and clarity of the white (becoming grey) background. I might crop a chunk off the top but a really good photo IMHO

@susiejb good to see you showing your work again, I can't help but think there is something more to be had from that scene but I do like the high-key and the shape of the flow and it's shadow

@rpn I've never seen or even though about frozen bubbles, what an interesting concept. Somehow I prefer the second but couldn't really say why, perhaps the higher contrast of the overall scene

@Nick Owen simple and very effective, spot on for the theme and I love the drip forming on the end of the leaf

@Daysleeper40 welcome aboard it's great to have people jump in at any time. Your artistic skill puts mine to shame and a really interesting take on the theme, which is what this is about. I don't know if the water colour stands proud of the paper for long but if it does one thing I'd be tempted to try is a shot from the side to highlight the drops of paint. Also because the default background on here is white I wonder if you considered adding a border to the photos.

Wow more super images, this topics definitely been a hit.

Chris your right about mine, I did try something similar but in b&w, I think I'll give that a go again this week if I get a chance.

Stan I must say your frozen bubbles are stunning, I've tried it but never got it to work yet!

Managed a few pix at Aysgarth Falls this afternoon in the gloom and between the showers.

Aysgarth%201-1.jpg

Lots of great images here. Love those butterflies, the red blob, the leaf and the frozen bubble.
I just had an idea so just did it.... by Jon, on Flickr

Thanks Jon - I'm liking your take on the theme too. Looks like a jewel :)

@Daysleeper40 welcome aboard it's great to have people jump in at any time. Your artistic skill puts mine to shame and a really interesting take on the theme, which is what this is about. I don't know if the water colour stands proud of the paper for long but if it does one thing I'd be tempted to try is a shot from the side to highlight the drops of paint. Also because the default background on here is white I wonder if you considered adding a border to the photos.

Thanks Chris - I did try shooting from the side but tbh it just wasn't working out in terms of DOF. Good idea re the border - have to admit I'm quite pleased they might need one as white backgrounds are not my forte!

Really enjoying seeing how creative people are with this theme. Loving the butterflies @Daysleeper40 - cleverly done. Also the colourful concoction @aliengrove I’m sure I’d have ended up with a muddy mess. Your wine is an interesting shot too @aliengrove - looks a cross between a jewel and fruit... ruby wine.
The frozen bubble is also very clever @rpn - great idea!

Last edited:
Off work with a stinking cold, so entertained myself messing with the camera...this was made with olive oil, ribena, tonic water and salt, then flipped and flipped again. Handheld, 28mm lens with 10mm tubes, led light under a glass.

That's very creative and the money we spend to enjoy our hobby; olive oil, tonic and Ribena!

End of the month, I was hoping to come up with something better but no time now. :runaway:

There are some beautiful images here, good work.

@RyanB .... yours from yesterday ... excellent, just loving the first. "opposing diagonals", a sort of dreamy clarity. (y)

Back