Takes On Soft - April Challenge

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a monthly challenge and is open to all. I will post a new theme drawn at random from a list of themes (Takes-on 2019 theme suggestions) at the start of each month. The challenge is to take up to 6 photos to the theme "Soft" in the month of April 2019 and post them in this thread. Constructive comments are encouraged and should also be posted in this thread. There is a discussion thread for general chat, ideas, etc. The first post in the discussion thread also includes links to this year's previous themes.

Just to reiterate, photos should be shot and posted this month, April 2019, feel free to jump in whenever you like. Happy shooting :)

@Cobra, please sticky this thread and unsticky March when you get chance

I think that this might class as a take on Soft:

Taking using my 30mm Sigma f1.4 Art lens at f2.8, processed using Nik Color eFex using 3 additional filters: Glamour Glow + Reflector Effects + Skylight Effects

blossom-6284.jpg

I think that this might class as a take on Soft:

Taking using my 30mm Sigma f1.4 Art lens at f2.8, processed using Nik Color eFex using 3 additional filters: Glamour Glow + Reflector Effects + Skylight Effects

blossom-6284.jpg
Quality image Geoff (y) ... I took one of cherry blossom against a blue sky yesterday. It's OK but, by comparison, lacks oomph. Love the bokeh above.

OsHCMg2ks0qhDS4p_OzraNs3hzJ5jCW1UyIozNaO219D_LhvxJmuPuyytE61yWbcAyYoiUt-96IYSOeAH0fHsq-zRfyg7RilZInJe8IYr6T2yBsInL_MBb8pLnuxH6OgV4qycf0jfqy-uSOujZiXt8-C6SuEqT3It5nIucIWUwF0GzCe9RMGwkpv3VxDJWsNq5M6PQwrKyNpQqFSYgwjSa7ANPQzUK2hyNGeOYBDQ3FLzkabKunKqBBI_JqI0_jS8VRRSnOk99-2zV-c6LwELYy5VvhoSKpAN8vudDoOElKuMsD-r6sJwh2wU_ICOytvW2Ag5Dl9Ej0UdOpunegisubBWMymXCgN3A-kRNMWUg9H2aCeDHeO5s-mA47yiG8IaMVcPw53krcFojWS7rShsdG_QNmEyxQE2Kfyt3RQE3Iv4g9jO0-PWueu4xZbbExZgAWCkwX3O6CaR_kO8URcA7e1qSLsWPgjmWl-Jz8VDhsf3gsdTAudetus_qr3ZF3Cyy4JmhO_VKE5BPi_jR2Ux2_Hwx5iIDU5YcuQGA95BB2DGpuN8krj_AMElUlFIaBhWX5BVCkR29SvBuhBPzaBIXxFZ3zTptWW6OdX9IgaOT9d315b0eeIdwfvuAH4kQ4GLbsXba_oGEe9wS2VgFA_di2n1M0PIi7I=w1070-h867-no

Last edited:
Does this pass as SOFT, I liked the movement of the chefs.

Soft by Susiejb, on Flickr
Ah susie ... good to see you! Great image ... some shoppery involved?

Love the spring blossom and the soft petals, nature always puts on such a good show.
That's a nice colourful bouncy ball d00d did you make it?
Thanks ... the ball is some rubbish, couple of quid in a "pound" shop. Now looking a bit worse for wear.

Lovely image of your grand daughter RPN, hope you don't mind a little screenshot edit of this delightfully pensive shot.

Thanks, Peter. I like the edited mono version. The idea behind my edit was to reduce the contrast, clarity and most other controls too to give that softness feel in the image to fit this month's theme.

Understood, but for me the softness is there already in her expression. I'll delete it now.

Last edited:
Understood, but for me the softness is there already in her expression. I'll delete it now.

Nick, please don't delete it. I like your take on the image and your thought process. I always open to suggest and love the shot. The close crop and the monochrome conversion with a slight boost in contrast.

Hi everyone,

New to photography (had a camera about a month) and the forums and I've just seen this section and would like to contribute with a photo I took at the weekend.

I hope this is in keeping with the theme (I'm still learning the basics) and would really appreciate comments so I can improve.

It's my first posting of a photo so please be gentle :D

20190414-_MG_6050 by Craf00, on Flickr

Hi everyone,

New to photography (had a camera about a month) and the forums and I've just seen this section and would like to contribute with a photo I took at the weekend.

I hope this is in keeping with the theme (I'm still learning the basics) and would really appreciate comments so I can improve.

It's my first posting of a photo so please be gentle :D

20190414-_MG_6050 by Craf00, on Flickr

Looks good to me, thanks for joining in

Mrs Badger and a random Goth at Whitby Goth festival April 2019 Praktica Nova L Kodak colour plus 200 budget film no meter so Sunny 16 rule.
74850001.jpg

Last edited:
I could watch these cute little guys all day and not even bother to photograph them..

Red Squirrel at Formby Point...

red-squirrel-6907.jpg

Ah susie ... good to see you! Great image ... some shoppery involved?

Thanks ... the ball is some rubbish, couple of quid in a "pound" shop. Now looking a bit worse for wear.

I bought a ball like that but they were selling it as elastic bands, not a ball :LOL:

I almost forgot about this part of the forum, though I did take some shots with ‘soft’ in mind. Timely subject as I have just purchased a lensbaby lens.

Lovely to see everyone’s contributions.

Last edited:
A couple of contributions from me...

The first outing with my lensbaby..... definitely need a lot more practice with this one, with manual aperture and focus you need a patient model - I can see lots wrong with it, but it's a start.

190413171946-BCR_0804.jpg

And an experiment with lighting on a 'soft' fruit

190416220437-BCR_0857-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Back