The TP'ers 52 challenge for 2020 The discussion thread Week 52 Decor(ate)

Should`ve Gone to Specksavers :D
You could always slow down a bit, take a proper look instead of diving head long into the Abyss :p

Glad you boys have finished with your 'handbags at dawn' skirmish. Glad I had not not understood what I had read!! Now to put it into practise!

Once Cobra nicely pointed out about my very small mistake :D, this is the one that gave me an idea.
Is there a book on understatements? :p

I did get just a bit confused.com, but now all sorted for my tech next week.
Not just you Dave, I may have been a bit too lenient on Silhouette.
So Sorry Stan & Jim (@rpn @FlyPhot) you needed to have pure white backgrounds really. You've done well keeping the shadows away, but more background light needed for High Key.

I think this is going to be quite a hard technique to pull off, I'm not sure I'm going to manage it

So Sorry Stan & Jim (@rpn @FlyPhot) you needed to have pure white backgrounds really. You've done well keeping the shadows away, but more background light needed for High Key.

I think this is going to be quite a hard technique to pull off, I'm not sure I'm going to manage it

If it's really that critical, then the image is now changed ;)

If it's really that critical, then the image is now changed ;)
Well its not as though your'll get banned or anything :p
but I do hope that the spirit of the thing is included in the images

Well its not as though your'll get banned or anything :p
but I do hope that the spirit of the thing is included in the images

Of course it is ;)

I rather like high key images and often go out looking for good subjects, my ability shot was shot a couple of stops over exposed and was always meant to be high key, can see me trying to do a few over the next two months, would like to do some high key portraits if I can find a victim!:D

No prob, Tim @LC2 plenty of opportunities yet in the coming weeks to get the Technique.

Last edited:
Best ignore those who have set themselves up as the judge of what is and is not technique, especially as the spread sheet is no longer a true reflection of the 52.

Best ignore those who have set themselves up as the judge of what is and is not technique,
If people can't be bothered to stick to the spirit of the thing, it seems pointless having that little extra challenge, there are definite descriptions as to what is high key.
I see now that a few people have actually stuck to the definition. (y)

Best ignore those who have set themselves up as the judge of what is and is not technique, especially as the spread sheet is no longer a true reflection of the 52.

Isn't the point to challenge yourself to learn / achieve a (potentially) new technique though? I'd hope someone would let me know if I'd got the wrong end of the stick. Feedback is all part of the learning process after all...

If people don't want to do the technique then fair enough - but if you're going to join in with it then I'd think you'd want to try to get it right.

I think I have the technique correct - according to the God of All Knowledge (YouTube), you can have some texture in the background.

Feedback is all part of the learning process after all...

Feedback certainly is, one person judging whether you have achieved something to their satisfaction, never known that in the 52 before!

Anyway I will say nothing more since my contributions are not recorded on the "official" spreadsheet anyway it will not matter to me.

Anyway I will say nothing more since my contributions are not recorded on the "official" spreadsheet anyway it will not matter to me.
As I understand it, both you and Tim are ignoring each other?
I have no access to the spread sheet.
I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it if I did TBH.

As I understand it, both you and Tim are ignoring each other?
I have no access to the spread sheet.
I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it if I did TBH.
I have no one on ignore, did have one person right at the start of the 52 to avoid any unpleasantness. But stopped that after about the second week.

Woah....
I've just been made aware of this comment...

So, the story is:
I was adding @Baloo's ticks to the spreadsheet and commenting., such as
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8609085

I had a suspicion I was on ignore as not a single one of my comments had been responded to, including the one where I was checking with Roger if he wanted a technique adding (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8591210).

So anyway, this was confirmed when Roger responded to @Shugpug's comment here:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8609149
Basically I was on ignore (not sure why, but hey - maybe because I did what he asked in 2018 and removed his info from the spreadsheet when he ended up getting banned from the 52 - (I didn't think I was one of the people that clashed with Roger, but evidently I was - go read the 2018 discussion thread)).

So anyway, I make a fish (carp) joke as the shot was an underwater shot
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8609299
Yeah, maybe it was a bit crass, Roger could just have said "Tim, don't be an a***" and I would have smiled and removed it / apologized.

So what did happen?
@Baloo reported me to the mods and asked that I be banned from his thread.

@Cobra had to ask me to not comment on @Baloo's thread (@Cobra, I'm more than happy for you to confirm I was reprimanded over this).
So, I agreed with Cobra that I would put @Baloo on ignore so that I didn't feel the need to comment on his thread and save @Cobra the work adding a ban.

Being on ignore, I won't have seen his posts.
Hence the spreadsheet won't have been updated.

Seems @Baloo want's to have his cake and eat it. He wants me nowhere near his thread, yet wants me to mystically know he's posted.
Well, I'm sorry, my crystal ball is broken.

And now, I'm being put up as the "big bad" for honest critique, I'm guessing due to an imagined slight (as the two things are joined in his post), this 'slight' being the result of him wanting me banned from his thread.

Have I overstepped the mark?
Should I refrain from responding when I don't think the technique or theme has been hit (as long as I explain why and don't just say "Don't like that").
Let me know please.

(@Cobra, I'm more than happy for you to confirm I was reprimanded over this).
Indeed Tim you and I did have words, but I can assure you, it gave me no pleasure.

Should I refrain from responding when I don't think the technique or theme has been hit (as long as I explain why and don't just say "Don't like that").
Let me know please.
Well, lets clear the air then and get back to the friendly banter / exchange of idea's

@Baloo if as you say no one is on ignore feel free to respond, and clear the air once and for all.
But lets (everyone) keep this civilised eh?
Thanks (y)

Woah....
I've just been made aware of this comment...

So, the story is:
I was adding @Baloo's ticks to the spreadsheet and commenting., such as
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8609085

I had a suspicion I was on ignore as not a single one of my comments had been responded to, including the one where I was checking with Roger if he wanted a technique adding (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8591210).

So anyway, this was confirmed when Roger responded to @Shugpug's comment here:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8609149
Basically I was on ignore (not sure why, but hey - maybe because I did what he asked in 2018 and removed his info from the spreadsheet when he ended up getting banned from the 52 - (I didn't think I was one of the people that clashed with Roger, but evidently I was - go read the 2018 discussion thread)).

So anyway, I make a fish (carp) joke as the shot was an underwater shot
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8609299
Yeah, maybe it was a bit crass, Roger could just have said "Tim, don't be an a***" and I would have smiled and removed it / apologized.

So what did happen?
@Baloo reported me to the mods and asked that I be banned from his thread.

@Cobra had to ask me to not comment on @Baloo's thread (@Cobra, I'm more than happy for you to confirm I was reprimanded over this).
So, I agreed with Cobra that I would put @Baloo on ignore so that I didn't feel the need to comment on his thread and save @Cobra the work adding a ban.

Being on ignore, I won't have seen his posts.
Hence the spreadsheet won't have been updated.

Seems @Baloo want's to have his cake and eat it. He wants me nowhere near his thread, yet wants me to mystically know he's posted.
Well, I'm sorry, my crystal ball is broken.

And now, I'm being put up as the "big bad" for honest critique, I'm guessing due to an imagined slight (as the two things are joined in his post), this 'slight' being the result of him wanting me banned from his thread.

Let me know please.

One you were not on ignore.
Two, I did not report you I had a conversation with Cobra.
Three. I did not request you be banned from my thread.
Four, I just stated a fact that the spreadsheet is not an accurate representation of the 52.
Five, imho its not up to anyone to decide what is or is not good enough to be classed as technique, just as nobody ever decides what is actually on "theme" or just about everyone would have to resubmit some shoehorns.:D I do not think that opinion is unwarranted or that I should not be allowed to express it.

Those are the facts, I am not entering into what you assumed, that is up to you, as most people who assume do, you assumed wrong.

Roger

One you were not on ignore.
I was either on ignore or being ignored. The evidence is there in your thread.
For example:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8591210
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8591326
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8591631
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/52-from-baloo.705335/post-8591840
If I wasn't on ignore, you were actively ignoring me, and I can't think I did anything to even possibly warrant that until my Underwater/Fish/Carp joke.
I did comment on every one of your photos up to and including the underwater one. Not once was there acknowledgement.
Two, I did not report you I had a conversation with Cobra.
You spoke to a mod about me. Okay, so that's reporting in all but name, but fair enough, I'll have to take your word for it.
I will have to take your word for that.
Four, I just stated a fact that the spreadsheet is not an accurate representation of the 52.
From my perspective it was accurate. Would you like me to go back through your thread, comment and add the relevant ticks. I'm more than happy to.
Five, imho its not up to anyone to decide what is or is not good enough to be classed as technique, just as nobody ever decides what is actually on "theme" or just about everyone would have to resubmit some shoehorns.:D I do not think that opinion is unwarranted or that I should not be allowed to express it.
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Techniques have requirements in order to be met. If we do not politely state when these requirements are not met, then we are not helping others to grow their knowledge. It's tantamount to allowing a child to continue to think that 2+2=6 and not helping them learn it's actually 5 ! ;)
You can express your opinion and I can express mine. My preference here is for education.

If I wasn't on ignore, you were actively ignoring me, and I can't think I did anything to even possibly warrant that until my Underwater/Fish/Carp joke.
I did comment on every one of your photos up to and including the underwater one. Not once was there acknowledgement.
No you only commented on my first post I invite you to look at my thread and show me where you commented on image two or three. I have been through the thread again and cannot find any posts. Up until a couple of weeks ago I have had no internet where I live to get onto the web I have had to drive up the road and do everything on the phone. If you go back through my thread you may notice others I have not responded to, no conspiracy just BT making my life difficult.

You spoke to a mod about me. Okay, so that's reporting in all but name, but fair enough, I'll have to take your word for it.

As you have said, I was banned from the 52 in 2019 so I was very careful about responding or causing trouble, hence I had a quiet word with the man who runs the 52.

I will have to take your word for that.
Chris can confirm it to you if he wishes, I merely asked if you could not be civil could you not comment. I rather hoped you could just be civil!

From my perspective it was accurate. Would you like me to go back through your thread, comment and add the relevant ticks. I'm more than happy to.
From your perspective that may be the case, however the fact is that it is not accurate for whatever reason.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Techniques have requirements in order to be met. If we do not politely state when these requirements are not met, then we are not helping others to grow their knowledge. It's tantamount to allowing a child to continue to think that 2+2=6 and not helping them learn it's actually 5 ! ;)
You can express your opinion and I can express mine. My preference here is for education.
Fine so why all the fuss?

Edit, I put my thread on watch with Email alerts, so I responded to the Emails when I got them, the problem with that is that if two emails arrive one after the other its easy to miss one. Hence why some posts were missed.

Last edited:
I have never been good with saying things, I jump before and regret it sometimes so to @Baloo ( Roger ) I am sorry for my dig at you when Chris told me to play nice. If you want then I`d gladly comment on your 52 as it would be nice if you did the same. I have now taken you off my ignore as I thought you might be ignoring me.
All I will say is, CAN WE ALL PLEASE GET BACK TO HOW IT USE TO BE IN HERE, HAVE FUN AND BANTER.

I have never been good with saying things, I jump before and regret it sometimes so to @Baloo ( Roger ) I am sorry for my dig at you when Chris told me to play nice. If you want then I`d gladly comment on your 52 as it would be nice if you did the same. I have now taken you off my ignore as I thought you might be ignoring me.
All I will say is, CAN WE ALL PLEASE GET BACK TO HOW IT USE TO BE IN HERE, HAVE FUN AND BANTER.
Suits me, I really enjoy the 52.

Edit. PS I am the same that is why this year I have not responded to potentially negative posts and sometimes deleted posts I thought were less than judicious!

Last edited:
Chris can confirm it to you if he wishes, I merely asked if you could not be civil could you not comment.
Indeed I did say that to Tim. And iirc he agreed a self ban from your thread.

Techniques have requirements in order to be met. If we do not politely state when these requirements are not met, then we are not helping others to grow their knowledge.
And I totally agree with Tim on this.
The whole 52 is supposed to be fun, and many themes are open to interpretation, Good, everyone use their brain and have a think.
But the techniques are / all have solid definitions, are are not open to interpretation.
If I said HDR ( yes there is still plenty of time :p ) and someone posted a high contrast image that is hardly correct.

just about everyone would have to resubmit some shoehorns.
That'll be me then :p

Is this done now?

Reactions: rpn
No you only commented on my first post I invite you to look at my thread and show me where you commented on image two or three. I have been through the thread again and cannot find any posts. Up until a couple of weeks ago I have had no internet where I live to get onto the web I have had to drive up the road and do everything on the phone. If you go back through my thread you may notice others I have not responded to, no conspiracy just BT making my life difficult.
My bad. I would have sworn I commented on the others, I remember thinking that the glider was a cool shot.
Fine so why all the fuss?
Because you called me out (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ead-week-10-depict-a-book.703932/post-8644285), was i expected to just ignore it?
If you go back through my thread you may notice others I have not responded to, no conspiracy just BT making my life difficult.
Okay, I can understand that, combined with your comment about having to do everything on the phone.
However, you must be able to see it from my perspective too, I asked if you wanted the technique, and you responded to Chris asking, completely blanking me.
Is this done now?
Well almost.
@Baloo hasn't let me know on this:
Would you like me to go back through your thread, comment and add the relevant ticks. I'm more than happy to.

CAN WE ALL PLEASE GET BACK TO HOW IT USE TO BE IN HERE, HAVE FUN AND BANTER
Sounds good to me Dave.

Indeed I did say that to Tim. And iirc he agreed a self ban from your thread.

And I totally agree with Tim on this.
The whole 52 is supposed to be fun, and many themes are open to interpretation, Good, everyone use their brain and have a think.
But the techniques are / all have solid definitions, are are not open to interpretation.
If I said HDR ( yes there is still plenty of time :p ) and someone posted a high contrast image that is hardly correct.

That'll be me then :p

Is this done now?
Yeah, as long as I am not going to get banned again;)

But we can agree to disagree on the technique thing, there are obviously shots that do not fit the technique, but there is a huge grey area, HDR is a prime example, 3 images a couple of stops apart is HDR to me but others probably do not think so:exit:

Yeah, as long as I am not going to get banned again;)
Hmmmm let me think about it :p

HDR is a prime example, 3 images a couple of stops apart is HDR to me but others probably do not think so:exit:
As long as it increases the luminosity and definition of the image then yes it can be.

"HDR, or high-dynamic range, it can usually offer brighter highlights and a wider range of color detail, for a punchier image overall".

And it certainly shouldn't look like its been coloured in by a 5 year old.

Back