The Takes On Challenge, 2016/2017

Here's what I think the current list looks like and again I'm open to suggestions but I'd like to stretch it beyond just simple objects but keep the intended subjects fairly unambiguous. In particular if anyone intending to do this can't access any of these please let me know I don't want anyone to be excluded.

a car
a tree
a shop
a hat
a cake
a bridge
a cyclist
a rock
paper
scissors
knives
cheese
a flower
a stranger
a hole
a bottle
a path
clouds
a star
fences
a hill
mammals
insects
digging
wine
a relative
a church
shopping

As if by magic. ;)

So it's a new year, some subjects have been more popular than others and I was wondering what people thought of this monthly challenge going forwards. Do we need a new list of themes?
I'm not sure that we need a new list until this one is nearing the end.

They look fine to me Chris ....plenty of variety. I had every intention of doing the December one but before I knew it December had flown by. I'm definitely back in for the new year,
I think the song topic has proved popular in the 52's you could maybe put that in, or a tv programme.

Have had a quick look at the February thread and I'm a little confused, is it about posting any photos we have on the theme or is the idea to take something new specific for the theme (or both?).

Have had a quick look at the February thread and I'm a little confused, is it about posting any photos we have on the theme or is the idea to take something new specific for the theme (or both?).
Either really, use it as inspiration or a chance to dust off some old images. I suppose it is a bit of a collective project on a theme, at the end of the month we have different takes on the theme and personally I find it interesting to see how different people respond.

Either really, use it as inspiration or a chance to dust off some old images. I suppose it is a bit of a collective project on a theme, at the end of the month we have different takes on the theme and personally I find it interesting to see how different people respond.

Thanks, I've seen a couple of the monthly themes but have avoided getting involved as I had assumed it was to take new photos and I struggle enough keeping up with the 52 but will definitely keep an eye out for these themes in future.

I tend to post both old and new, as Chris @sirch said the theme is fairly general and serve as an inspiration to go out to take more photos. Some of my achieve shots are either stored somewhere deep in the HD or photo sharing sites which haven't seen the light of day for ages.

@sirch And the June Take On Challenge is??????
I did actually remember that I needed to pull a new one out of the bag yesterday morning but of course I had forgotten by the time I got home yesterday evening anyway the new theme is up. I am happy to pick something different if people find it a bit uninspiring.

Takes on Cheese (June challenge)

The last few haven't been so popular and I'm guessing this one isn't going to be either. If there is anyone still interested I really think it's time for a new set of themes and probably a new way of picking themes more appropriate to the season. I know I might well of shot wine and bottle if it was dark winter evenings but don't have much motivation to do that in the summer.

Anyway I'm off on hols so won't be near the bag of theme so I pulled one early - the August theme is Bottle

Over in the September thread @susiejb asked what was left in the bag, we have the following to look forward to:

a shop
a knife
clouds
a hole
paper
a rock
a boat
chocolate
a star
a hill
a fence

One thing i have learned about my own photography is that I am quite seasonal, recently we have had things like cheese and wine which I had every intention of shooting but never got around to because I just don't feel like doing "studio" type set-ups on a bright summer's evening but I probably would have shot on a gloomy winter's evening. Not that there haven't been opportunities to shoot a wine bottle or two over the summer ;)

I have asked before what people want to do going forwards, I'm happy to just carry on unless anyone wants a change of themes or format.

Last edited:
The Bag!

Anyone fancy refilling it and reviving this monthly challenge? :D

How about a whet-your-appetite theme for December with a proper kick off in January. At risk of boring everyone to death we could do "Seasonal" for December unless anyone has a better idea and I'll start a theme suggestions thread. If we get a lot of themes I'll add a poll to that thread and we can vote off the ones we really don't like.

OK but I'll just post this LINK to a list of words I've found. Some impossible, but some suitably challenging themes. o_O

EDIT ... didn't see you there Chris

Last edited:
I echo what @susiejb says above, thanks Chris for putting the effort in, will have look through what @d00d suggested and get back to you in a couple of years with a few ideas :whistle:

Well done Chris. (y)

but .... it says: "There is a discussion thread for general chat, ideas, etc" ... link not working, is it supposed to bring you back to this thread?

Well done Chris. (y)

but .... it says: "There is a discussion thread for general chat, ideas, etc" ... link not working, is it supposed to bring you back to this thread?
I have just edited it about 4 times, it seems to be hit a miss for some strange reason, last time I tried it it worked :)

Back